Dish 522 Info

starbuck

Original poster
Oct 10, 2009
IL
Today I had a dish 522 installed, the tech fired it up and it was nice and quite just like the dish 722k we have installed in our living room. Went shopping and came back to watch NCSI, the 522 is in my office. When I went to view the recording I noticed that the unit was making a humming nosie and the top of the receiver was really warm to the touch. I know it has a fan in the unit, but the thing keeps making the humming nosie.

I called Dish and they said this was normal, I said bulls*it this isn't normal. Anybody have any ideas as to what is going on? I'm a computer tech and I'm almost to point of taking it apart and seeing whats going on. Thanks in advance for any input on this....

make sure its ventilated and its not on top of any other components that would be making it heat up or unable to disperse heat.

also, the 625/522 did get a new software spool that lets the fan run most of the time

Problem Sloved!!! I got tired of the damn nosie and warranty or not I took the cover off. I felt the hard drive and it was hotter than hell! and the nosie was still their, I just happed to look under the hard drive and their was a cooling fan! (or cpu heat sink fan) and guess what the fan blades were turning real slow and I felt the fan and it was making the nosie.

Since I reapir computers I knew what was wrong, No oil (or lube) on the bearings. I have a bottle of bearing oil, I cleaned the fan blades off (perform a PM). I re oiled the bearings and fired it up and bingo it ran like a champ!!!! I did noticed that the rest of the receiver was dirty as well. I performed a PM on the rest of the receiver and put it back together.

Fired it up and its been on for over 4hrs now and the receiver is cool to the touch. I know what happened, a customer had complained about his receiver making the nosie and they swapped it out and I ended up with the customers old receiver! That really pissed me off but at least its fixed and I don't have to worry about it making any nosie, if it does it again I will just replace the fan (or cpu fan) like I said the fan is a heat sink fan that they use in computers.

So if yer receiver starts making a noise you now know what the problem is. As for warranty issues their isn't any, I had to take the hard drive out to reinstall the fan, they use rubber mounts to mount the fan, Just use yer wifes blow drier on the warranty sticker and then use a sharp knife to lift up the sticker. then take out the hard drive and reinstall the cooling fan. Then reinstall the hard drive and press the warranty sticker back down and yer done. You can also use the blow direr trick to take off the dealer stickers on yer car as well!!! been doing that on each car we have brought, works like a champ each time!

Sorry for a long reply but I hope this little info helps out someone else.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)