Dish 6000 receiver dead?

MarcS

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Yes, I still have the 6000 as my only receiver, dropped HBO/SHO long ago, don't have LiL HD, and with the MPEG4 stuff... well, I just haven't done much... and had cable for basic channels...

Anyway... some time back the SW21 switch looked like it was going bad (error messages and bad switch check). More recently, I have:

1) Bypassed the switch by directly connecting both the Dish 500 and 300 to the receiver--which showed no signal.

2) Switched the coax connection on the LNB in the 500.

3) Measured voltage coming out of receiver, and at coax end going into LNB.

4) Verified that neither dish has changed position since first installed.

Voltage at all points, still no signal...

And the other usual stuff, like unplugging the receiver, resetting to factory defaults, etc...

Could I reasonably conclude that my receiver has gone bad?

That is my only receiver... it does make it a bit more difficult to diagnose... I was running the 500 and 300 into the SW21, then into the 6000 receiver...

Not sure what running a switch check will do with no switch in the circuit... but I was curious of the result, so I did that already multiple times...

And, ta da, it comes back with "no switch detected"... :)

But seriously, no other messages of any sort... still no signal detected...

And I checked both 110,119, and 61.5 all transponders... no signal detected...

Considering that any solution really will involve a new receiver, and that I want SciFi and USA in Hi-def... well, you can tell what direction my decision will probably go... but if in the short-term I could figure out what was wrong, at no or minimal cost, then I'll go down that path. Otherwise... most likely good by to Dish...

Try running the switch test without the line connected, then hook back up and see if you get any type of reading. It could be a loose line or bad connector/connection.

Tried that already also... nada...

I tried most combinations I could think of, just in case it would give me any more info--in all cases I still show no signal...

I have checked all possible connections/connectors, and they are all great looking, even the one in the LNB, it looked new, absolutely no surface corrosion even...

Thanks for all the suggestions...

Maybe a clue--you know how the screen will show odd/even for each satellite? I can't even get that screen--I don't think that's related to the switch, is it? Maybe you need the signal first before seeing that screen?

Try removing the 8PSK module, they go bad sometimes

Removed that long ago... it went bad, flaky tuning. Went through the fun of replacing the fan hoping it would be more quiet... I think the heat it generated burned out the modem--haven't been able to dial out for years...

Removed that long ago... it went bad, flaky tuning. Went through the fun of replacing the fan hoping it would be more quiet... I think the heat it generated burned out the modem--haven't been able to dial out for years...

Not the ATSC tuner, the 8psk tuner. Note that without it you can not get any current HD channels even the MPEG2 ones.

My bad... thinking of the 8VSB...

Excellent suggestion--pulled the module just now and it works fine... since I don't get any HD now, I don't need the 8PSK.

I don't think I would have ever thought of pulling that module out... now I can use it for target practice!!! :)

Thanks so much for the suggestions and help!

:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)