Dish 6000 problem

Bichon

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2003
Can any of you Dish experts give me some troubleshooting advice?

I have a 2 1/2 year old 6000 with both 8VSB and 8PSK cards. For the past few weeks, I've been having a problem. Every so often, perhaps every 10-15 minutes, I get either pixelation or a freeze. Less frequently, perhaps once a day, I get "Your smartcard doesn't have authorization to view this program" for about 10 seconds, and then programming resumes. The problem happens on channels at all three orbital locations, and signal strengths all seem to be about the as they've always been, i.e., fine.

I've tried the "pull the plug, remove and reinsert smartcard" routine that tech support would have me do; made no difference.

The fan on my 8VSB has been broken (seized) for about a year. Thinking it could be a heat issue, I removed the case. Even with the case off, the problem is still happening.

Ideas?

Bichon said:
Can any of you Dish experts give me some troubleshooting advice?

I have a 2 1/2 year old 6000 with both 8VSB and 8PSK cards. For the past few weeks, I've been having a problem. Every so often, perhaps every 10-15 minutes, I get either pixelation or a freeze. Less frequently, perhaps once a day, I get "Your smartcard doesn't have authorization to view this program" for about 10 seconds, and then programming resumes. The problem happens on channels at all three orbital locations, and signal strengths all seem to be about the as they've always been, i.e., fine.

I've tried the "pull the plug, remove and reinsert smartcard" routine that tech support would have me do; made no difference.

The fan on my 8VSB has been broken (seized) for about a year. Thinking it could be a heat issue, I removed the case. Even with the case off, the problem is still happening.

Ideas?

I get the same thing with the same equipment, but only occasionally. It only happens in the evening when my wife takes over the TV. She does rapid channel surfing, one at a time. She doesn't like or refuses to use the guide. I've found that unplugging the smart card and reinserting it has fixed it at those times.

I had the freeze screens and pixelation also a few weeks ago. I have the Dish extended warrenty. For the cost of shipping, they replaced it.

Problem solved.

Cyclone said:
I had the freeze screens and pixelation also a few weeks ago. I have the Dish extended warrenty. For the cost of shipping, they replaced it.

Problem solved.

I was afraid you were going to say that. I don't have the extended warranty, and with the release of the 811 and 921 right around the corner, I'm not looking to sink alot of money into the 6000. Ughhh.

Cyclone said:

Problem solved.

Thanks. I was afraid you were going to say that. I don't have the extended warranty, and with the release of the 811 and 921 right around the corner, I'm not looking to sink alot of money into the 6000. Ughhh.

I once had another unit stacked on my 6000 and this was blocking the flow of air. I was getting frequent lockup and resets. Once I got that unit off the 6000 and allowed it to breathe, everything was ok from then.

If your 8VSB fan is dead, make sure there is plenty of air circulation around it. May want to even put a small desk fan pointed at your rack...

Lee

$1.99/Mo. for the extended warranty isn't much of an investment for something that will replace DISH branded equipment that has failed.

Anonymous said:
$1.99/Mo. for the extended warranty isn't much of an investment for something that will replace DISH branded equipment that has failed.

If I sign up for it, how long before I can make a claim?

Bichon said:
Anonymous said:

If I sign up for it, how long before I can make a claim?

30 days

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts