Dish 500 ground mount-What size pipe?

Murphdog

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
I'm setting up a ground mount for my Dish 500 at my new home. Does anyone know what size pipe the dish would mount on?. I've searched everywhere for this info with no luck and I was hoping to save a trip up onto my current roof. Thanks in advance!!!

Murphdog said:
I'm setting up a ground mount for my Dish 500 at my new home. Does anyone know what size pipe the dish would mount on?. I've searched everywhere for this info with no luck and I was hoping to save a trip up onto my current roof. Thanks in advance!!!

it should be a 1 5/8" OD.

Murphdog...... I line post for chain lenght fencing works great. Local Menards - $7.00 Flatten one end with a hammer and if you can, run a along screw ( 2-1/2 ) thru the end that you flatten. This will prevent the pole from ever spinning.

Even better way to stop dish from spinning. Get a 3" x 7" mending plate, they cost .52 at and home inprovement store. Use 4 3/4" self tapping screws to attach it to the pole. Mount plate about 30" from bottom of pole.

This way you don't have to dig a big hole and fill with cement. Just pound the pole in untill the plate is below ground level. Then bend pole untill plumb.

Easier is the 1-5/8" muffler clamp for about $1 at Auto Zone or Advance auto. No drilling or self tapping screws are needed.

Concrete is the only permanent option. Mix it as dry as possible. Just add enough so it is wet throughout. Tamp it down around the pole in the hole with a board and a sledge hammer. Leave the bottom of the pole open so that it will drain. Water in the pole will cause it to rust out quickly.

Concrete is only permanent if you dig the hole with a tapper from the bottom to the top. Nobody does it right and the concrete come right out of the ground, or the pole pulls right out.

I did c-band many years ago. The dish mounted on a pole is a lever arm, with the point at which the pole enters the ground being the fulcrum. The weight of the concrete prevents the movement of the dish on the pole.

I've mounted dishes in heavy stable hard clay in South Carolina and on the loose sand dunes of the Atlantic beaches. For a Dish500 only a 4 inch x20 inch hole made by an Iwan auger and about 20 pounds of concrete were needed. On the Outer Banks of North Carolina I needed three 60 pound bags of concrete. The hole was 14x28 inches. It's basic engineering.

I would never recomend bending the pole.

Well I am up in the north country and we have to dig at least 3 feet down, and place brackets on the pole and use 2 bags of cement. Last year we replace about 20 poles no cement the frostline pushed them completely out of the ground when it thawed. Oh by the way the frostline up here is about 3 to 4 ft down

Problems Receiving 110/119 & 61.5 at the Same Time

811 and Copy Protection

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)