Dish 811 OTA S-video weirdness

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

redline65

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 29, 2004
Little Elm, TX
I got around to trying the S-Video output on my Dish 811 receiver. I'm thinking about getting a PVR and want to use this output for recordings. I have a 16:9 TV, but as I expected the S-Video output only sends a 4:3 picture. SD satellite fills the 4:3 picture entirely, and HD satellite fills the 4:3 picture, but adds black bars to the top and bottom (as I expected).

Where the weirdness occurs is with some of my OTA channels. I was getting black bars above, below, and on both sides of the picture, within the 4:3 picture. So there was basically this tiny picture in the middle of my 16:9 screen. I noticed this on NBC and FOX. Most of the other OTA channels were fine, they filled the 4:3 picture entirely. Has anyone else experienced this, and is there some way to correct it?

This occurs when a HD channel is only broadcasting 4x3 material. This actually happens alot - local news, commercials, local sindicated shows, even non HD network shows (network news, etc). They have to put left/right side bars to create the 16x9 image. To the 811 it is still a HD signal, so it puts the top/bottom black bars on.

From my understanding the 6000 could ZOOM on this small 4x3 image to fill the entire screen via svideo. I hope this is addressed with the 811.

My local ABC/CBS have a second digital signal (I think all OTA digital stations have to do this) which is a 4x3 SD duplicate of whatever is on their analog channel. This 4x3 image does compeltely fill a 4x3 screen, but it is not nearly as clear and crisp as the downressed HD image.

KyDave said:
This occurs when a HD channel is only broadcasting 4x3 material. This actually happens alot - local news, commercials, local sindicated shows, even non HD network shows (network news, etc). They have to put left/right side bars to create the 16x9 image. To the 811 it is still a HD signal, so it puts the top/bottom black bars on.

From my understanding the 6000 could ZOOM on this small 4x3 image to fill the entire screen via svideo. I hope this is addressed with the 811.

My local ABC/CBS have a second digital signal (I think all OTA digital stations have to do this) which is a 4x3 SD duplicate of whatever is on their analog channel. This 4x3 image does compeltely fill a 4x3 screen, but it is not nearly as clear and crisp as the downressed HD image.

Thanks for the reply. The 811's remote has a format button to zoom, but it only seems to change the format of the on-screen display and not the picture when this is happening. I can use the Zoom on my TV to fill the screen, but then the picture gets pretty ugly and the lines on the screen are very pronounced. As for a second digital signal, the stations in my area do this but it's usually for a different feed, like weather radar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts