Dish 722 Rebooting a lot

Briant73

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Pennsylvania
I have a dish 722 that has worked pretty well for years but lately it's starting to reboot, and then reboot again when trying to turn it on but then it will work fine for days without an issue. I am starting to suspect it has to do with TV2 tuner being watched on my second TV.

Reasons why I think it's the TV2 being watched
1) When issue first happened it was when tv1 was in use and tv output 2 was attempted to be viewed on the second tv. Soon as that happened the Dish rebooted
2) TV1 has been fine watching but it seems even with TV1 off and watching on TV2 will cause a reboot next time TV1 is attempted even if tv2 tuner is off.
3) The dish can be watched on tv1 while two tuners are recording at the sametime without issue.

So far reboots/ unplugging and other things don't seem to resolve this. This started about 2-3 weeks ago and I still wonder if their was FW release about that time but any help on what to check/change would be appreciated.

I may need to replace it but I would hate to get a replacement and have similar problems and find out it's either some thing with the wiring or firmware related. Does anyone know when they last 722 FW was released and what version it was?

Since I replaced my two ViP722 units with 2 HWS and one owned Joey, I haven't kept up with the changes. I doubt the problems are due to firmware. If it was, more people would have such problems.

But I most strongly suggest you get an EHD and move all your DVR'd stuff ASAP. And consider if 1H/1J might better serve your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I may need to replace it but I would hate to get a replacement and have similar problems and find out it's either some thing with the wiring or firmware related. Does anyone know when they last 722 FW was released and what version it was?

L7.96 and L7.95 are both current software. L7.96 was released on 10/13 and L7.95 was on 9/13. I haven't heard of anyone else having a rebooting receiver after either of these were released.

Thanks for the FW versions and suggestions. I am just making sure I rule out anything non receiver related before I take the plunge on a different receiver.

Currently I have a 222 and 722 both feeding a main and secondary tv. Haven't noticed any issues with the 222 but I don't use that much since it's for the kids to watch. Up until recently the 722 has been rock solid usually and one of my favorite dish receivers over the years so I'm willing to check/try a few things before giving up on it. Also I do have an EHD and will be movie all recordings to it just in case.

Now could a bad coax cable or electronic piece (seperator/diplexer/etc) for the cabling cause this kind of issue?

Now could a bad coax cable or electronic piece (seperator/diplexer/etc) for the cabling cause this kind of issue?

Seems unlikely, but you could check those things by swapping your 722 and 222 around temporarily, and see if the problem follows the 722.

I would take advantage of the opportunity to get a newly refurbished unit.

It sounds like it is about to go belly up to me. Usually they start rebooting like that when the hard drive is getting corrupt data due to the drive writing to sections that are starting to go bad. Get ready to exchange it.

The rebooting only seems to occur if I attempt to watch TV2. Watching TV1 live, recordings is fine, even when they unit is recording with both tuners I still can watch TV1 just fine. I would think if the hard drive was going bad the 722 would reboot no matter the circumstances. I haven't had a lot of time to try troubleshooting the unit yet but the suggestion to swap it around with the 222 is a good one. For anyone wondering why I just don't get a new(refurb) receiver I have never had good luck with refurbished electronics and as for a new Hopper not sure I want to go that route yet.

Update - I did the following unplugged my 722, removed the TV2 coax cable from the back, rebooted the unit and turned it on a few days ago, no reboots what so ever. I then tried turning on tuner 2 (blue light came on) and changing channels with the TV2 remote (no way to tell what I was doing since not plugged in) and no reboots. I am going to check the TV2 cabling today next.

Last edited:
FWIW my 722 has been regularly rebooting for a couple of weeks now as well. Starting this weekend it has also had display trouble with the TV2 output (over coax). The output UI (dish menus and guides etc) are fine, but the actual TV image (DVR or any live channel) is messed up.

I'm using this as a bit of a push to move over to a Hopper/Joey system, but I did want to go on record of at least one other 722 just started acting up as well.

It's been awhile since I updated I tried various things but it appears my 722 for some reason is getting worse. Issues include
Rebooting happening more often sometimes constant where I have to pull the power cord.
Shows not fully recorded
starting and ending time of recorded shows off

I was hoping to get through to the spring and look at upgrading when the snow/ice is melted but I can't wait any longer, so Dish Team Members please PM me about this and let me know what can be done.

They are unlikely to see your post. You have two options:
- Post your request in the Dish Upgrades thread.
- Go to the Forums page and look at the bottom. If you see a name in red, that is a DIRT member. PM them.

They are unlikely to see your post. You have two options:
- Post your request in the Dish Upgrades thread.
- Go to the Forums page and look at the bottom. If you see a name in red, that is a DIRT member. PM them.

Thanks , have sent a message to a team member.

Just thought I add this also for anyone else experiencing this issue, at times I am finding tuner 2 turned on (blue light) even though turned it on. Tonight I left and nobody was home, receiver was off but when I get home it's tuner 2 is turned on.

Did it stay on a long time? I note a 6 min promotional video was recorded recently.

Just figured I would update this thread - Dish sent me a replacement receiver. I hooked it up and it rebooted a few times but I figured that may have to do with software downloads and all that. The past week no reboots then yesterday it rebooted twice in a row, when it finally came up I was watching tv and the channel went black. Powered it off, unplugged for a minute, powered back on and now it's working.

My question is what other than the receiver having a fault what else would cause it to reboot - power/cabling/splitters/biplexers? I'm not a novice when it's come to dish or how it's wired so any troubleshooting help would be appreciated. I know reviewing the Dish forums there are more than a few people having issues with 722 rebooting a lot so maybe it's another receiver fault but I want to investigate thoroughly before contacting Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)