Translate What This All Means To Buying Decision

S

Seadoo

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Guru
Jan 26, 2004
129
0
Ok I have read just about every post on the 921. On the surface it would appear that you would be crazy to buy one,.....yet I read threads of excitement. All you techies out there who are being critical....is this just normal for a new piece of equipment? I get the feeling that some of you are being critical but expect things to be solved eventually. Certainly the benefits of the proposed operation of 921 are very interesting to me. Do I need to just take a patience pill and assume all will be well eventually? Just need some translation on reading between the lines.
 
J

jsanders

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 4, 2003
411
0
Seadoo said:
Ok I have read just about every post on the 921. On the surface it would appear that you would be crazy to buy one,.....yet I read threads of excitement. All you techies out there who are being critical....is this just normal for a new piece of equipment? I get the feeling that some of you are being critical but expect things to be solved eventually. Certainly the benefits of the proposed operation of 921 are very interesting to me. Do I need to just take a patience pill and assume all will be well eventually? Just need some translation on reading between the lines.

It depends a lot on you. If you are what is termed, an "early adopter", then by all means go out and buy one! If you are the type that still has a VCR in your living-room that blinks "12:00", or "--:--", then maybe you should wait.

The 921 got a new software update last Thursday that helped with a lot with the unit locking up. There are still a number of issues to be addressed though. It is going to take some time to iron out all of the bugs that are still in it though!
 
Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
100,692
20,244
Newington, CT
The 921 is not a bad unit, but its not a really good unit eaither.

As I have said before if you plan on using it as a HD Satellite DVR it works nicely, it would work better with some additional features, but it work now as is.

If you are planning on using the 921 mostly for recording Over the Air digital signals the 921 is NOT for you at this time.

It's getting better but it still has aways to go.
 
W

waja

SatelliteGuys Family
Supporting Founder
Nov 29, 2003
41
0
S.F. Bay Area
Here is another way to look at it. The 6000 HD receiver is still buggy and prone to occasional lockups. It has been out for nearly 4 years. How long do you want to wait?
--
Rick
 
T

Tahoerob

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 10, 2003
402
0
Hayden, ID
Here is my outlook:
I got a 6000 HD receiver last year to add to my 501 DVR. Afterwards, I watched MOSTLY HD content. It was good except that I was not able to record anything.......well now here comes the 921.

Yipee! Now I can record any and all HD as well as any SD. At first I thought having 2 tuners is not a big deal UNTIL you actually start using it. It is quite nice to record on 1 tuner & switch to another.

Prior to the 6000, my only HD was a few PBS shows that I caught OTA with a Sammy 151 box. Granted, the OTA tuner was essentially DOA on the 921 until last week. Once guide info comes along it will be even better. However, my Sammy 151 did NOT have any guide info!

With the OTA software fix, the 921 performs just as well or better than the Sammy 151 or DIsh 6000 for OTA reception. NOW, I have the option to RECORD.

I think the PQ for the SD channels is at least the same or better than the 501 model.

So for $999, I get an OTA receiver that RECORDS. I get a DUAL TUNER satellite DVR that RECORDS HD & SD. If you bought the required hardware to do the same it would cost a lot MORE.

Also, after using the 921 for the last month, I have more HD recorded on the hard drive than I have time to watch!!!!
 
S

Seadoo

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Guru
Jan 26, 2004
129
0
Thanks people that helps. It looks like it is ok now with the ability to get a lot better. I have been waiting for this for a long time and have been planning all my other purchases around it. So it sounds like I am going for it. Now if I can just find one.
 
B

bytre

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 16, 2003
159
0
>> If you are what is termed, an "early adopter", then by all means go out and buy one! If you are the type that still has a VCR in your living-room that blinks "12:00", or "--:--", then maybe you should wait.

I take offense at that. I am adopting a 921 as fast as I can, but my VCR blinks "--:--". I don't think I've used the VCR in a few years now other than to plug it into a cable to get the Dish guy to run a fourth cable for me (made it look like an OTA cable coming through the wall).
 
J

jsanders

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 4, 2003
411
0
bytre said:
>> If you are what is termed, an "early adopter", then by all means go out and buy one! If you are the type that still has a VCR in your living-room that blinks "12:00", or "--:--", then maybe you should wait.

I take offense at that. I am adopting a 921 as fast as I can, but my VCR blinks "--:--". I don't think I've used the VCR in a few years now other than to plug it into a cable to get the Dish guy to run a fourth cable for me (made it look like an OTA cable coming through the wall).

No offense intended. Trying to record OTA stuff with the 921 is unfortunately like programming the VCR at the moment. Recording satellite transmissions are a lot easier with the programming guide. No jab intended, it was quite a literal description! :)
 
B

bytre

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 16, 2003
159
0
jsanders said:
No offense intended. Trying to record OTA stuff with the 921 is unfortunately like programming the VCR at the moment. Recording satellite transmissions are a lot easier with the programming guide. No jab intended, it was quite a literal description! :)

nah, my post was in jest. My vcr just happens to be blinking --:-- at the moment.
 
T

tlturbo

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 18, 2003
57
0
Lake Worth, FL
Hi
I have a couple more questions along the same line.

I live in Ft Lauderdale (have a 501 with a 921 to be installed next week) and get the Dish local Miami stations. Am I correct in assuming the Dish Locals DO NOT contain HD signals for the shows that say Broadcast in High Definition? That the ONLY way to watch CSI for example, is to put up an off air antenna?

Now just exactly what can and can't be done at the present time with the 921 and HD OTA programming?
Can you watch HD OTA programming without problems?
Can you record the HD OTA programs?
Just what is the issue with the programming guide you all keep talking about?

Many thanks - just want to know in laymans terms what I will and will not be able to do with this $999 wonder box.

Terry
 
T

Tahoerob

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 10, 2003
402
0
Hayden, ID
tlturbo said:
.........I live in Ft Lauderdale (have a 501 with a 921 to be installed next week) and get the Dish local Miami stations. Am I correct in assuming the Dish Locals DO NOT contain HD signals for the shows that say Broadcast in High Definition? That the ONLY way to watch CSI for example, is to put up an off air antenna?
yes, you need an OTA antenna seperately installed. The only other possibility is ask Dish CSR during 921 activation whether you qualify for CBS-HD from Dish. You need to be in an Owned & Operated market (means CBS owns the local station). Check other threads about OTA antennas.

Now just exactly what can and can't be done at the present time with the 921 and HD OTA programming?
Can you watch HD OTA programming without problems?
Can you record the HD OTA programs?
Just what is the issue with the programming guide you all keep talking about?
......Terry
You can watch AND record any OTA currently. The recent software update made the OTA antenna tuner more stable. You can also use any of the DVR functions with OTA (ie pause! etc..)
When you scan or manually add OTA stations to the 921 guide, you get a generic Off Air programming listed. Thus no current info about programs. Some stations do broadcast this info with the program & stand alone set top boxes for OTA will then show this in banners & guides. However, in my area (DC\Baltimore) most of the stations are NOT doing this. The other method is for Dish to add the info themselves. They do this now for the SD locals that you already get. Another problem is that on the 921 the SD locals revert back to thier 8000 range numbers instead of "locals in locals" numbers. (ie ABC channel 7 seen as channel 7 in the guide.) This is supposed to be planned as a future fix.
 
T

tlturbo

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 18, 2003
57
0
Lake Worth, FL
OK, that helps a lot. Got another one now. :D

Since I have local channels provided by dish, when I put up the OTA antenna, I would at that point be able to watch the same channel 2 ways, right? My Dish locals are as you say, listed OK in the guide as 8000 series channels with all program info. I have never seen them listed anywhere else (7, 11, etc). Am I missing something here? So IF I wanted to keep the Dish locals, I could use that guide for times and info and then actually watch the OTA channels? Or are you saying the OTA channels over lay the 8000 listings and screw them up? Sorry to sound ignorant.

So do most people, once they get the OTA up and going, do away with subscribing to the DISH locals? I would think once they get the local OTA guides working, there wouldn't be a need for keeping the Dish Locals.
 
J

jcord51

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 29, 2003
63
0
You are forgetting that you only have one OTA tuner, so if you wanted to record ABCHD OTA and CBSHD in Sat mode you can. For $5 locals are worth it.
 
Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
100,692
20,244
Newington, CT
tlturbo said:
OK, that helps a lot. Got another one now. :D

Since I have local channels provided by dish, when I put up the OTA antenna, I would at that point be able to watch the same channel 2 ways, right? My Dish locals are as you say, listed OK in the guide as 8000 series channels with all program info. I have never seen them listed anywhere else (7, 11, etc). Am I missing something here? So IF I wanted to keep the Dish locals, I could use that guide for times and info and then actually watch the OTA channels? Or are you saying the OTA channels over lay the 8000 listings and screw them up? Sorry to sound ignorant.

Actually there is an update that is being sent out to Beta Testers which let's you remap your locals from Satellite to their correct Off Air Channel number.

No word on what this means if you also have OTA channels assigned to those channels as well. Especially Off Air Digital.
 
T

Tahoerob

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 10, 2003
402
0
Hayden, ID
Scott Greczkowski said:
Actually there is an update that is being sent out to Beta Testers which let's you remap your locals from Satellite to their correct Off Air Channel number.

No word on what this means if you also have OTA channels assigned to those channels as well. Especially Off Air Digital.

hopefully all will be integrated.
At least we can then see what is on ABC SD on Dish locals & then tune to it on OTA!!
Also, it would make setting OTA timers a little easier to look at LIL numbers in guide; set SD timer & then change to OTA channel.
 

Similar threads

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top