Dish 622

mdntblu

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
Corona, CA
Does anyone know if it's possible to just have Local HD Channels and nothing else? I am on a cash crunch (as with most people in this country) and would like to keep my locals but lose all the paid channels? Will they allow this? I was going to buy the DTV Pal DVR but it's all sold out and I also realized it doesn't do name based recording so that means it only does timers and if a show changes schedule (which they often do) I will miss it. Are there any other OTA DVR's out there?

IF you want just locals DISH would allow you to under some circumstances;

1) You Own your own dvr or receiver.
2) You pay an hd enabeling fee of 5.00 but then you wouldn't get any guide data unless you sub to DISH locals for your area.
3) You would also have to pay a no basic pack fee of 5.00 or 6.00 a month.

You could also sub to the Welcome pack for 9.99+locals 5.00 for 14.99 a month and you would get upto 20 various dish channels and your locals and ota guide data ( if you have locals up on the satellite) . This is your best bet and it provides you with some good channels . The most for your money. But it depends on having your own receiver most of the time. But you could call and ask the dish csrs if you can get this pack if you lease and your commitment is up. They may allow you. Also try the following email address and they might help you to cut costs.

ceo@echostar.com

Or you could spend $300 out of pocket and get the award-winning DTV Pal DVR). It handles like your 622 and uses an OTA antenna (sounds like you already have one). Of course, you lose the name-based timer feature, I hear. No EHD capability, no VOD, but no monthly service fees, either. One of these plus an AppleTV and/or a Roku box makes for a LOT of TV and movie watching.

Why not just get a DTV converter box if you don't have a digital TV tuner already and then shop around for a digital video recorder. You won't have to pay any monthly expense and you'll get the digital local channels. I built my own antenna for $5 after viewing a youtube video of a 'coathanger antenna' and it works better than one I paid $25 for brand new.

Just an idea to keep your monthly expense at $0 and have a small investment up front.

Yes I already have an antenna and I want to be able to record in HD from local networks. I mainly watch NBC, FOX, CBS and ABC. Nothing else. Everything else I download on my xbox for my kids. I don't need VOD I have that built in with Xbox live. I just can't find the DTV Pal because it's out of stock on DTVPAL.com website.

I went to Dish's account manager and tried to get the cheapest package and it's still $50/month with the locals in HD. Unless I'm missing something. And yes I lease my 622 receiver.

HD Bronze

Yes I already have an antenna and I want to be able to record in HD from local networks. I mainly watch NBC, FOX, CBS and ABC. Nothing else. Everything else I download on my xbox for my kids. I don't need VOD I have that built in with Xbox live. I just can't find the DTV Pal because it's out of stock on DTVPAL.com website.

I went to Dish's account manager and tried to get the cheapest package and it's still $50/month with the locals in HD. Unless I'm missing something. And yes I lease my 622 receiver.

HD Bronze w/ locals in HD is 34.99 + tax.

yeah I actually called them and got the Family Package $19.99 and locals $5 and $7 lease fee. And they told me the HD would be turned off but I still get all the locals in HD. I even asked them about the free HBO & Starz for 3 months and got that too with auto cancel after 3 months.

yeah I actually called them and got the Family Package $19.99 and locals $5 and $7 lease fee. And they told me the HD would be turned off but I still get all the locals in HD. I even asked them about the free HBO & Starz for 3 months and got that too with auto cancel after 3 months.
Can't you get locals in HD over the air (for free)? I can in Idaho. Why pay someone for what's free already?

I guess I'm not understanding what is going on. But I have ran into many people who don't understand that with a simple antenna and a Digital Tuner - they can get HD signals over the air and have no monthly cost and a great picture.

true, but no dvr unless you were to buy a unit. DVR is the best, and I can't live without it.
Of course - and that's why I mentioned earlier that you'd have to get a DVR on the side. There has to be at least 1 DVR that you don't pay a monthly fee for.

:tux: So save yourself some money if indeed you are on a 'cash crunch' mdntblu

Can't you get locals in HD over the air (for free)? I can in Idaho. Why pay someone for what's free already?

I guess I'm not understanding what is going on. But I have ran into many people who don't understand that with a simple antenna and a Digital Tuner - they can get HD signals over the air and have no monthly cost and a great picture.

No I am getting the locals over the air with an antenna already on my 622. The problem is if I don't have a DVR I can't watch my shows because most of them are on when I'm not available to watch them.

I just called Dish and got the locals, Family package and my total per month is now $27.99. I can handle that for a while. I also got them to add the free HBO & Starz for 3 months.

No I am getting the locals over the air with an antenna already on my 622. The problem is if I don't have a DVR I can't watch my shows because most of them are on when I'm not available to watch them.

I just called Dish and got the locals, Family package and my total per month is now $27.99. I can handle that for a while. I also got them to add the free HBO & Starz for 3 months.
Just get a DVR from somewhere else that you don't have to pay a monthly bill to use it and to use all the extra stuff you don't even use.

If you really are in a 'cash crunch' the $28/month will add up quickly and you could afford a $300 DVR and have saved more than what it cost in less than 1 year. I don't know what's all available - but I'd be looking around if I were you.

Perhaps you watch more than just the locals and this doesn't apply.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)