Dish Absolute and New HD

airwalker82

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
Not sure if this is being discussed amongst the other topics, but has any other grandfathered HD Absolute users noticed that we have the New HD that was added yesterday, 3/11. I do not have Showtime, so I am not sure about those, but I sure have the new BET channel.
From what I gathered Absolute customers would not be receiving any new HD channels, but it appears with the addition of CI and now BET that is not the case. Has it been officially announced that Absolute customers would not be recieving this new HD? Or is this just an assumption everyone has made? From what I can tell, the only other HD added since the beginning of the year is Fox News/Business, which I am not getting, but neither is any Turbo HD user from what I read.
Any thoughts?

I'm seeing same thing. I bet it gets pulled and explained away as a free preview. Another (hopeful) possibility is that Absolute (HD Only Pkg) will get new HD channels that they put in the $10 Platinum pack. This holds true for Ci HD, not sure what package BETJ HD is tho.

I have Absolute and got CI and BET. I also have Showtime and got the new HD for those as well (but that's to be expected). I do not have Fox News or Business though. We'll see what happens at the end of the month.

bet/J is a free preview that will go away at the end of the month. Dish is trying to sway you over to the Turbo packages at a higher price. Enjoy!

bet/J is a free preview that will go away at the end of the month. Dish is trying to sway you over to the Turbo packages at a higher price. Enjoy!
Apart from collectives of enthusiasts (such as those present here), I wonder exactly how many subs are still subscribed to HD Absolute. If it is a small enough group, maybe dish doesn't care. I mean the extra sub charges on, what, MAYBE 10k subs (and that is being liberal). :eureka E* could also be using the HD abs subs to pad the the Turbo Plat numbers when negotiating channel contracts.

Was it ever stated that BET/J was a free preview? :confused:

Not that I would care if it went away - pretty much worthless channel as far as HD content goes.

Being a customer of dish can be confusing enough, so being an Absolute sub is even more complex. :eek:

I have never heard it stated by DISH that Absolute would not get anymore channels. To the contrary, when I signed up for it I was told that I would receive all new non-premium channels. Mr. Ergen in one of his chats was asked and stated that we would continue to receive new channels "at least" thru 2008. I think a lot of people took that to mean that we wouldn't receive any after that, obviously not true since we have received CI and BETJ. Also alot of people think that grandfathered means nothing new. However, IMHO grandfathered just means no new subscribers, you still retain the rights and priviledges that you originally had (new channels) but if you ever change or drop it, you cannot get it back.:)

I have never heard it stated by DISH that Absolute would not get anymore channels. To the contrary, when I signed up for it I was told that I would receive all new non-premium channels. Mr. Ergen in one of his chats was asked and stated that we would continue to receive new channels "at least" thru 2008. I think a lot of people took that to mean that we wouldn't receive any after that, obviously not true since we have received CI and BETJ. Also alot of people think that grandfathered means nothing new. However, IMHO grandfathered just means no new subscribers, you still retain the rights and priviledges that you originally had (new channels) but if you ever change or drop it, you cannot get it back.:)

Well put, that was my interpretation of it also. I guess we will have our clarification once the viacom channels are up by April 1st. :up

Ok.. Considering St Patricks day is a round the corner you may just find that pot of gold too..:rolleyes:

Apr 1st is the day to wait for. But I am sure loving Disney XD in HD. Was that always there because I only did see it last night when I was surfing the guide. I know XD is on free preview this month but I always thought for us Absolute users, free previews were limited to SD only. HD channels are forever!!!!

It's still a little confusing. Is this TMC-E channel part of the Showtime premium package only? Meaning, will those that already have the SD TMC channels get it also or will we have to get Showtime as well?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)