dish 500 and SA Tivo

stratguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Nashville
I have a dish 500 with a dual LNB with DP 34 switch which is connected to my 721 which uses 2 of the outputs from the DP 34 and a third line from the DP 34 is going to my 501 in another room. The question I have is can I run a fourth line from the DP 34 to a SA Tivo series 2 and it work without paying the monthly fee to Tivo. I have heard that Tivo has a very basic interface that it can use if you decide not to pay the fee. I am not wanting to cheat Tivo in any way I'm just trying to be frugal. Of course all of the questions about the Tivo are moot if it will not work from a fourth output on my DP 34. Thanks for any help. I hope this is in the right forum I searched through the forums and this one looked like the closest one to my post. :)

As I understand it, TiVos have 2 tuners and require 2 cables.

You may need to replace your 4-output ** with a 5 or 8 output **.

That is all I know about TiVos, and by not owning one yet, all i can say about em.

For all that I know there are versions of TiVos with ony one tuner. XD
If the Product Description of the TiVo you are looking to buy doesn't say 'Dual Tuner' or 'Single Tuner' you can tell which one it is by:
If it lets ya record one show and watch another at the same time it is dual tuner.
If it lets you record more than one show at the same time it is dual tuner.
If it lets you record 2 shows at the same time while watching a third chanel it is 3 tuner and you need 3 wires run to it (i am not certian if this model exists yet though).

As for you question regarding the TiVo Fee, you can go the the folowing website to get a phone number to call and ask them about it:
http://www.tivo.com/4.2.4.asp

joethedude said:
As I understand it, TiVos have 2 tuners and require 2 cables.

You may need to replace your 4-output ** with a 5 or 8 output **.

That is all I know about TiVos, and by not owning one yet, all i can say about em.

For all that I know there are versions of TiVos with ony one tuner. XD
If the Product Description of the TiVo you are looking to buy doesn't say 'Dual Tuner' or 'Single Tuner' you can tell which one it is by:
If it lets ya record one show and watch another at the same time it is dual tuner.
If it lets you record more than one show at the same time it is dual tuner.
If it lets you record 2 shows at the same time while watching a third chanel it is 3 tuner and you need 3 wires run to it (i am not certian if this model exists yet though).

As for you question regarding the TiVo Fee, you can go the the folowing website to get a phone number to call and ask them about it:
http://www.tivo.com/4.2.4.asp

Thanks Joe, for the info I do know that my Tivo is a one tuner machine so we have that problem fixed. I just need to find out if the DP 34 switch will support a fourth line out with a dual lnb. I will go to the link and check out about the minimul interface. I do appreciate it. Bob

This is new! I had no clue that a stand-alone Tivo could receive E* programming direct from the satellite. Where would I learn more about this amazing new device?

tivo

that's funny.
I have a 7200 DVR and bought a series 2 tivo.
I called Tivo to see if I could hook it up by itself and they said no.
There is no tuner.
They said I had to hook it up through the 7200.
so I returned the tivo and ordered the 721!
:cool:

hee hee

Hi guys, thanks for the humor I too love a joke and funny replies but you took my question out of context the question I asked was (The question I have is can I run a fourth line from the DP 34 to a SA Tivo series 2 and it work without paying the monthly fee to Tivo) So you see I really did not say that the SA Tivo would do the things that you are assuming I wanted it to do. I just merely asked if it was possible. I do have a 301 lying around just in case the SA Tivo had no tuner in it. I repeat I never stated that the Tivo had a tuner in it I just wanted to know if my particular idea would work.

It would have been very much easier and to the point if you guys just replied to my questions and told me that it would not work without the Tivo being connected to a receiver of some sort.

You guys were having so much fun posting statements about my lack of knowledge that you "forgot" to answer any of the other questions. Now that I know that I have to use a receiver with my Tivo. Can any one answer the other questions.

1. Can I run four receivers off of my DP 34 with a dual LNB as I already am sending three lines to other boxes in my home.

In conclusion I just want to say please keep up the humor on this site even the sarcasm because I too can have fun and very little patience with newbie seemingly stupid questions, but at least have the professionalism to answer the questions after you poke fun. Tv satellite is not my strong suite of knowledge. I have a 20 year history of recording music and playing it to make my living. I can tell you anything you want to know about digital HD recording and just about any thing you need to know about PC's which I have my Microsoft certified training license in Microsoft office suites and many others. So I hope my newbie questions will be short lived as I am a very fast learner and I expect to be up on the satellite business in a few short months but please bear with me while I am learning.

I now no better than to leave any holes in my questions because it seems that certain posters are waiting in the lurches to jump and show their great intelligence to an ignorant newbie!

Bob

stratguy said:
1. Can I run four receivers off of my DP 34 with a dual LNB as I already am sending three lines to other boxes in my home.

Bob
The DP34 switch is designed to and will drive four (Dish) receivers.
I know nothing about TIVO other than that it is not a Dish receiver.

Thanks grandude that is the most important question and I appreciate the answer. I think the other guys set me straight on the Tivo questions :)

Yeah, well, stratguy, I was expecting you to tell me about the new Tivo E* receiver. And then joethedude posted something that sure seemed like Tivo DID have something (that's what I get for not checking post counts). After the followup post from a Gary, that I know knows something, I got the clue.

BTW, the context of your question WAS that the Tivo would receive E* - or you really, really, do know nothing about how any of this stuff works.

Well the main point is that I got my questions answered about Tivo and the DP 34 although be it with much belittling. Oh by the way Simple if I may use your first name I have never in jest asked a rhetorical question and I am not afraid to admit that as of right now I know very little about this technology. So as for right now I will plead guilty to "or you really, really, do know nothing about how any of this stuff works." As far as in 2 to 3 months goes I will be one of the helpful members like you and Gary that help newbies such as me and I'll probably have the same level knowledge but I hope I can use it in a non condescending way. Thanks for all of the help. :neener

Lets close this thread as it is going no where and I really do love humor I guess since the wreck I have been a little sensitive now that I have my wheel chair maybe my spirits will be better. No harm no foul. Lets have fun on this forum :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)