Dish 411's Now Available

Scott Greczkowski said:
Remember these receivers are meant more for new customers, but if you want to upgrade now you are being given that option.

...but at this point, are there any mpeg4 channels that can be decoded by the 411 that can't be seen by the 811? (besides the hd locals)

cbstv said:
...but at this point, are there any mpeg4 channels that can be decoded by the 411 that can't be seen by the 811? (besides the hd locals)

NO there is no MPEG 4 content avail right now (to customers) and it looks like the first thing they will probally offer in MPEG4 is HD locals to a few big cities.

So...

That's why these receivers cost an arm and a leg and thus why there is no upgrade plans yet. I know a lot of E* bashing happens from time to time but I think when Charlie is ready to move channels to Mpeg 4 or bring out mass MPEG 4 general content we'll see the receiver prices differ and things change...

Right now these are basically available at cost to those who want to upgrade (kinda like you can by a no strings attached 942 at near cost)

You will probally see 411's and 211's appear in new subs homes though at some point (as it would be cheaper to give a new sub a 411 so you dont have to upgrade them later to 411s after moving away from mpeg2)

my two cents at least. I will stick with my old SD only legacy 4900 receiver until there is a good reason to upgrade :)

if & when i do upgrade, will the next generation of mpeg4 receivers (411, 211, 611 etc.) work with my current dp34/dish500/dish300 set-up? or do i have to change-out the whole she-bang?

[EDIT]: Oops, dishstore.net has them now. That date must've been wrong earlier.

I'm hearing sketchy rumors that the 211's may be available next week. The 411's became available yesterday to retailers that are picking up from their distributors. I believe dishstore.net has them available NOW.

By the way, their prices are very good. ;) Even we can't sell at those prices.

Looks slimmer and better than 811, but the DVR remote with all those buttons are going to make people confused. they should have included new dedicated 411/211 remote without dvr buttons.

I wouldn't rush to get one of these untill there is actual programming offer beyond what you can already get with the 811. I think they are getting these out on the market in anticipation of rolling out mpeg 4 channels and to assure new customers that they are getting the latest equipement that will be able to receive future programming. Once they actually do start broadcasting in mpeg 4, I would expect some plan to allow current customers to upgrade at a reasonable costs.
I think the only reason they are available for sale to existing subs right now is becuase they know that some subs will be clamoring for the latest and greatest receiver even if it doesn't provide anything new at this time.

DishBacker said:
USB? Think that can be used with a pocketdish to record what you are watching?

...Rose colored glasses, hands over eyes, and a complete memory wipe of EchoStar history....

Wouldn't it be INCREDIBLY COOL if you would plug a hard drive into the USB port and turn the puppy into a PVR?

Ethernet: I suppose the most likely use is removal of the phone line requirement, and a connection for interactive features. Now, my dream function would be to use the box as a remote STB for a centralized PVR (though they gotta get the price down).

Scott Greczkowski said:
Remember these receivers are meant more for new customers, but if you want to upgrade now you are being given that option.

DirecTV is getting $ 199 for this same type receiver with a $ 200 rebate, and this deal is good for new or existing customers. Charlie has lost his mind.:confused:

My feeling is if the new channels (other than the locals) are in MPEG2 than I think Dish is doing the right thing. However, if they put all the new channels in MPEG4 (which seems to be a distinct possibility now according to the uplink information) then they are forcing existing customers to upgrade, and that would be disgraceful. If he puts the new channels only in MPEG4 he is trying to get everyone to pay this ridiculous upgrade price.

I have a 811 that I own (not leased). I wouldn't think that it will be that much to upgrade to a 411/211. I guess its just wishful thinking!!!!

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
[EDIT]: Oops, dishstore.net has them now. That date must've been wrong earlier.

I'm hearing sketchy rumors that the 211's may be available next week. The 411's became available yesterday to retailers that are picking up from their distributors. I believe dishstore.net has them available NOW.

By the way, their prices are very good. ;) Even we can't sell at those prices.

This picture (This picture) shows all the 411's that DishStore.NET got in today. :)

Almost half of them are gone already.

I thought the Facts Blasts for retailers not long ago stated that a coax cable and telephone wire package was included in the 411 and the 211 was to get the bag of wires except for the coax.

Check this out the 411 already on Ebay, buy now for $550! There is a picture with everything that comes with it and it shows cables! Ill try to post picture here!

Limiting the number of saved episodes??

Merge 110, 119, 61.5 using DP34 -- A question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)