Dish 622 Some TV2 Channels are Snowy

tkuhtz

Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
I recently had my Dish Network service installed at my new house. I brought my 622 receiver from the old house. At the new house the installer used the Dish Pro Plus scheme where only one wire through the wall feeds both satellite tuners. There is a combiner/splitter to add the TV2 signal back to the basement where you can then send that signal out to whatever TV you want. My question is this. On TV2 I am noticing that some channels are snowy. The primary example is ESPN-HD on TV2 is a little snowy. ESPN-SD on TV2 has a better picture. All channels are crystal clear on TV1. Why are some channels snowy? Is this a common problem with the DISH Pro Plus setup? Do I need to check some wires and connections? The strange thing is that some channels are crystal clear on TV2 and others are a little snowy. It doesn't make much sense to me. Does anyone have any ideas?

Yes, make sure your connections are tight. You might also want to try to change the channel that the signal is being output to. Sometimes there is interference on one channel that is not present on another channel.

Just fixed a similar problem at my place. atlhough it definitely impacted all channels on TV2. Snow on several remote TVs - especially one with a long run across the 2nd floor. The coax run is toooo long and the signal gets weak. Put in an amplifier on the TV2 signal after it is split back out from the satellite feeds. In my case I have a central coax distribution box where the TV2 signal is separated via a diplexer. I amplifed the signal there before it goes out to the other TVs.... Now looks as good as can be expected with SD TVs...

BTW, did the installer set you up with a DP switch? If so which one?

Changing the modulated ch. on tuner 2 is a good solution. The sensitivity of the tuner in your set may improve if your mod. ch. of choice is toward the lower end. Dish sets their choice in the higher range for off air. If you don't live near a local station tv transmitter, try off air 21-35 or cable 73-80. If this doesn't work for your situation, you might check your hardware in the path to #2 for insertion problems. I'm certain that your refrence to combiner/ splitter is actually a pair of DIPLEXERS. This is considering the use of one coax being used to receieve dish signal and returning #2 output to distribution.

Going along with what Jerry posted, it sounds like you didn't have diplexers at the old house and now you do. I've noticed that sometimes some TVs don't care for a diplexed signal on Air mode.

99% of the time simply changing the modulated output to cable and putting the TV in 'cable' mode clears it right up. Just make sure you turn the TV to the new channel number.

Set the modulated channel reasonably low, even air 60 62 64 and 66 work for me. I combine 2 722 outputs (4 channels) with the locals before amplifying, which is why I want to be on higher numbers. It is harder to know the local channels in use now with both NTSC and ATSC. Yes, it could radiate the signals out your antenna so use this only if your neighbors' antennas are far away and not pointed at yours. (Why should they be?)

The RF output of the 6/722 is already amplified, so limit any more amplification to say 10dB.
Make sure the amplifier will pass higher channels--that it is not just VHF.
What are the cable quality (RG-6 preferred, not RG-59) and length you are using?
Avoid diplexers, i.e., run a separate cable.
Forget using a band pass (UHF/VHF) splitter as local ATSC channels will be changing, some to VHF.
-Ken

check each connector and make sure that nothing is touching the copper wire. if one hair of the braiding is touching then you will get snow on the picture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)