dish 500, added rcvr dp301 = switch malfunction ? :(

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

adminrootJ

Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
north
Ok, hope this explanation of my setup makes sense... I have a dish 500 system (rcvr 625?). Two sat dishes, 119 and 110.

Before the dish 500, we had the original dish setup circa 1996 w/ 2 rcvrs... So when the 500 was installed, the guy pointed the old dish at 110 (from 119), and setup a new dish pointing at 119. He installed 2 sw21's and a vm-3400. The old dish / old lnb he connected directly to the sw21's. The new dish / new lnb he connected to the VM-3400, which then itself connects to the other ports on the sw21's. Now there was just the one rcvr, a dual tuner dvr. Things worked great.

Recently I wanted to add a rcvr in a bedroom, a DP301. So I got an sw21 for the rcvr, and I got another VM-3400 to use with the old dish / old lnb because i needed more outputs.. the two direct lnb connections were being used. I connected them to the VM-3400. So now I have two dishes w/ dual LNBs, each is connected to a VM-3400. So each dish has 4 outputs available. I needed to use 3 outputs. 2 outputs on each VM-3400 for the dual tuner dvr rcvr, and 1 output on each VM-3400 for the DP301. The outputs all connect to 3 different sw21's of course.

I wired it all up. The dual tuner dvr rcvr is fine, passes all switch tests, receives all channels, just as before. However the DP301 has problems. Running a switch test shows 119 Odd, 119 Even, and 110 Even are working. 110 Odd has an 'X'. Most channels work ok (because they're coming from 119 I think). But a few say switch malfunction when I try them, or a strange error about 'being out of area'. 195 and nearby channels are bad, for example.

Is my setup wrong? Maybe the old LNB won't jive with the switches? But then why does the dish 500 rcvr work fine?

any help appreciated

For a Lrgacy system your setup sounds correct. Suspect either your new SW-21 is bad or one port on your 3x4 switch is bad, try substituting your known good equipment.

Good advice, thanks. I found and fixed the problem. It turned out to be two things:

1. a bad port on my new switch (mebe I shorted something out during install??)

2. a 100 foot length of rg59, which I replaced with rg6

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts