Dish 500, dual LNB and South Asian channels

renegade_g

Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
Texas
I have a dish 500 with DPP twin LNB. I have a DP311 reciever. I would like to get ch 667 (kondattam TV) and ch 610 (SunTV). Based on my research, both channels come on 148 deg location (transponder 25 and 11 respectively). Currently, only one side of the dual LNB is hooked up to my reciever. The cable from other LNB is not connected. Dish network says that I can only get SunTV (ch610) but NOT kondattam TV (ch 667). I have following questions:

1. Can I get these two channels with dish 500 and DP311 reciever?
2. Do I have to combine the signals from the dual LNB? If yes, what kind of switch should I use? I have SW21 and STSV switch with me.

Thanks,

The DPP Twin is used to receive 110 and 119. The DPP has an internal switch that sends the signal from 110 and 119 over a single cable. That's why you only have one cable going to your receiver. And even if you could use the DPP Twin to get 148, you wouldn't be able to get 110 and 119 (where your other programming resides) because they are about 30 degrees apart.

To do what you want, you'll need a wing dish with a DP single. You plug that wing dish into the LNB IN port on the DPP Twin LNB. You will still have a single cable going to the receiver.

Have you called Dish to ask how much it would cost to have that installed?

As for saying you can only get 610, that may because it is the only one that is ala carte. You might have to subscribe to a package to get the other.

Last edited:
Dish Network said that they will charge $199 for installation which is very steep. I am able to pick up 148 (about 35-60% strength depending on which transponder I choose) and can get SunTV (ch 610). But I don't get Kondattam TV (667) or ZeeTV (611) - both are supposed to be on 148 as well.
I don't get 110 or 119.

1. Does transponder selection matter?
2. Why I am not getting 110/119 but getting 148 instead?
3. I bought the reciever on eBay. It is a new reciever with a purple card. But Dish Network said that they will have to send me a new card to get more south asian channels. I though purple card was the new card.

If you are already getting 148, then you have the ability to receive those other channels. You are only getting 148 because that's the satellite your dish is aimed at. To get 110 and 119, you'd have to re-aim the dish. But if you only want those channels, then it wouldn't make much sense to re-aim. Alot of the internation comes off 148.

As for transponders, that's not really the issue.

What package do you have? To get the other channels you have to have the a specific package . The SunTV is ala carte.

From your first post, I though maybe you had the DPP Twin and a Dual. You need another dish and a DP Dual. Point the new dish at 110/119 using the DPP Twin you'll remove from the 148 dish. Put the DP Dual on the 148 dish, run a line from it to the DPP Twin's LNB In port.

This will work until the rest of the internationals are taken off 148 at which point you'll be needing a Dish 500+ for 110/118.75/119.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)