Just signed up for Dish. Can I cancel without getting an ETF?

ndixon1517

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
I just signed up for Dish on Aug 6th. 6 days ago. Not happy with it. Is it too late for me to cancel without getting an Early Termination fee? Either way, how long does one have to cancel before they get hit with an ETF? Thx.

I believe at one time it was 3 days, but as with most things that probably has changed.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

It might also be possible to stay with Dish and get your concerns addressed. What exactly is making you unhappy?

I just signed up for Dish on Aug 6th. 6 days ago. Not happy with it. Is it too late for me to cancel without getting an Early Termination fee? Either way, how long does one have to cancel before they get hit with an ETF? Thx.

I am sorry that you are unhappy with your DISH service and I would like to assist you if possible. Please let me know what is happening, thank you! The ETF is in effect as soon as the install is complete and the contract is signed.

There is a law that you have 30 days to cancel if you don't like something.
Or there was a law, not sure if still used.
But I worked in Comcast, and they told us so, but we never told the customers about it...

There is a law that you have 30 days to cancel if you don't like something.
Or there was a law, not sure if still used.
But I worked in Comcast, and they told us so, but we never told the customers about it...
I believe NY has that law too but each state is going to be different.

Look up what is actually the law, it isn't what some people here think, in any state. As for NY, they don't have a "cooling off" law. They have a very specific contract law for very specific items, Satellite is not one of them - UNLESS it was by a door to door salesman. Then it may be 3 days like most places.
The actual law is generally when you buy something in other than the normal business location of the company. For Dish, or Direct, anything online, on the phone etc.. is normal, there is no right to cancel. Open to possible cancellation rights is a local satellite retailer who comes to your house and you sign there. I can't find it, but there was some legislation to differentiate between you making the call, and being called on the fist contact if a contract was made on that first contact.

None of this is applicable if services are not rendered when stated, or not as claimed. The not as claimed can be tricky......

I am sorry that you are unhappy with your DISH service and I would like to assist you if possible. Please let me know what is happening, thank you! The ETF is in effect as soon as the install is complete and the contract is signed.
Sorry for getting back to you soo late on this. My wife and I aren't happy with the Hopper and Joey set up. We only have 2 tbs, one in our living room and one in my 11 year old daughters room. We don't like the fact that We can see all of her recordings and vice versa. And that we basically share Hard drive space. We don't even use the Primetime feature. I think we thought we could get it with just two single receivers. Last time we were with Dish we had a 922 receiver and my daughter had her own receiver. That was a perfect setup. So, all in all, if there was a way that we could swap out our hopper and Joey for two stand alone HD DVR's we'd be happy campers. Their are other little nit picky things about the Hopper HD DVR that we don't like that we never encountered with the stand alone HD DVR's in the past as well.

You could certainly go for a trade to 2 722's. It will cost you a bit more monthly though. The first 722 is free, the second costs $17 a month. Another scenario is to get a 211 for your daughter's room. You can add an EHD to that to make it a DVR, for a one time charge of $40. I'm sure Mary can help you through all the scenarios.

You could certainly go for a trade to 2 722's. It will cost you a bit more monthly though. The first 722 is free, the second costs $17 a month. Another scenario is to get a 211 for your daughter's room. You can add an EHD to that to make it a DVR, for a one time charge of $40. I'm sure Mary can help you through all the scenarios.
That would be awesome!! I'd prefer a 922, depending on the cost.

Funny. You could create a simple folder for all your Daughter's shows and one for yours and you wouldn't see each others shows. You could set up the timers to go to which folders and you could still share the 1 tb hard drive without switching. The 922 is antiquated receiver and it won't be getting to much in the way of new features added. THe hopper is the present and future receiver for now. It is a shame not to use the Prime time recording feature. There is a whole trove of shows recorded just waiting to be looked at in that folder. Many new shows that I never watched before , I now tune into because they are already recorded . Plus getting two new receivers is going to cost you both in monthly cost and in upgrade/downgrade cost.

Funny. You could create a simple folder for all your Daughter's shows and one for yours and you wouldn't see each others shows. You could set up the timers to go to which folders and you could still share the 1 tb hard drive without switching. The 922 is antiquated receiver and it won't be getting to much in the way of new features added. THe hopper is the present and future receiver for now. It is a shame not to use the Prime time recording feature. There is a whole trove of shows recorded just waiting to be looked at in that folder. Many new shows that I never watched before , I now tune into because they are already recorded . Plus getting two new receivers is going to cost you both in monthly cost and in upgrade/downgrade cost.
Would it be better to get a 722 over the 922? I don't like the fact that with my current set up, if my daughter is recording 2 shows and I'm recording 1 I'm stuck watching one of the recordings. I would like to be able to record 2 shows at a time and still give her the ability to record 2 shows at a time. Oh and another thing that bothers me is that I can't automatically connect wirelessly to the internet with this receiver. I have to buy a "kit" through Dish. Modem and router are in a different room because of the outlets.

I may have missed it, but have you considered getting two hoppers? If you can get past the nit picky stuff you are not thrilled with, this may be your best bet. You will have the latest equipment, and the monthly cost would be the same as one hopper and one joey.

Would it be better to get a 722 over the 922? I don't like the fact that with my current set up, if my daughter is recording 2 shows and I'm recording 1 I'm stuck watching one of the recordings. I would like to be able to record 2 shows at a time and still give her the ability to record 2 shows at a time. Oh and another thing that bothers me is that I can't automatically connect wirelessly to the internet with this receiver. I have to buy a "kit" through Dish. Modem and router are in a different room because of the outlets.

you need 2 hoppers, the limitation of 3 tuners in one hopper is not good for 2 room viewing

Just upgrade your daughter's Joey for a Hopper, same monthly cost and you will probably get the network adaptor for free from the installer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts