Dish 6000 - keep or go to 811?

trafter

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
I have 2 Dish 6000's with all the inserts (OTA and 8psk). Is there any real advantage to the 811 over the 6000? The fan noise doesn't seem to bother me and I'm close enough for decent reception so I'm just wondering if there is sometheing I'm missing.

I also have a 508 that I purchased. Is there an advantage to any of the other DVR's that Dish offers (other than the 921 that I am patient enough to wait out)

Regards,

trafter

trafter said:
I have 2 Dish 6000's with all the inserts (OTA and 8psk). Is there any real advantage to the 811 over the 6000? The fan noise doesn't seem to bother me and I'm close enough for decent reception so I'm just wondering if there is sometheing I'm missing.

I also have a 508 that I purchased. Is there an advantage to any of the other DVR's that Dish offers (other than the 921 that I am patient enough to wait out)

Regards,

trafter
I will trade my 811 for one of your 6000's.

Some differences I know of:

* 811 has dvi out
* 811 has faster guide with 2 full days of info
* 811 has video in guide (guide data goes from 6 lines to 4)
* 811 has begun to provide local digital guide info (the 'word' is that the 6000 will not support this)
* 811 has opentv interactive stuff (instant weather is ok)
* 811 has both DVI/component AND svideo/composite active at the same time. 6000 had to toggle either component or svideo/composite.
* 6000 has RGB output (not on 811)
* 811 is fairly quiet, 6000 had many reports of noisy fans

KyDave said:
Some differences I know of:

* 811 has dvi out
* 811 has faster guide with 2 full days of info
* 811 has video in guide (guide data goes from 6 lines to 4)
* 811 has begun to provide local digital guide info (the 'word' is that the 6000 will not support this)
* 811 has opentv interactive stuff (instant weather is ok)
* 811 has both DVI/component AND svideo/composite active at the same time. 6000 had to toggle either component or svideo/composite.
* 6000 has RGB output (not on 811)
* 811 is fairly quiet, 6000 had many reports of noisy fans

I can add some more.

811 has the ability to change screen formats independently.
811 is much more responsive.
Seems there is no active development on the 6000.
Both have the acquiring sat bug.
PQ on them are basically equivalent now. (Mileage may vary)
6000 may be a tad more stable. (This is hard to gage and mileage varies). For me I would consider the stability equivalent.

I had a 6000 and moved to an 811. For me, I am happy I made the switch.

trafter said:

well, the only differences between the 508 & the 510 is larger hard drive and a 4.98 VOD fee on the 510.

The biggest reason I have remained with the 6000 instead of going with a 811 is the fact that the 6000 can NOT be made to downres high def (when flagged) like the 811 does.

811 vs 6000

i don't have either one. the 6000 may have its flaws. but i frequently review various forums on consumer electronics, and i've seen considerably more complaints about the 811 and, generally, compliments about the 6000. i might be interested in purchasing one of yours. lemme know.

My 6000 has a red-MPEG defect similar to what early DVD players had. Watching "Motorweek" when they pan the camera back and forth following a slaloming car, the red color of the cones trails behind the image of the cones by a frame or two. I don't see this behavior on the 811.

Foxbat said:
My 6000 has a red-MPEG defect similar to what early DVD players had. Watching "Motorweek" when they pan the camera back and forth following a slaloming car, the red color of the cones trails behind the image of the cones by a frame or two. I don't see this behavior on the 811.

I also dont see this flaw on ALL 6000 eithers. I would get Dish to repleace it.

I've got a 6000 and was thinking about getting the 811. I was wondering if the 811 has an "auto" mode where it will feed the TV whatever the native HD format is (720p for ABC, 1080i CBS, 480p for SD stations etc.) through the DVI connection, or if you have to select either 720p or 1080i like you do in the 6000 (through component of course since there's no DVI connection on the 6000). I know the 811 will simultaneously output the HD and SD feeds through different outputs, but I don't want the Dish box scaling the signal. I want to feed the native signal to my TV and have it do the scaling. Right now the 6000 will scale everything to either 720p or 1080i (whatever you choose in the menu) and then my TV (GWIII) needs to scale it to 788p. I don't want to double scale and I was hoping the 811 may solve that.

Sorry, the 811 doesn't have Native auto-scale. Works pretty much like your 6000. You can choose 480P 720P or 1080i.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Sorry, the 811 doesn't have Native auto-scale. Works pretty much like your 6000. You can choose 480P 720P or 1080i.

Bummer. Thanks for the reply. Do you know if the HD PVR unit is the same?

gtoaster said:
Bummer. Thanks for the reply. Do you know if the HD PVR unit is the same?

My understanding is that it is. There was some talk about providing and individual scalling setting for SD and HD a while back. I keep bringing it up because I would love to see this feature added. One of the option that should be included would be native in this scheme. There was talk a while back that they where working on this. Only time will tell if it occurs.

This is another plus for the 811. New features are being added to the 811. The 6000 most likely will not get them.

Thanks for all of the input. I'm not really interested in "renting" a receiver from DISH since I currently own all of mine. The advantages that the 811 brings are not sufficient right now for me to make a change. Thanks to all that contributed.

trafter

Foxbat said:
For the information of users that may not be familiar with what your describing...This issue is known as "Chroma Upsampling Error (CUE)", many MPEG decoding devices now have a correction filter to remove MPEG decoder artifacts.

Jason

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)