Dish about to lose even MORE local channels

It doesn't SOUND like it, it flat out says it.

Obviously, they can't carry all the subchannels, but if this is the only CW in the area, it seems fair to carry it, and I'm sure the customers would appreciate it. But they probably don't want to open things up so every channel demands that their RTN and Weather feeds and all that other stuff be carried.

Dish does carry digital sub channels in some markets (like here in Wichita Falls they carry a telemundo).

Dish already carries a subchannel in that market, as they carry the Texoma Fox which is a subchannel of the CBS affiliate KXII. This market also does not have an ABC affiliate. KTEN carries NBC on the main channel and CW and a weather channel on 2 subchannels. KXII carries CBS on the main and Fox and MyNet on the subchannels.

The FCC just release two reports on DTV coverage. Lots of folks will lose OTA coverage altogether and there are some markets where people who couldn't get analog signals will now see digital signal.

It depends on a lot of things so there is no good answer for you. For one, our locals are using a lot less power when transmitting their digital signal (as compared to the analog signal).

I like digital better for one reason - you either get it or you don't. While it's not quite as black and white as this it is much better than the old analog days. Fidget with the antenna as much as possible and still you get ghosting (from reflected/delayed transmissions) and lots of other nasty stuff. Digital is much easier to lock on and get a great signal. You either get it or you don't (although there is a small mid-point in which you get tons of breakups and signal loss).

The FCC just release two reports on DTV coverage. Lots of folks will lose OTA coverage altogether and there are some markets where people who couldn't get analog signals will now see digital signal.
Map Book For Full-Power Digital Television Stations Having Significant Changes in Coverage

Some of these local network stations are wanting the provider to pay for or broadcast all of the substations or not be allowed to carry the main network station at all in order for that company owning the station to maximize their profits. This is the same thing that the major channels try to do and succeed at doing (Disney, Viacom, etc). You take all the garbage channels (and pay for them) or you get NONE of the channels at all.

Upon examining the maps covering the NYC DMA and it's most distant points within it's DMA I conclude that...

THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE OUTRAGE!!

Sullivan County, NY has been totally forgotten about!

Shouldn't it be required that everyone be served? Granted it will be a problem if you are in a valley but except for the extreme SE corner of the county, nothing. Absolutely nothing! No signal at all!

If NYC stations have no intentions of serving my area OTA, then release us from this DMA or send us a higher powered signal! This should be the law!

In the area where I live E* carries the locals and D* only carries 2 of them (SD). In the area where I did live in a few months ago D* carried all the locals & E* only carried 3 (SD). So it varies from area to area. Right now I "have moved" into an area where The CW is also in HD from E*. I of course have an OTA as well so I can get PBS HD + big 4 in HD, CW & MyNet are SD sub channels.

Dish already carries a subchannel in that market, as they carry the Texoma Fox which is a subchannel of the CBS affiliate KXII. This market also does not have an ABC affiliate. KTEN carries NBC on the main channel and CW and a weather channel on 2 subchannels. KXII carries CBS on the main and Fox and MyNet on the subchannels.
You are correct but, lets also remember that Texoma Fox is an HD channel. KXII has encoders that can broadcast one 1080i feed, one 720p feed, and one 480i feed on one channel and are currently the only station in the country doing this. So, FOX is a subchannel but, it is an HD subchannel. Next, E* already provides CW to customers in this DMA on ch. 251 out of New York. KTEN's CW does not have any local programming on it at all. At least channel 251 has a news show. What KTEN needs to do if the want to get more advertising money is buy some encoders like KXII has so they can do 2 HD feeds at once then, get rights to broadcast ABC on a HD subchannel. Then, we would no longer be the only DMA in the US without an ABC affliate. I bet E* would pay for an ABC subchannel just like they do a FOX one, expically if it is a HD one.

It has nothing to do with Fox being an HD channel and more to do with Fox being one of the "big 4" networks. KXII is also not the only station doing 2 HD feeds now, although they do a good job at it. It is more likely about bandwidth. Why carry a subchannel that will only take up more bandwidth when they can just use a station they already have up and the fact the CW may not exist in another year. Granted if this were ABC they would probably have put it up.

I agree, KTEN just wants to tell their advertisers that more eyes are looking at them. If they really wanted to help the customers out they would be pushing for 10.3 to be put up there that way we would have 24-7 weather radar on E*. But, they don't run commericials on that channel so that would be no advantage to them. I have an antenne hooked up to my 722 so I will just watch Channel 5 out of Dallas. But, this is going to affect some people alot. I get my local news from KXII anyways, It is a little more relevent to us here on the Texas side. I hope E* breaks them because this is nobody but KTEN's fault it the channel gets pulled.

Yep, I can pull Dallas at night and OKC most of the time from Pontotoc, but it is tough. My mom only switches to KTEN and KXII for the weather, the rest of the time she watches the Tulsa locals off the sat, as I have her account address set up for my office in Broken Arrow. Been that way since the Tulsa locals became available 5 or 6 years ago. Got her a HDTV a year and half ago, but she she still would just use the satellite because of the dvr.

I have a locals related question I hope someone on the forum can answer. I currently can't get my locals over ther air, (and of course Dish doesn't carry them) because I live a little too far from the transmission tower. My question is when they switch to digital, will I like have a better chance to pick up the signal over the air, or a lesser chance, or will it be about the same. I guess what I am asking is whether or not the digital signal is stronger and basically covers more distants than the analog signal?
From what I understand part of the deal in this digital transition is thawt TV stations must operate at full power. Many now do not. So it is spossible that some areas now with marginal recpetion may see an improvement once the transition becomes effctive. In other towrds that station which is not operating at full power must do so after Feb 17th
Again, from what I understand.

I'd say if you are presently in a white area (no analog or digital signals) you will still be in a white area after the digital transition. Are there any translator stations in your area?

I know this is a few days old but it still needs a response.

A lot of people (still) today watch OTA stations that are full of ghosts or snow, but with Digital television there are no ghosts or snow, the way Digital works is eaither you get the signal or you don't. There is no in between.

Cable and Satellite is helping broadcasters reach their audience.

Not specifically true. Have you ever seen a dropout or macroblocking from an OTA digital channel? If you have that's a case of getting something in between on and off. There's enough data loss to drop entire fields/frames or to lose the detail that makes up the macroblocks.

There's also pixelation and other flaws but those can be from either signal or bandwidth issues from the broadcaster. Can't make a determination on that one.

All this LIL bickering between the local stations and the various providers (Disn, DirecTV, et all.), in my opinion is just crazy. Yep, it's just greed by the local stations. If the providers have "must carry" laws, then the local stations should have "must provide" laws. These stations are NOT cable networks. They are OTA broadcast stations. If Dish can provide their transmission within the target DMA, then, IMHO, the station should provide their signal at no cost. They have an FCC license to serve in the public interest and provide programming to the public at NO COST. I believe that if the local stations want to charge for retransmission of their signal within their own DMA, then the FCC should revoke their terrestrial broadcast license and treat them no different than any cable network. Likewise, Dish should provide the local stations at a reasonable price as to cover the cost of retransmission. If Dish was allowed to retransmit the local station outside of the target DMA (which we know they can't), that however would be a different story.

But, the NAB, is a powerfull lobby. They will try to get whatever the local stations want.

Last edited:
davhamer said:
All this LIL bickering between the local stations and the various providers (Disn, DirecTV, et all.), in my opinion is just crazy. Yep, it's just greed by the local stations. If the providers have "must carry" laws, then the local stations should have "must provide" laws. These stations are NOT cable networks. They are OTA broadcast stations.
When the local into local law was passed for satellite, DirecTV and Dish Network had just over 10 million subscribers. After passage of the SHVIA, they are now 30 million strong today.

Funny how the growth (and revenues) in satellite came at the expense of those which provide programming that broadcast OTA. Yet they are, in your opinion, entitled to nothing.

Dish Network and DirecTV deserve to pay nothing to OTA broadcasters while reaping profits for over 20 million subscribers since the passage of the law.

Wow. I like one-sided arguments. :rolleyes:

So can you show the cause-effect relationship here or is this just idle speculation on your part?

Does your research show that these 20 million new subscribers signed up for satellite TV because of their locals.

As for myself I had Dish network for 3 years before I added locals and then only because of a unique family situation at my residence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts