Dish 942 for ota only?

TNnavearam

Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Please forgive me if this belongs in FAQ, but if someone could point me to the answer I'd be grateful. I want to use an old 942 as an OTA tuner only, with no satellite hookup. Is this possible and if so what does one have to do to make it work?

When I simply hooked it up it would not allow me to scan the local channels.

Thanks.

Last edited:
you need to have a satellite connection to the 942

I use my 811 for OTA only (but have a line from 119 to keep the satellite part working)

Is there any way to make it think that it has a satellite connection without hooking up a satellite antenna? I still have the old LNBs.

I have mine hooked to a dish 500 and use it everyday to record locals, you have to set timers manually because of no guide info.

this is belongs

this is belongs in FAQ, but if someone could point me to the answer I'd be grateful. I want to use an old 942 as an OTA tuner only, with no satellite hookup. Is this possible and if so what does one have to do to mak

I have mine hooked to a dish 500 and use it everyday to record locals, you have to set timers manually because of no guide info.
Be nice if they'd turn on the guide info for the 942 like they do the 811. At least then we'd get some value out of what we paid to buy them.

OTA 942

I have tried the same thing, and have the satellite hooked up to my 942 and receive the free ones such as NSA, but the receiver will not let me scan in my OTAs. I know I have the OTA signal for input since I hooked it to directly to another tv. When I go into menu the receiver won't let you into local channels, as local channels are not lit up, even though the rest of the menu selections are. When I first hooked it up the receiver, it allowed me to download the OTAs but over night the OTAs where gone . I have tried rebooting but it doesn't solve the problem. Does dish network delibertly send out soft ware to disable a receiver for OTA if the receiver is not activated? I have 2 other receivers in my home that are activated but didn't feel like I needed or wanted to pay an extra DVR charge to acivate. Thanks for any one that can help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts