dish 500

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mastermesh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Got a dish 500 the other day for free. It's raining now so I can't do much... want to bring in 110/119 for the free channels for the next few days til my winegard, roof mount and sg2100 get here. Seem to have trouble getting the dish 500 to get a signal. I fiddled with it a little the last couple of afternoons - no reception. Got the skew, elevation and az right I think... frustrating. I'm looking forward to the motor for the ku band stuff since I won't have to do all of this dish moving by hand.

Any tips on how to properly get in 110/119 on the dish 500? I may just forget it completely and/or put on the old dtv 18" dish, aim for 110 and then use a second lnb to do a poor man's dish instead of aiming the 500 that's meant for doing this stuff.

What kind of LNB is on the Dish500? If its the "Twin" (the one with one giant "eye") they really don't work real well with FTA due to the switch built in.

I did what you are thinking with the 18" dish but I aim at 119 (since there is more free stuff there) and just slide a 2nd lnb next to it for 110

and 119 gives stronger singnal then 110 (cause there are spotbeams on it; and some of them could be beamed into your area - IRD shows signal strength 125% and higher).
It's easy to aim with handheld sat finder.

yes... I think it's the one with the giant eye

It's one lnb but with two lnbs inside of it. Each of the two has a place to connect coax to. This giant lnb also has marks on the plastic that goes to it 119 and 110. It's hard as heck to aim since it has a skew on it and you are aiming at two birds at the same time instead of one. Guess I'll put the other old dtv dish on and just thow a second lnb on it. I have one dtv single lnb dish, one old dish network single lnb dish and the big dish 500 with the twin lnb. I guess I'll take the lnb off of the single dish network one and use it as the second lnb to on the dtv.

If you can find an older Dish500 with two separate LNBFs mounted on the "Y" bracket, you could use that as there are no switches involved. These are rather hard to find though.

Alternatively, if you can find a second Dish LNBF like the one you have on your single LNBF Dish Network dish, you can remove the one-piece unit from your Dish500 and replace it with the two one-piece LNBFs (taking the single one off of your other Dish dish).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)