Dish 921 Drawbacks vs Tivo

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

zubinh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
Long Island, NY
Hi All :

This is my first post to your forum.

I am debating if I shoud stick with Dish or jump to Direct. The features of their HD DVR's will make the difference. While reading some of your posts I realize the Dish 921 has two drawbacks:

1. No guide Data for OTA stations

2. The 921 does not simultaneously output HD via the component cables and SD via svideo or composite video. It's one or the other, and is switched with the HD/SD button on the remote control. (That is way too annoying)

BUT My system will be hooked up thru DVI. Will this still occur with the 921 or 250??

Does anyone know if these two problems also exist on the HR10-250???? If they don't I'll probably switch to Direct.

Lastly, Do I have to use SuperDish with the 921?

THANKS (Please forgive me if these questions were answered elsewhere)

2. The 921 does not simultaneously output HD via the component cables and SD via svideo or composite video. It's one or the other, and is switched with the HD/SD button on the remote control. (That is way too annoying)
This is also a limitation of the HD DirecTivo.

The DirecTivo HD does have a second OTA tuner (so it can record two HDTV local programs simultaneously) and guide data on the OTA DTV/HDTV locals.

Thanks Ken.

I sthat still the case if I use DVI. Cant both SD & HD go thru the DVI and in that way I dont have to switch between inputs?

I sthat still the case if I use DVI. Cant both SD & HD go thru the DVI and in that way I dont have to switch between inputs?
Yes it can. You can switch between SD and HD signals on DVI by pressing an up arrow key on the remote, while watching a channel. Whenever in SD mode, the other outputs activate as well.

See a picture for the setup option right here.

I think maybe you're confusing content with transport.

The incoming show can be HD or SD. The box will convert whichever it is to whatever output is active. Obviously, as HD show going out the SD output won't look like HD, and an SD show on the HD output may look better or worse (people in the forums always "discuss" that one :) ).

With my 921 hooked via component (3-cable) to my HDTV, HD & SD look just fine to me. I only use the SD output to dump a show to VHS. Others have different opinions using different boxes & TVs.

Bottom line - it's all good. If you DO prefer switching outputs, it's easy enough.

Another drawback (for some) is the lack of a second OTA tuner, meaning you can only record one OTA channel at a time on the 921.

That's two 30 minute buffers, Don. And each can be on a different satellite or OTA channel, or two satellites or two OTA channels, at the same time. ;)

John Walsh said:
I was starting to wonder about whether I should switch to Directv but you guys are selling me on the 921

And you only get a lousy 90 day warranty with hr10 250....921 1 year!

dfergie said:
Dont forget with the 921 you get Charlie Chats :D

AND a much better opportunity to use that longer warranty. :yes

sorry, I just felt the need to jump in with something stupid :smug

I think the issue is who'll pay the customer more. Will Charlie give me an invcentive to stay with Dish and use a 921? I doubt it.

I think there's a better chance of Direct lowering the price of the HDTivo for new subscribers.

PS I missed the last Tech forum on Dish. Is it true that all OTA guide issues have been resolved?

zubinh said:
PS I missed the last Tech forum on Dish. Is it true that all OTA guide issues have been resolved?

Not yet...supposed to take place in the next software update either this week or next

Mark S. said:
Not yet...supposed to take place in the next software update either this week or next

Mark S
What do you mean by 14 OTA Digital channels scanned by system, did you know you could get OTA digi before you got your 921?

The 921 is an overpriced heap of junk. We all know it. If you're gonna stay with Dish and need HD with DVR, you'll want to wait for the 942. It looks like the best thing since sliced bread, and won't cost you a mortgage payment to acquire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)