Dish Against the World: Why Dish Network Can't Stop Fighting

Back on topic, sure I miss getting AMC from Dish, but I'd rather they fought to keep prices down than to give in to every price gouge my locals and programmers.

I would agree with you but what if AMC is telling the truth? What if they haven't even talked about prices? Dish just dropped them without any negotiations at all. Plus the way they moved the channels. They didn't do that to FX. The big guys at Dish are taking this personal. I bet a certain law suite has something to do with it. Why else would they take it personal with NO NEGOTIATIONS at all???

22 blackouts are a lot. I canceled my install with Dish because of the whole Big Ten Network thing. I can't get locked into a contract and then they drop a very important channel to me and my family. Hell I may wait till college football is over to switch. It would not surprise me if they worked it out with The Big Ten and then have a battle with ESPN right after.

Good article.

I have always wondered about this one myself. I have always thought they should be working better TOGETHER.

Absolutely! I'm old school and was taught that your success is your business partners success and that you have a moral obligation to consider their interests (not merely your own) in any business undertaking. Far too often we see one partner take advantage of the other, steal their money, and throw them under a bus when finished.

But enough about the business of marriage. :bluesbros:

22 Blackouts is a lot, but they are primarily locals and it's not surprising. You've got a handful or so of owners, like Sinclair, with three to five stations each. Then the O&O Fox stations. In two years time, I'm not surprised there have been 22. But in that time, I can only remember one cable network blackout, FX nearly two years ago.

Back on topic, sure I miss getting AMC from Dish, but I'd rather they fought to keep prices down than to give in to every price gouge my locals and programmers.

Since losing AMC, we got a free roku, downgraded to at120, and our satellite bill now less than our internet bill!

Internet prices are getting just as bad as TV prices.

...Internet prices are getting just as bad as TV prices.

They certainily are. What the heck did we ever do with all that money we're not spending on Internet and Mobile Phones? Oh, that's right...being in the military I used to fork-over anywhere between $80-$200 in long distance charges each month for a few hours of calls to loved ones. Regardless, I'm receive more services but shelling out even more money.

Regardless, I'm receive more services but shelling out even more money.

That's the way it should work. My whole problem with the Dish disputes is that you end up paying the same money (or more when they inevitably increase prices again) but are receiving less services. Even the Roku/$10 credit doesn't balance out if you watch more than 1 show on AMC. If these negotiations are supposed to be to the customer's benefit...when are we going to benefit? It's not like my bill is going to go down any if Dish "wins" their negotiation (and we're still waiting for the Disney dispute to end).

With rising internet costs, it's almost as if Dish is trying to push us back to the days of renting physical DVDs via a mail order service to watch our favorite TV shows and movies. Hmm...if only they owned one of those services...

Yeah but 2013 will be the year of the packaging price increase.

Do people here honestly think their bill keeps going up but what they get stays the same? So customers that have been with Dish for 10 years still have only 60 channels, no HD, no DVR, no dual tuner or VOD but pay a higher rate? I know it seems like prices keep going up but nothing has been added but thats not true. It may not always be the same value to everyone but they are adding value to their service and it's not just Dish but Direct does the same. These companies are always changing and trying to add more value but also have to pass on their costs for certain things.

They certainily are. What the heck did we ever do with all that money we're not spending on Internet and Mobile Phones? Oh, that's right...being in the military I used to fork-over anywhere between $80-$200 in long distance charges each month for a few hours of calls to loved ones. Regardless, I'm receive more services but shelling out even more money.

Funny you should post this. Just the other day I came across my old plastic AT&T Calling Card that I used from Spain, Lo These Many Years Ago! I wonder if that system is still working.

I started with Dish with a $10/month promotion. I'm certainly paying way more today, almost $110! But yes, I'm getting a lot more, too. But it can't go on.

"He conducts himself the way a professional poker player tries to bully people at the table," the person, speaking on condition of anonymity, told TheWrap. "They try to push around the weaker players and bluff big. It's a funny way to treat people who are ultimately your business partners." This attitude might also explain why Dish is considered one of the worst companies to work for.
Definitely. Combine it with "You shouldn't tip the dealer because it's your money you're wasting when you do that", and it completes the picture.

Six or seven years ago I would have never paid $80 for T.V. services. Now that is a pretty good monthly rate. Maybe at some point it will go to some type of ala cart type programming. I realize the smaller channels wouldn't survive, but maybe this is what has to happen eventually. I know for my family, 20 channels or so would do the trick.
It is also unfortunate that some of these contracts with the networks and providers don't come up at the same time. If Dish and Direct could get together and then get the cable companies on board, they could set the prices to carry the networks. Maybe a Dish Direct merger wouldn't be such a bad thing. You'd be talking almost 40 million subs. It is hurting AMC to loose 14 million with Dish. Just imagine if Direct also pulled AMC, or the same situation with Viacom last month. That's a lot of viewers not watching those stations. To bad the providers use these disputes to try and gain subs from the other guy with the dispute. Hell, even the networks put out ads telling customers to switch to a provider that carries their network.
The next ESPN contract that comes up, just tell them here is what we are paying. You can pull your channels, but when your contract comes up with the next guy, that is all they are paying also, and so on and so on. Seems pretty simple to me.

This is why government must mandate a la carte as an option. For one, I don't need to pay (and shouldn't have to) for my local channels. I get them OTA.

I see Charlie being the one to force the whole ala cart thing once Espn asks for more money. I see him spinning off all sports into their own premium sports pack. He has already said that something like this will happen soon ,but he hasn't said that DISH would be the one to do it. I see another hike in carriage fees with Espn/DISNEY/ABC forcing this to happen. Either that or Charlie will start a new video service through Echostar that has no forced bundling or ala cart from the start.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)