Dish Acknowledges HDMI issues with MPEG4 receivers

ptech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
Palm Coast Florida
As many of you have read my previous posts regarding my HDMI smoking on my 211 and others having similar problems. I finally got my call back from Dish tonight and one of their Supervisors Acknowledged that they are having compatibility issues with the HDMI outputs on the new MPEG4 receivers and are working on a software update. They are overnighting me a new receiver but I questioned him on the 622 I was getting Wednesday for my theater and he told me to try it and it may work, if not, wait until they come up with an update and use the component outputs.

Bottom line here is, if your getting those video and or audio glitches, you may want to switch to your component outputs until they fix the problem. As I stated in my earlier post, my HDMI totally smoked after 12 great hours of viewing. Could this problem possibly smoke your TV's HDMI input? Checked mine, it's ok.

I did forget to mention that even the SD picture is much better looking on the 211 and the features are much nicer.

So what Dish is saying is, "Our MPEG-4 receivers may only last for 12 hours, but we don't care. You'll still need one to see the new HD programming on 1FEB".

Dish product testing continues it's streak of incredibly poor performance.

mdonnelly said:
So what Dish is saying is, "Our MPEG-4 receivers may only last for 12 hours, but we don't care. You'll still need one to see the new HD programming on 1FEB".

Dish product testing continues it's streak of incredibly poor performance.
Even though my HDMI is smoked, the one positive note would be is that I still have my component output.

My friend with a PhD in semiconductors and integrated circuits is laughing as we read together here. He wants to get Dish soon but now has 2nd thoughts.

It is poor design at the engineering level that will make an output like that fry, and no firmware or software upgrade will help.

The aztek in charge of Dish's SOB (of the border i mean) team was not on the job that day. Well, to think about it we shouldn't blame him, he is just making a subsistence wage.

Dish's new ad campaign should read: "Welcome MPEG4 paying beta-testers, your pioneering effort will be remembered". Bang bang another fat bonus from the board of directors for the thin-lipped tooth-clenching executive.

I want MPE4 and i know it will succeed, just wished these visceral corporate hyenas would be more scrupulous.

Last edited:
Great. Now I'm debating whether or not I should purchase a 622. My 211 has been acting up. Sometimes when I turn to a different HD channel, nothing shows up on the screen. No audio or video. When I try to change to a different channel, same thing. I end up turning off the receiver via remote and the receiver will display the aquiring signal screen, do test 1-5, then work fine. This has happened 3 times since I activated it on Friday. I am using the HDMI connection also. I understand we are beta testers on these new receivers but I don't want to beta test a $700 box that might fry my TV.

I would suggest that Dish start participating in Silicon Images compatibility testing for their products ;)

Methinks they would smoke an output or two during that period and figure out something is up then.

Well then again, they don't really call it HDMI so...

If I may ask where did you buy defective units? it may be a bad batch , hopefully because I have one being delivered tuesday and am afraid to use hdmi input.
Bruce

Dish to customers...

"Were going to make you buy all new equipment to get the new <wink, wink> MPEG4 HD channels that are really MPEG2 because we can't get MPEG4 to work. It will be in your best interest to have the latest in new receivers! even though we can't make the receiver work right either and may blow up your TV in the process. We'll promise to have no supply issues as long as you're the one of the first 12 callers, and we'll even help you with a rebate for those 921/942 owners!!! as long as you wait 2 months to get on the waiting list for the 622s we havent made yet. Have a nice day! or eat sh!t and die...we really don't care either way."

:rolleyes:

This is ridiculous.

If Dish is acknowledging problems with HDMI port, to the point of it malfunctioning, then what assurance do we have that our HDTVs won't be damaged? Just because this one didn't, doesn't mean a different set will be safe.

Perhaps there is wisdom in not upgrading our DVRs to 622s until April.

Dish is a utter joke, forcing buggy Mpeg4 receivers on us, when the prgramming will actually be mpeg2 for another year or so, way to go

Dish is playing with fire and they have just struck the match

-Gary

Scott is there any way you can check with Dish and see if this is a problem with all 211's or maybe some bad Quality Contol.

Thanks Bruce

BRUSTERAIDER said:
Scott is there any way you can check with Dish and see if this is a problem with all 211's or maybe some bad Quality Contol.

Thanks Bruce

I too would like to know if there is a way to check.

BRUSTERAIDER said:
If I may ask where did you buy defective units? it may be a bad batch , hopefully because I have one being delivered tuesday and am afraid to use hdmi input.
Bruce

Bruce

I purchased it from a retailer last Thursday and he said it had arrived the day before.

BRUSTERAIDER said:

Thanks Bruce
What Dish told me was they were having a compatibility problems with the MPEG4 receivers, remember, he told me try the 622 and see if it works. I really hope so but I will do it cautiously as that unit is for the theater and I just upgraded to a new 7.1 SS receiver to utilise all my HDMI inputs. I will plug in slowly and report back.

Scott, any information you could obtain would be greatly appreciated

One more note for you as I don't know if I mentioned it. After loosing my HDMI and several reboots and such, I plugged in the phone connection to see if Dish had some new requirement and the phone connection killed my home phone system, once removed, all was ok again as far as the phone.

in addition surges are out of the question as my whole house and phone system on UPS and monitored.

DWS44 said:
Dish to customers...

"Were going to make you buy all new equipment to get the new <wink, wink> MPEG4 HD channels that are really MPEG2 because we can't get MPEG4 to work. It will be in your best interest to have the latest in new receivers! even though we can't make the receiver work right either and may blow up your TV in the process. We'll promise to have no supply issues as long as you're the one of the first 12 callers, and we'll even help you with a rebate for those 921/942 owners!!! as long as you wait 2 months to get on the waiting list for the 622s we havent made yet. Have a nice day! or eat sh!t and die...we really don't care either way."

:rolleyes:
Thanks for the morning laugh:)

Knock on wood I have a 411 I purchased from Dishstore and I have not had a problem with HDMI. It's been running for well over a week.

I am having a problem with it dropping the satellite locals in the lower range ex. 004-00 but Dish is sending a replacement.

I will have to say that the picture seems better with the 411 than the 811 but it could be my imagination.

I hope I did not just jinx myself!

One of the two 211s that I have is acting up, HDMI it's not working, and the locals disappear. I have called the tech support yesterday and they had me to reboot the receiver (I had already done that) and the locals came back. This morning I checked right before I left for work, and guess what, the locals were gone. I will call them tonight and ask them for a replacement....

I think it is a software glitch but who knows. I complained until I got a replacement.

They originally sent in a request to engineering with no response. So they sent a replacement. The 411's are not in their system so it had to go to Corporate Resolutions or some BS department like that but I do now have an RMA and it is on it's way.

5th or 6th CSR I spoke with was helpful and gave me a half month credit for the 900 phone calls I had to make.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)