Dish 722 Rebooting a lot

My 722K started rebooting about once each evening while watching recorded programs. The picture freezes and sets for about one minute, then the screen goes black and the Dish Network logo comes on the screen showing that the DVR is rebooting. This started about a month ago and happens three or four times each week. I do not use it in tv2 setup, so I don't know which is in use when it happens. I got this replacement last March 2013, so I have not even had it a year. If the dvr is recording, I lose about 4-5 minutes of the recorded program. How much is a Hopper cost and how much is the monthly charge. NO joey needed.

Just figured I would update this thread - Dish sent me a replacement receiver. I hooked it up and it rebooted a few times but I figured that may have to do with software downloads and all that. The past week no reboots then yesterday it rebooted twice in a row, when it finally came up I was watching tv and the channel went black. Powered it off, unplugged for a minute, powered back on and now it's working.

My question is what other than the receiver having a fault what else would cause it to reboot - power/cabling/splitters/biplexers? I'm not a novice when it's come to dish or how it's wired so any troubleshooting help would be appreciated. I know reviewing the Dish forums there are more than a few people having issues with 722 rebooting a lot so maybe it's another receiver fault but I want to investigate thoroughly before contacting Dish.

It is possible that the rebooting is caused by power spikes or sags. It is also possible that older receivers are more susceptible to such. A good UPS is a good thing.

My 722K started rebooting about once each evening while watching recorded programs. The picture freezes and sets for about one minute, then the screen goes black and the Dish Network logo comes on the screen showing that the DVR is rebooting. This started about a month ago and happens three or four times each week. I do not use it in tv2 setup, so I don't know which is in use when it happens. I got this replacement last March 2013, so I have not even had it a year. If the dvr is recording, I lose about 4-5 minutes of the recorded program. How much is a Hopper cost and how much is the monthly charge. NO joey needed.

First Hopper is "free" but they charge $12/month Whole Home DVR fee.

Try to move your recordings to an EHD and the Hopper will read them.

BTW, go with a Hopper With Sling not the original Hopper. And don't let a clueless rep tell you that you MUST have a Joey. That hasn't been true for some time.

As to the timing of the upgrade, might be best to talk to DIRT.

And whatever receiver you have, you should have it on a good UPS for sag/surge protection.

It is possible that the rebooting is caused by power spikes or sags. It is also possible that older receivers are more susceptible to such. A good UPS is a good thing.

It is on an APC smart ups that from what I can tell is working just fine but maybe I will take it off there and plug it into just a good surge strip to see what happens.

I have APC with battery backups on my receivers, tv, and my two computers. I have two just on my Home Theater setup. If I don't sling, why get the sling Hopper. Are they the same price?

Also, I am paying $14 per month for a 722K dvr fee and a 211 2nd receiver fee, so I would save $2per month with a Hopper. I thought there was a $99 upgrade fee with the Hopper. Will they ship it to me or does it have to be installed.

Is the 722 EHD compatible with the Hopper DVR?

Last edited:
You can probably get it free. It needs to be installed. It is set up differently than VIPs.... The EHD will work just fine. I went from a 722 to a Hopper nearly two years ago and the EHD worked fine....

.....If I don't sling, why get the sling Hopper. Are they the same price?...

More memory and faster processor so more future proof. Also, HWS has the transfer feature for tablets, which is quite nice.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I bit the bullet and am having a Hopper with sling installed on Friday 2/7. Getting rid of bothe the 722 and 211

I had a 722, 211, and mirrored the 211 to the bedroom. Replaced them with a Hopper and 2 Joeys, haven't looked back since! :)

I bit the bullet and am having a Hopper with sling installed on Friday 2/7. Getting rid of bothe the 722 and 211

I think after you have the Hopper a few days, you'll wonder why you waited so long. At least, I did.

New programming will show a blue 'NEW' in the tile when you look at the PTAT programs. If that isn't here it's probably a rerun....

Well moved the 722 off my apc smart ups, it rebooted so I don't think it's power related but I may hook a computer to the ups to monitor it to see if there are any sags when first powering on.

I would like to add my experiences. I have multiple receivers in the house, and a dish 722k that has been running great for years. Suddenly, it started rebooting a lot. Finally it seemed like it was happening more and more often or it ws bothering me more. So I called dish and exchanged the receiver - early December.

Here is where it gets interesting, the replacement receiver started rebooting within a day of being installed. So I started thinking it was something with my install. I unplugged my second tv (composite connections) and it instantly seemed a lot better. It was good for a few days, and then the rebooting came back. So I called Dish for help, but the csr didn't want to hear my story and she simply sent me a new receiver.

This time, I unplugged everything - ethernet / phone, and hooked up only coax in and hdmi out. That was about two weeks ago, and today my third receiver is locked up. Reset on the switch did not clear it, needed to be unplugged and plugged back in.

I have no idea why a system that has worked perfectly for years is suddenly eating receivers. No issues whatsoever with the other receivers in the house. Receiver is plugged in to a surge suppressor. I'm happy with the 722 and it works perfectly for what I need.

I would like to add my experiences. I have multiple receivers in the house, and a dish 722k that has been running great for years. Suddenly, it started rebooting a lot. Finally it seemed like it was happening more and more often or it ws bothering me more. So I called dish and exchanged the receiver - early December.

Here is where it gets interesting, the replacement receiver started rebooting within a day of being installed. So I started thinking it was something with my install. I unplugged my second tv (composite connections) and it instantly seemed a lot better. It was good for a few days, and then the rebooting came back. So I called Dish for help, but the csr didn't want to hear my story and she simply sent me a new receiver.

This time, I unplugged everything - ethernet / phone, and hooked up only coax in and hdmi out. That was about two weeks ago, and today my third receiver is locked up. Reset on the switch did not clear it, needed to be unplugged and plugged back in.

I have no idea why a system that has worked perfectly for years is suddenly eating receivers. No issues whatsoever with the other receivers in the house. Receiver is plugged in to a surge suppressor. I'm happy with the 722 and it works perfectly for what I need.

Though I'm not happy to hear you are having issues too, it is nice to know I'm not the only one. I too have tried unplugging things and such but it keeps rebooting. Now maybe it's just the age of 722 receivers, the latest FW update have a bug or are reacting to something in the receiver different than previous FW versions did. Let me know if you figure anything else out. I may go hopper this spring regardless but want to keep my 722 going till then.

The replacement 722 is rebooting as much as my past 722 did. Last night I was watching TV on TV/Tuner 1 when right around the time it would start a recording on tuner 2 the receiver just rebooted and then kept rebooting 3-4 times until it finally came back up, then it locked up shortly after. I have checked all cabling and see nothing wrong but I don't have expensive tester, just a pass/fail/short tester. Before I contact Dish does this sound like another bad 722 receiver?

My 622 was also rebooting several times for couple of days. It has not in the last week.

Me too

My 722k was locking up and rebooting about a month ago. Also, some of our recordings would suddenly stop playing half way through the show even though there were several minutes left in the recording. I complained to Dish and they sent out a "new" receiver. Now this one is doing the same thing. I'd complain again but all they will do is send out another receiver and I'll lose all my recordings again.

Hey DISH, how about checking the firmware and fixing this problem already!

Possible power issues, possible HDD issues. Old unit, doubtful the HDD is very new. Is it on an UPS?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts