This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Dish 622 3.63 Release Notes

Actually, you aren't making any sense. You pretty much repeated EXACTLY what I said. If you record, and it is recording in whatever resolution it was transmitted at, that is called "native passthrough" which is my point. However, like I said, it doesn't do that.

If I have my DVR set to 480i, EVERYTHING is recorded in 480i. Like I said, with native resolution passthrough, when I record a HD show in 720p, it will change the DVR to RECORD in 720p, instead of recoring it downconvered to 480i.

Huh? Why would you set it to 480i if you're hooked up to an HDTV? If you're on an HD channel, the DVR will record in HDTV (at the HD resolution provided by Dish), not 480i. I don't believe you have any control over the resolution of the recording on the 622, only the resolution of the output.

that just aint right and seems this thing should be smart enuf to do compression of some sorts or just accurate storage, ugh

I have a 4:3 HDTV, so I would rather watch a majority of the SD programs in full screen.

Like I said, if you are on a HD channel, the DVR will record in whatever resolution you have the DVR set at. Once again, native passthrough is what everyone has been asking for that will change the DVR to whatever resolution the recording is, provided by Dish.

It WILL record in the resolution the DVR is at...so if I have my DVR set at 480i, record a HD channel, then go to the now playing list, it will take off the hours from the Standard Definition counter, and not the High Definition counter.

Rukes said:
I have a 4:3 HDTV, so I would rather watch a majority of the SD programs in full screen.
OK.

That's not how it works. The 622 records at whatever resolution Dish sends it to you. You have no control over the resolution of the recording - only the resolution of the output to the TV. Native passthrough simply means that if Dish is broadcasting at 1080i, 1080i will be passed to your TV (or outboard scaler). If Dish is broadcasting at 720p, 720p will be passed to your TV (or outboard scaler). Native passthrough has nothing to do with how the DVR records.

Rukes said:
It WILL record in the resolution the DVR is at...so if I have my DVR set at 480i, record a HD channel, then go to the now playing list, it will take off the hours from the Standard Definition counter, and not the High Definition counter.
When you record, time is taken off BOTH the SD and HD counters. Those are there to provide an estimate of how much HD record time is left AND how much SD record time is left.

Ahh, so that means if I record a HD show, then go into the setup and select 1080i as the output, it will really be 1080i? I didn't know that...hmm...learn something new every day...sorry for the confusion everyone, i'm stupid today

All Dish DVRs record the raw data as received from the satellite. When you play them back, the receiver decodes them just like they were live at whatever resolution you currently have setup.

Rukes said:
Ahh, so that means if I record a HD show, then go into the setup and select 1080i as the output, it will really be 1080i? I didn't know that...hmm...learn something new every day...sorry for the confusion everyone, i'm stupid today
Now you've got it.

I've been there my friend, trust me.

I can't 'see' the difference it seems from 720p to 1080i
I have a sony 34 xbr hd and it supports either so do I just use the 1080i or
is there a reason to use the progressive ?
I use 720 on my xbox as I could not see the difference from it and 1080i but that might be my eyes

Leave it at 1080 or does it just not matter ?

right now the fact that we get HD lite is a bigger deal!

The golf on right now on HDNET looks pretty sweet though

On a 34-inch set you might not notice the difference.

The larger the screen the more you'll notice variations on content quality.

I have a 60-inch Sony and I can see the difference between the 720p and 1080i setting using HDMI.

Some day HD-lite may come to an end and a large 1080p set might be worth the upgrade cost.

I have the same tv, and run the 622 at 1080i; I have played with 720p, but the PQ on the Sony XBR CRT is generally very good; and the 622 upconverts anything broadcast at 720p to 1080i for you. I haven't noticed a lot of difference between the two. But I also think that the superior pq of the sony crt minimizes the problems that many see on larger flat screen displays.

Tweakophyte said:
Does this mean the DPP33 is released? Did I miss something?
No and why would it ?? Would it make sense to release the product if the other hardware didn't work with it ?? Nope.... Some might think "that means it's coming soon" but it doesn't guarantee that either.

Native passthrough is extremely important to anyone with a 4:3 HDTV. Here's why: All HD channels are sent at either 720p or 1080i - both of which are necessarily 16x9. This is fine going to my 4:3 TV as I end up with black bars on the top and bottom. So far, so good. The problem is that if the content I'm receiving is SD (480i) b/c that is necessarily 4:3. The problem is that I had to tell the 622 I have a 16x9 TV so it sends the SD content in 16x9 and I get black bars all around. (Yes, I can stretch it using the 622, but that doesn't help the top and bottom).

With native passthrough, the 480i 4:3 signal coming on most channels would come to my TV as such and it would fill the screen completely. And when I switch to an HD channel, it would work at 16x9 1080i (or 720p depending on the signal - my CRT handles both).

The way I solved this right now is that I use the S-video output on the 622 to the S-video input on my TV. When I go to a SD channel I'm using Video 3 on my TV, when I switch to and HD channel, I have to switch the video input on my TV. And native passthrough would eliminate this.

I understand that there aren't many of us out here with 4:3 HDTVs, but it would be a very nice feature.

You can find this on iTunes for free as well. Why do we need it taking up space on our DVR's???

So they gonna let us what some ABC programs for FREE!
Wow!
But how much will it cost after Oct 4?

Rocky, thanks for that info. I got that CRT as I was going to be gaming on it with a 360 and was torn on what HD TV to get. Since it was going on a flat stand the weight didn't matter so I got this monster!

Yet I have been stumped by my tv and my xbox 360 lately
At 720 pr 1080i now shadow areas in games are way too dark, textures suck
Drop it to 480p and it's decent but something has changed
I swapped the xbox even but it looked the same. When I got the TV it was FINE but it's gotten worse and worse and Sony admits nada nor do the M$ folks

Now the DISH looks perfect in HD as far as the brightness and colors/etc
But I don't know who to blame for this other issue.

now to find out how to get this 'free' content to show up!

Yeah, it is a beast isn't it! I ended up at the chiropractor after getting the XBr970 into my house.

Not sure what the issue is with the XBox.

I have a 960, not sure if things have changed but... When you change your input from device to device your color settings change too... if its too dark maybe you've got pro or movie mode on. Though they are all configurable they still remain darker than the others. Try the vivid mode for your xbox. Certain inputs types hdmi/component can also be either darker or lighter than the other from set to set. For example my hdmi connection isn't as bright as my components... when I switched my dvd player I was happy to be able to upconvert the signal through hdmi but found the image darker (contrasts / shadows), regardless of what I did with the color settings but the components were obviously brighter and ironically showed more detail.