Dish 721 problem - lost lock

Martimus

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
I'm having an interesting challenge with my Dish PVR 721. The 721 is losing its lock on only certain channels. The issue seems to be affecting only those channels coming in on satellite 119, transceiver 8. This issue seems to have started within the last month or so. Prior to the last couple of SW updates I don't recall ever seeing this error or having this problem.

The error message looks similar to the following:

"Channel 180, lost lock.
Receiver ID: xyz
Smart Card ID: xyz
Satellite: 119
Transponder: 8
Satellite Input: 1"

My setup is:
1. Dish PVR 721, SW Revision L172HABD-N (new version supposedly downloaded 3 days ago).
2. DishPro 500 dual LNB's
3. RG6 direct from each LNB to back of 721

When I go into setup -> point dish, I usually get signal lock on satellite 119, transceiver 2 at 87/100. I've re-peaked the antenna twice and can't get any higher than 87 (which is strange considering I'm in Southern Arizona, have clear line of site to the sky, and haven't had a decent rain storm in ages!!!) If I change to other transceivers in "Point Dish", I'll SOMETIMES get a lock and other times get absolutely no signal. Check Switch shows up with both transceivers as verified. I've re-run check switch a few times and have no documented issues with sat's 119 or 110. I've hard rebooted the unit twice and it doesn't seem to resolve anything.

I spoke with Dish Technical Support and though the technician was unfamiliar with the 721, she first thought the issue was with the 721 and now thinks the problem is with the LNBF. They're shipping me a new LNBF but I've still gotta wonder if this is, in fact, the problem.

Anyone got any other ideas?

On my 721, it's always transponder 8 and input 1 (on 119) that seems to go first whenever rain fade is an issue. It appears to be the weakest of the bunch. I don't understand, however, why this happens to you on sunny days. Only thing that comes to mind is either the LNB or the dish needs to be readjusted (which I will do on mine one of these days, hehe). Other than that, I'd be curious to see if anyone has any other ideas which may help us both.

boba said:
On a 522 & a 311 I am getting 109-111 on 119 transponder 8 just outside Dallas. Possibly a tuner going bad?

Amazingly enough the problem did turn out to be the LNB. I replaced it and the problem immediately went away. Of course its possible that it might have been a bad connection between the RG6 and the LNB but I suppose I'll just stick to the bad LNB theory and go back to enjoying my Dish programming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)