Dish 622/211 Setup Newbie Question

Brajesh

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 21, 2004
NJ
Hi Everyone. I haven't been at SatGuys since joining in the VOOM days in 2004 :). Just switched to Dish from cable hi-def. Couple of questions...

The installer put two round dishes (Dish 500s I think), one with a single LNB & the other with two LNBs. He ran two cables from the two-LNB dish to the single-LNB dish, then ran two cables into the house. One went the 622 DVR and the other to the 211. For the 622, he used a separator into both sat inputs. Is this the correct install?

When I check the sat signal strength, should I be checking for 61.5, 119 & 110? I get HD locals, so I assume that's on 61.5. I assume the VOOM channels & other hi-def are on 119? So, what should my signal strength be ideally? (90s?)? I thought I saw 75 for the 110 satellite; 90's & above for 61.5 & 119.

Check again. There's probably just one cable running from the single LNB into the dual LNB, then from that LNB, two cables into the house. If that's the case, then yes - that is the correct way to do it. The "two-LNB" you mention is a Dish Pro Plus (DPP) Twin that includes an internal switch and an input to accept that single LNB's signal (probably a Dish Pro Single), then the Twin provides separate outputs for up to two receivers, as you have. Then the use of the separator on the 622 to feed that single coax into both tuner inputs is quite common. This will work just fine for you. If you want to expand the system in the future then some additional equipment might be needed.

The signal strengths you mention are fine. 75 on 110 is a bit low but should be OK. Try it for a while and if you get too much rain fade, then get the installer back out for a retuning. The signal strength meter will be showing the sat. and transponder that you were last watching before you switched to that screen. You can use the controls to switch to all sats and TPs you receive to check them, and you should probably spotcheck a few TPs from each sat., but don't be surprised if you see a good bit of variability. If your HD LiLs are from NY or Phila then they are on 61.5, as are all the voom channels. Some of the "national" HD channels are at 110. Check here for the scoop (credit to TNGTony and others):

http://www.dishchannelchart.com/

From about 3 month's experience I can say you'll probably really like the 622. I don't have any experience with the 211...

Thank you. Lots of good information, especially the link.

Since 119 & 110 are off the same round dish, is it possible to point it so that you get 90's or better signals for both sats? Wondering if I could play w/how it's aimed to dial in better signals. Being a novice at this, I'd be a little scared to screw it up though.

Again - live with it as-is for a while before you possibly try to fix what isn't broken! Per that link I sent you, notice that there are two active 'birds' in the 110 slot, E*8 and E*10. Are they both giving you the same results per your strength meter? E*10 is almost brand new and I expect a bit stronger than E*8, so check channels from both sats. and compare the results. There have been other posts about 110 signal strength - search "110 strength" (no quotes) and see what you turn-up. I don't recall the discussions. I notice that my 110 strength is also a bit lower but I only have signal issues during rare strong rainstorms so I haven't been inclined to do anything about it.

That said - yes, you could probably peak your 110/119 dish for 110 and that might cost you a bit on 119. You might be able to get a better "balance" but you probably won't get both in the 90s consistently. If I were you, I'd take no action unless I have frequent drop-outs or other suspected strength-related issues. (You have a 90-day warranty on the installation, so take your time to check the system out over varying conditions before calling for help...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)