Dish 622 multi-room upgrade help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

peter1377

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
My wife has given me the green light to upgrade our family room TV from the old CRT I've had since college to a nice HDTV so I want to strike while the iron is hot. I'd appreciate some help.

Here is my current setup -- Dish 622 receiver in the basement, with a 51" projection HDTV connected by HDMI (TV1). Then I have the TV2 coax output connected to the old "cable network" for the house which connects it to three other TVs throughout the house (including the one to be replaced).

So -- I want to get a new HDTV for the family room (picking which model is a whole other discussion) and would like to take the HD output from my 622 in the basement without having to get a second receiver. I'm thinking I can switch the current HDTV in the basement from HDMI to component (saving me from having to run the audio cables up the family room) and that will free up the HDMI output for the new TV upstairs. Luckily the new TV location is almost directly above the 622 in the basement and I've measure the HDMI run to be about 20'. Monoprice.com can get me a 20'/25' HDMI for about $25 so I'm happy with that idea.

Here's my questions:
1) does my above suggested setup make sense?
2) if I switch the 622 into single mode will my TV2 remote now work in the family room (separate room than the 622) and still be able to get all HD channels and my OTA local HDs?

thanks in advance.

Just realize that both TVs will be watching the same thing, no matter what if you do it like this.

If you switch back to Dual Mode, you will lose your HD upstairs as the signal will switch back to Tuner 2... which does not have HDMI or Component out capability.

If you're ok with that, then yes, it will work.

thanks tastim! I didn't really think of that because we almost never watch more than one tv at a time. But just in case our viewing habits do change, I'll probably just take the existing coax cable run from the basement to the family room and also plug that into the new HDTV.

That way, I can use the HDMI for everyday use and on the days when I need to watch two different programs I can switch the upstairs tv to the coax of TV2 -- and yes, I am aware that in that situation I'd only be getting HD in the basement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)