Dish 512 DVR starts recording late.

talk000

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
My new 512 which I installed Tuesday started recording two of first three recordings 2-3 minutes late. I recorded one today and it started on time. So I tried again and started 2-3 minutes late recording. The key seems to be when the receiver is turned on the recording starts on time. If turned off, like at night, it will be 2-3 minutes late in starting the recording. I called DISH and their only suggestion was to set it to start 3 minutes early and end a couple of minutes late to play it safe. The problem with that, of course, is it causes an overlap if you record 2 programs back to back, and, thus, is not acceptable as you lose out on one program. No other suggestion other than the normal unplug the receiver and turn it back on which did not work. Anyone else have this problem and did you solve it?

Are these new or old receivers? In other words since this sounds like a software problem is the software likely to be updated on the 512s or are they likely finished updating.

One reason for asking the software update question., I had a remote type problem earlier (that I later was able to resolve), and they were sending me a new remote to try. Tonight I got another receiver. I guess that is one way to send another remote although this seems a little much even for DISH.:D I have not opened it yet and if I thought it would really solve the latest problem I would and send back the first one. Otherwise I have spent a lot of time I do not currently have setting up the first one and do not want to go through all that again if possible, and would just send back the second one unopened and they could then send it out again to somebody else...

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:
I tried the other receiver that came by mistake. It had the same recording starting late problem - if the receiver was turned off before the recording was scheduled to start. It also sounded like a bearing in the HD was going bad so I sent that one back and kept the first one I received this past week. Hopefully they will continue to upgrade the software and fix the recording problem although it looks like the last upgrade was 7 months ago. The 508 is starting to look better. At least they worked fine for a year or two before they went bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)