Dish 500 to 512 DVR Problems

Proficio

Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
Texas
Hello all, thanks in advance for any help that may be provided!!!

Im attempting to configure a Dish setup at my second residence on the down low.........lol.
The house had a Turbo HD dish on the roof already but my receiver from my primary residence was a 512 DVR. I purchased a 500 dish off ebay and have been attempting to set it up to no avail all morning. Every setup I try leaves me with no connection to the satelite at all when I run a check switch. My last attempt involved hooking the 512 directly to the 500 on the roof, sat in 1 to the 119 side of the dish, no switches or anything and it still doesnt even show up in check switch.

So heres question number 1, if the receiver is good(confirmed) shouldn't the dish, if good(ebay, unconfirmed), show up in check switch no matter if its picking up a bird or not??????

If you do not have signal, you will not necessarily see anything by doing a check switch. The existing dish should give you something however, unless it was moved or damaged. Are you getting any signal strength when trying to point either dish?

The previous dish gave me great signal, pointed at 61.5. My receiver picked up all the birds just fine but I only had like 12 channels. I was lead to believe this was because it was a HD 1000.4 dish and I was using a standard def 512 receiver. I never tried pointing the Turbo HD dish at the 110 or 119 bird because I thought it wouldn't work.

The previous dish gave me great signal, pointed at 61.5. My receiver picked up all the birds just fine but I only had like 12 channels. I was lead to believe this was because it was a HD 1000.4 dish and I was using a standard def 512 receiver. I never tried pointing the Turbo HD dish at the 110 or 119 bird because I thought it wouldn't work.

Right on all counts. The 512 can only pick up a few MPEG-2 SD channels. Most everything on Eastern Arc is mpeg-4, which cannot be handled by a 512. It should work on Western Arc though...

You cannot repoint an EA dish to the WA, because of the dissimilar spacing of satellites in the sky.

So now I just need to get my lazy butt back on the roof and continue to try to point the ebay dish 500 I purchased.

So here's Questions 2: Is there a way to confirm the LNBs in the dish I purchased from ebay are good?
And Now Question 3: What is the best way to wire everything up to give me the best chance of successfullly pointing while on the roof? I have a small TV and the receiver rght there. I have a DPD2 and a DishPro Plus diplexer.

So now I just need to get my lazy butt back on the roof and continue to try to point the ebay dish 500 I purchased.

So here's Questions 2: Is there a way to confirm the LNBs in the dish I purchased from ebay are good?
And Now Question 3: What is the best way to wire everything up to give me the best chance of successfullly pointing while on the roof? I have a small TV and the receiver rght there. I have a DPD2 and a DishPro Plus diplexer.

Do you know what type they are and if they are the same type, also is there a switch?, If they a single or dual (only looking at one sat) you can replace it for the 61.5 on your already pointed dish 1000 to see if you get the same 12 channels as before.

Ok, so I toke my new ebay legacy 500 twin lnb to my other house and plugged it up and it acquired the birds. Then using the compass heading I got from that dish I was able to get my new dish pointed in minutes(I guess magnetic variance was screwing with me or something). Ive got 119 @ 79 and 110 @ 78 but when I try to surf some channels it says "complete signal loss". Ive let it sit for a while, unplugged for 15 to 20 seconds multiple times and ran the check switch multiple times...........right now my setup is 2 lines coming from the legacy 500 twin plugged directly into the back of my 512 dvr............any ideas???

Ok, so I toke my new ebay legacy 500 twin lnb to my other house and plugged it up and it acquired the birds. Then using the compass heading I got from that dish I was able to get my new dish pointed in minutes(I guess magnetic variance was screwing with me or something). Ive got 119 @ 79 and 110 @ 78 but when I try to surf some channels it says "complete signal loss". Ive let it sit for a while, unplugged for 15 to 20 seconds multiple times and ran the check switch multiple times...........right now my setup is 2 lines coming from the legacy 500 twin plugged directly into the back of my 512 dvr............any ideas???
Have you run a check switch?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)