Dish 522 Reboot Problems! DRIVING ME NUTS!

kgibson522

Original poster
Nov 22, 2004
Hi All,
I have tried seaching in the forum and not found anything specific about the problem I am having..... A little bit of background before I get into the problem. I was a long time dish network customer and had a dvr 510 that worked fine. I like a lot of other people wanted the ability to record two shows at once, so I dropped dish and went to directv. Long story short my directv tivo unit was always constantly reporting bad signal problems, and would drop either sat 1 or 2 ALL OF THE TIME. I contacted directv and they were no help at all ( i knew there was a reason I liked dish network) so I just canceled the service and started up dish again.

Dish found me as a customer but for 25 bucks set me up as a new account and hooked me up with a 522 (which is cool 2 tv's, 2 tuners, pip, the whole bit) which would be fine but it does not work. At various times it will shutdown and reboot itself, goes back through the 5 aquiring signal tests and then works fine for a bit. sometimes this happens every 2 mins sometimes it will only happen every week or so... i have read about the guide of death, and a few other problems but none of them seem to be this. A lot of the time when it craps out I am not even doing anything with the tv. And plop reboots, goes through signal tests and comes back up.

I have been in touch with E* and they have sent a tech to my house twice (same guy by the way) the first time he came out and replaced all of the fittings on everything sat, cables, indoors, etc. (cause I found a suggestion in the forum that it maybe water in the fittings) worked fine while he was there and half an hour later went out again.

The second time that he was there he replaced the feeds coming from the sat to the first junction box or whatever you call it. Worked fine for a little while and now it is doing it again....... He SWEARS it cannot be the receiver and so has not replaced it yet.

One thing that may have something to do with my phone line seems to be sketchy I do not have a phone (except for sat) but when I use it some times to dial up it seems to drop without rhyme or reason. not sure if that matters but it is one of the last peices that has not been replaced.

Anyone have any ideas on this? i am running dvr 522, L207, hooked up to two tv's one using s-video to a toshiba big screen, one using coax modulation to a 2 year old 19 in. The first time I recorded something downstairs and then watched it upstairs in bed I WAS HOOKED! So it would be wicked nice if I could get this fixed. Thanks for your help..

kgag.

That doesn't sound like a common problem. As long as you have a clear line of sight, it should NOT be dropping the signal like that.
I'd say call Dish and have them replace your box. It should be free, and it should most certianly fix your problems. :)

I had a similar problem with my system, It would only happen on some channels. All of the odd transponder signals would go in and out and dish had no idea what was wrong. Turns out it was the sat signal switch box. Once that was replaced I have had no problems. Hope this helps.

signal

Well I tested the signal by punishing myself by watching the sat signal for twenty or so mins while I waited for it to go down, signal stayed right where it should 100-106 and poof dead. I will call dish network and see about them sendning a new box, should they just send me a box or are they going to make me take another freaking day off of work to watch some one plug in s-video?

Thanks for your help,
kg.

I've never had to replace a box, but I believe they just send you a new one. That IS pointless to send someone out to hook it up!

Seems like that is what is going to happen, I will try out the new receiver first, and if not the switch does sound like a very good suggestion as well.. They are sending me a new receiver, I will post to let you'all know what happens.

Thanks again for all the help the forum has really been a hair saver.

Thanks,
kg.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)