Dish 500 and VIP211K receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

vvsarpsjr

Original poster
Jan 23, 2010
Virginia
I am trying to be able to set up a mobile Dish system to use for NASCAR and camping. We have a Dish VP2111K receiver that we could take from the house and were given a Dish 500 dish with a dp plus digital LNBF model AK72-BTE. Is this a compatible set-up. Would like to know before I try and I could not find any information on whether the two would work together. Thank you

Yes, it will work fine. That's a pretty standard set up these days. The hardest part for most customers is figuring out how to point the dish, but once you've mastered that it's as easy as can be.

~Dish Network installer

Just a side note. You will only get just a few HD channels off the 110* orbital with a 500 dish. You would need to pick up the 129*, or 61.5 to view the rest. You will however get all the SD national channels in your channel package.

Thanks for the replies. Glad that the setup has a chance to work; since I am a novice I wanted to avoid severe frustration if there were issues I didn't know about. Will try a dry run today in the backyard. I don't think it will bother me not to have the HD channels, although we recently just upgraded our tv and satellite service to be able to have HD and the difference is remarkable. I live in central Virginia and the home has a TurboHD dish and one channel congratulates me that we are connected to the 61.5 satellite

I am trying to be able to set up a mobile Dish system to use for NASCAR and camping. We have a Dish VP2111K receiver that we could take from the house and were given a Dish 500 dish with a dp plus digital LNBF model AK72-BTE. Is this a compatible set-up. Would like to know before I try and I could not find any information on whether the two would work together. Thank you

Yes. It is fine. Be advised, you will NOT be able to receive HD channels using a Dish 500 antenna.
However, you can take the 500 dish and point it to the 61.5 satelliteand get most programming available in HD. That is if you are subscribed to HD.
To do this set the skew at 90*. 61.5 is much higher in the sky and will allow more opportunities for reception in tight places where there may be trees and other rv's parked next to yours.
If you are a NASCAR fan, no doubt you have visited Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Azimuth there is 154 degrees Elevation is 45 degrees.
Here's a list of what's on the 61.5
http://www.dishuser.org/61-5list.php

Thank you I will try that. I tried to get the setup working this afternoon in the backyard with no luck. I got the receiver to check the switch and recognize it but there was a message saying if I saved the changes it would decrease the number of satellites it previously programmed to recognize. I hit save, probably a mistake? Switch seems to be working fine according to the diagnostics but it reports no signal from either the 110 or 119 satellite I was aiming for. I do have a satellite signal indicator and it reported that signal strength in 110 and 119 direction was good. I guess I have not programmed the receiver correctly right? Seems like from what you said I should have left it alone and aimed for the 61.5 satellite. Ugh. Can I correct what I have done or do have any suggestions.

Central VA local HD's are coming off 129, I would try to hit that before the 61.5 point. Its at a elevation of 23degree's but you should be able to hit it in a open area.

Set the skew to 129, elevation to 23 for a single LNB hook up and you can often times find old dish's at yard sales people are just tryin to unload.

If possible you could try to just get a 1000.2 setup to get 110,119 and 129 all in one shot... HD's may be on 61.5 but HD locals are not and being in Central VA you would most likely want those in HD since most sporting events are on those channels.

Thank you I will try that. I tried to get the setup working this afternoon in the backyard with no luck. I got the receiver to check the switch and recognize it but there was a message saying if I saved the changes it would decrease the number of satellites it previously programmed to recognize. I hit save, probably a mistake? Switch seems to be working fine according to the diagnostics but it reports no signal from either the 110 or 119 satellite I was aiming for. I do have a satellite signal indicator and it reported that signal strength in 110 and 119 direction was good. I guess I have not programmed the receiver correctly right? Seems like from what you said I should have left it alone and aimed for the 61.5 satellite. Ugh. Can I correct what I have done or do have any suggestions.
Yes! "save" is the corect choice. BY doing that, you are telling the receiver to accept the new satellite.
Yes, take you meter or the device you are using and repeat the dish peaking
Run check switch. Then you'll see a message indicating you are receiving fewer sats. Select "save". Then it will ask again. Select "save" again.
BTW after you have run check switch the result of which sats to which you are pointed.
I can help. What are the first three digits of you home zip code?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts