Dish 500 swithc problems

nashle

Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Hi Guys,

I have a dish 500 antenna with dual head. After a strong wind a couple of days ago I lost the signal. After tinkering with the dish I got the signal on 110 satellite but not 119. I can rotate the dish to 119 and get the signal, but then 110 show as "Wrong Satellite" It seems that the only head that is working is the one labeled "119". I suspect it is the switch that is malfunctioning. Is there a way to reset that switch. Numerous calls to Dish network's customer support were just a waste of time. Turning the receiver or resetting using the Power button did not help.

I would appreciate the help.

nashle said:
Hi Guys,

I have a dish 500 antenna with dual head. After a strong wind a couple of days ago I lost the signal. After tinkering with the dish I got the signal on 110 satellite but not 119. I can rotate the dish to 119 and get the signal, but then 110 show as "Wrong Satellite" It seems that the only head that is working is the one labeled "119". I suspect it is the switch that is malfunctioning. Is there a way to reset that switch. Numerous calls to Dish network's customer support were just a waste of time. Turning the receiver or resetting using the Power button did not help.

I would appreciate the help.
It is possible the mast has moved and it out of plumb....
If that is the deal, it makes it somewhat difficult to get sigs on both orbital slots....Check the mast to see that it is plumb..If it isn't take a 7/16th wrench or socket and plumb the mast.....Put the dish back on.....go to your receiver ....on the remote...menu... go to system setup,select....installation, select....point dish,select....
enter your zip code..at the botom of the screen you will see the azimuth skew and elevation displayed.....crank the volume and throw open a window......set your dish back on the mast......make sure your elevation and skew are set after you plumb the mast......now slowly turn the dish..listen for the tone on the tv ..the hiogher the pitch, the better the signal....Now....as the pitch gets higher..keep turning the dish until you hear the tone pitch start to lower..STOP.....turn the dish slowly back in the opposite direction....when the pitch sharpens again STOP......Tighten the nuts on the mast.....after doing this.....gently grasp the dish on top and bottom....then gently move the dish up and down..do the same side to side....if the signal pitch lowers on each move..you have peaked the dish..tighten the nuts firmly...yer done..!!!!!!

dishcomm said:
It is possible the mast has moved and it out of plumb....
If that is the deal, it makes it somewhat difficult to get sigs on both orbital slots....Check the mast to see that it is plumb..If it isn't take a 7/16th wrench or socket and plumb the mast.....Put the dish back on.....go to your receiver ....on the remote...menu... go to system setup,select....installation, select....point dish,select....
enter your zip code..at the botom of the screen you will see the azimuth skew and elevation displayed.....crank the volume and throw open a window......set your dish back on the mast......make sure your elevation and skew are set after you plumb the mast......now slowly turn the dish..listen for the tone on the tv ..the hiogher the pitch, the better the signal....Now....as the pitch gets higher..keep turning the dish until you hear the tone pitch start to lower..STOP.....turn the dish slowly back in the opposite direction....when the pitch sharpens again STOP......Tighten the nuts on the mast.....after doing this.....gently grasp the dish on top and bottom....then gently move the dish up and down..do the same side to side....if the signal pitch lowers on each move..you have peaked the dish..tighten the nuts firmly...yer done..!!!!!!

Thanks,

I will try that tomorrow.

I am trying to understand things here.
This is what I do. I can maximize the signal on 119 by rotating the dish. when switching the receiver to 110 it displays Wrong satelite msg. I put my hand in front of 119 LNBF and see that signal drops. 110 LNBF - no effect. Then I rotate the dish and get decent signal on 110. switching the receiver to 119 indicates a wrong satelite. If I block the signal with my hand it is 119 LNBF that's working not the 110 one. I am thinking that it only one LNBF (119) is working and switch is not. What is wrong?

nashle said:
Thanks,

I will try that tomorrow.

I am trying to understand things here.
This is what I do. I can maximize the signal on 119 by rotating the dish. when switching the receiver to 110 it displays Wrong satelite msg. I put my hand in front of 119 LNBF and see that signal drops. 110 LNBF - no effect. Then I rotate the dish and get decent signal on 110. switching the receiver to 119 indicates a wrong satelite. If I block the signal with my hand it is 119 LNBF that's working not the 110 one. I am thinking that it only one LNBF (119) is working and switch is not. What is wrong?
let me know how it works out.....I will help you trouble shoot if ther are any problems....No charge:)

dishcomm said:
let me know how it works out.....I will help you trouble shoot if ther are any problems....No charge:)

Thanks,

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. A few days back the receiver was acting kidn of weird. It would not show certain channels and complain about the switch not functioning. But if you flip the channels a few times the message would go away and everything was working fine. Then some cahnnels quit working. I had to realign the dish to get those channels to work. But then others wouldn't (back to 110 and 119 satellites).

BigJohn2 said:
If you are using sw-21 switch that maybe bad. I know I have replaced 2 or 3 sw-21 on my dish500.

Later,

BigJohn2

Big John, Thanks for the advice, I will buy one right now.

remove the dish off the mast and make sure the mast is perfectly (Or close) as possible to being plumb vertical (Considered Level or Plumb) Stick the dish back on, make sure you didnt change any dial settings at previous attempts and adjust untill you get signal ;)

How could one verify if the switch is working? Should I just apply 12V to the outlet and check the continuity?

If you are using a 21switch, eliminate it and connect 119 LNB to the receiver, check signal, if it's good then 119 LNB and cables are good. Then do the same with 110, if that is good then put switch bac in line and check signal. If the 110 is still not there then you have a bad switch. P.M. me if you need a switch or two.

wobbie said:
If you are using a 21switch, eliminate it and connect 119 LNB to the receiver, check signal, if it's good then 119 LNB and cables are good. Then do the same with 110, if that is good then put switch bac in line and check signal. If the 110 is still not there then you have a bad switch. P.M. me if you need a switch or two.

Wobbie,

I did just that. When swapping cable between 110 and 119 everything works (one at a time). I wasn't able to get to the switch though. The whole thing is sealed and I did not wnated to mess with it until I get the replacement. I read the part number off and it is 071582 (or some other combination of these numbers, can't remember).
I saw those on e-bay and I will go ahead and buy one then.

Thank you all for help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)