Dish accepted NY HD LOCAL waiver!

glee989302

Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Norwich, CT
Dish accepted NY HD DNS Application!

Called dish today to add HBO and while on hold I asked the CSR if I can get channels 6300-6303 which are the out of market NY HD locals. She looked it up on the computer and it said I need a waiver. When I asked if I have to do anything she said no. The waiver was entered into the computer and was accepted but "can take up to 45 days for a response".

Is it me or did she know what she was doing? Is there really a chance I can out area HD locals?

BTW today is the first day I got HD! VIP 622 on a 50 Panny plasma!! :D

Last edited:
What she did was SOP (standard operating procedure). The actual waiver is up to your local stations. They will check your address against their coverage area and if they determine you are in their coverage area you likely WON'T get a waiver. The CBS O&O (owned and operated) stations are an exception to the rule. Some of them DO grant waivers.

After getting the 622 installed, I called the other night when I got home around 2am figuring they'd be pretty quiet, and chatted with their HD support people for a bit (it was actually a former local girl so got a lot of little tidbits.) I already had waivers for the NYC distants with CBS and FOX. She checked, and put me on hold 3 or 4 times and couldn't find any reason why we don't get the locals in HD other than "They won't let us turn them on right now..." Well for curiousity sake I emailed ceo the next day and got this response from Natalie Winters about an hour later:
"Thank you for your email. Currently at this time DISH Network is not offering Distant Networks in HD. We do have plans to have this available in the future but no announcements have been made at this time. "

-Mike

Slightly different tune...

mloebl said:
After getting the 622 installed, I called the other night when I got home around 2am figuring they'd be pretty quiet, and chatted with their HD support people for a bit (it was actually a former local girl so got a lot of little tidbits.) I already had waivers for the NYC distants with CBS and FOX. She checked, and put me on hold 3 or 4 times and couldn't find any reason why we don't get the locals in HD other than "They won't let us turn them on right now..." Well for curiousity sake I emailed ceo the next day and got this response from Natalie Winters about an hour later:
"Thank you for your email. Currently at this time DISH Network is not offering Distant Networks in HD. We do have plans to have this available in the future but no announcements have been made at this time. "

-Mike

Good ole Natalie, two months ago she replied to me that it was "illegal" for dish to provide Distant Networks in HD to those with waivers in place and currently receiving analog distants. Of course we all know this is not true but that was her belief. It sounds as tho maybe she is changing her tune somewhat but you can be rest assured that rural subs will not see this happen until two things have passed. 1. Dish rolls out all the HD LiLs that they plan on and 2. The FCC digital "white" area document comes out around June timeframe... Gerry

Mloebl,
I thought E* only accepted CBS waivers. How did you get FOX?

From what I read E* was not even taking applications for HD DNS yet. But the CSR was able to enter it into the system.

glee989302 said:
Mloebl,
I thought E* only accepted CBS waivers. How did you get FOX?

From what I read E* was not even taking applications for HD DNS yet. But the CSR was able to enter it into the system.

Original poster has only put in his application of waivers. He hasn't been approved of any HD local programing yet.

Plus, she may have just put the standard SD distants into her system, you never know what these CSRs are thinking...

I called my local CBS which does not broadcast any HD. They E-mailed me a waiver on a Friday, I faxed it to Dish on same Friday.........Called Dish on the following Tuesday and POOOOOFF!! I had CBSNY HD on my TV. Of coarse I had to go to TECH ASSIST and then had to have the csr put me on with a Manager and had to explain situation to him for about 10 minutes before he figured everything out, but non the less, I got it in under 5 days counting the weekend!!!

John

Hi,
We have had 'distant' locals for a couple of years by way of RV waiver-we live fulltime in an rv. Many times, as we were in process of upgrading our HDTV pkg, they assured me that we would receive HD locals out of Denver-our current local package. When we went to upgrade our service after installation, we were told we could not receive HD locals-from any of the 5 cities. Emailed ceo and received same reply as 'Mike' above. We can get CBSHD out of LA (sat 148) and had been for some time on a separate antenna on our rv. But, with the 211 receiver and Dish 1000, we can't use the rv antenna-system just doesn't see it. I have emailed them and asked why CBSHD is on sat 148. Why, if they are going to give it to us, do they not put it on a satellite that can be received. Emailed twice, no answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)