Dish-522 Problem w/ DVR ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cellular-tech

Original poster
May 16, 2006
Illinois
Good Evening,

Long time browser, but this is my second post.
(First one was a whopping hello!!)

Having an issue with the DVR portion of our 522 box. When we watch live shows on it, everything works just fine. However, when we use the DVR on either tuner, it's a crap shoot. Sometimes you can make it through a two hour movie and not have any problem. Or, while watching CSI-Miami tonight, the thing will act very odd.

What happens is the picture and sound just hang still frame on the TV, then the box does a reboot. When it comes back up, it is about 5 to 6 minutes back in the show from where it hung up.

There has been a hard drive diagnostic test ran on it, and it did not turn up any errors at all. I personally think the hard drive is starting to fail because we use the DVR portion all the time. This DVR box is about a year and a half old I think. We got it shortly after they started offering it in our area.

I look to be running software version L293GAG D-N.

Is there anything that could be suggested for me to try with this?
Has anyone seen this problem with the 522 before?
If I do need to get a new box, is there anything coming out shortly that would be worth the wait compared to the 522?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me shed some light on this problem that is driving my wife and I crazy!!

Tech

My 522 has been freezing for the last week or so when playing from the dvr. It does not reboot, it will stay frozen until I hit the skip forward or ff button then it is fine. Mine is also about a year and half old and gets lots of use.

Thanks for the 411 osu1991.

It does not seem to matter what buttons we press when the DVR hangs, it goes completely unresponsive until it reboots on its own.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is a copy of Windows running on it somewhere : )

Tech

I don't think it really matters if you are "using the DVR all the time" Even when watching live you are buffering through the hard drive. This is part of what adds the small delay and gives you the ability to rewind your "live" TV. If the Unit is On the Hard Drive is being used.

Where is the 522 located? Make sure it has good ventilation. Sounds like the receiver is overheating.

You can check the temps. by going to Menu, 6, 3, then hit Counters and Page Down twice.

You can also try a hard reboot, disconnect the power for 30 seconds and plug it back in.

If the receiver continues to give you problem most likely you have a bad receiver.

I had issues with mine, but as suggested, I unplugged the unit and waited about 30 seconds and plugged it in again, no problems since.

Currently have it in an entertainment center, but it has an open front so I don't think it would overheat. I will check on that tonight and if it feels warm I will move it somewhere else.

If it does not need to be moved, I will follow the unplug it for 30 and plug it back in.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll let you know how I turn out!!

Tech

Well, moved the 522 out of the entertainment center today and I think I found the problem. This bad boy was HOT. After I cooked dinner on it, I set it up next to the TV in an open area. Been running for a little while now and it seems to be staying cool.

Pretty close to my subwoofer, but I don't think the magnet in it would do anything to the hard drive in the 522.

Will watch it for a couple of days and keep you guys posted on what happens!!

Tech

Mine still freezes on its own during dvr replays. Avg hard drive temp is 113. It is out in the open on top of dvd recorder with about 12 inches of free space on each side.

There used to be sold for audio buffs little spacers that you used to place between components stacked upon one another to give more ventalation. I have been using large plastic caps from med bottles lately to give more air flow.

My mother in law had to replace her cheap DVD player because it got cooked on top of her Comcast Cable TV box...

Ted...

RandallA said:
Where is the 522 located? Make sure it has good ventilation. Sounds like the receiver is overheating.

You can check the temps. by going to Menu, 6, 3, then hit Counters and Page Down twice.

You can also try a hard reboot, disconnect the power for 30 seconds and plug it back in.

If the receiver continues to give you problem most likely you have a bad receiver.

If a 522 overheats it will go in to a standby mode and show you a screen with current temp. of reciever and how cool it has to get before it will show programs again. So that's likely not the problem. I have seen lnb failure cause what some of these guys are experiencing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)