Dish 500 + Single Dish or Dish 1000(.2?) for HD in NJ?

brettb

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
I live in central NJ (with NY locals) and am upgrading to HD on Saturday. I have a Dish 500 on the front of the house and a single Dish on the back for 61.5. The single dish is not currently connected. It had been installed a few years ago so we'd receive extra NY PBS's but when I upgraded from a 508 to a 625 last year, the tech told me that we didn't need it anymore.

So my question is this: If I have a choice of 61.5 by reconnecting the single dish or 129 by upgrading the Dish 500 to a 1000.2(?), what's the better choice? Am I likely to see any differences in signal strength or feed quality?

Thanks!
Brett

Leave the 61.5 dish as I hear signal quality for 129 for us in the northeast sucks! I have this setup and have signal trouble maybe once a year.

I live in central NJ (with NY locals) and am upgrading to HD on Saturday. I have a Dish 500 on the front of the house and a single Dish on the back for 61.5. The single dish is not currently connected. It had been installed a few years ago so we'd receive extra NY PBS's but when I upgraded from a 508 to a 625 last year, the tech told me that we didn't need it anymore.

So my question is this: If I have a choice of 61.5 by reconnecting the single dish or 129 by upgrading the Dish 500 to a 1000.2(?), what's the better choice? Am I likely to see any differences in signal strength or feed quality?

Thanks!
Brett
If you want the NYC HD locals, you need the 61.5 dish. Go with the D500 + 61.5 dish. You'll be much happier.

If you want the NYC HD locals, you need the 61.5 dish. Go with the D500 + 61.5 dish. You'll be much happier.

Huh! The tech I spoke to at Dish said that the NY HD locals were simulcast on 129.

In case it wasn't obvious, I'm not that experienced with all the ins and outs of the satellites, the dish options, etc.

Is there somewhere I can see a list of which channels are on what satellite? And what dishes can pick up which satellites? (I'm pretty sure the Dish 500 gets 119 and 121, but I have no idea what any flavor of the 1000's do.)

Also, though my zip and mailing address are Princeton (08540), we actually live in Montgomery Township, immediately to the north. We're in the NY DMA while Princeton (a block away) is in the Philly DMA.

Thanks!
Brett

Huh! The tech I spoke to at Dish said that the NY HD locals were simulcast on 129.

In case it wasn't obvious, I'm not that experienced with all the ins and outs of the satellites, the dish options, etc.

Is there somewhere I can see a list of which channels are on what satellite? And what dishes can pick up which satellites? (I'm pretty sure the Dish 500 gets 119 and 121, but I have no idea what any flavor of the 1000's do.)

Also, though my zip and mailing address are Princeton (08540), we actually live in Montgomery Township, immediately to the north. We're in the NY DMA while Princeton (a block away) is in the Philly DMA.

Thanks!
Brett
The D500 picks up 110 & 119. The D1000 would pick up 110/119/129. The Plus dishes (D500+ & D1000+) add the 118.7 sat. Here is the link to the E* Channel Chart. EKB: Dish Network Channel Chart (Unofficial)
The NYC HD locals are on the 61.5 sat along with Boston, Philly and DC.
EKB: Dish Network Channels at 61.5°

Thanks!
Brett

Csr's are full of misinformation. Unless you want foreign language channels, Dish 500 for 110/119 and second dish for 61.5 should be fine. You can check here: EKB: Dish Network Channel Chart (Unofficial)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)