Dish aims to mollify cord cutters with mysterious new Internet-TV service

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

(((Garyd)))

Retired C-Band dealer
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
diamondsatellite@snet.net
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...ious-new-ott-service/?tru=ZYZRe#ixzz34qYHJrS3

This week, Dish Network revealed that its upcoming over-the-top (OTT) live-TV service – which has remained enigmatic up to this point – is being developed for an audience that most pay-TV operators are loathe to placate: “Cord cutters, cord nevers and what we call cord haters,” said Dish’s GM of Interactive and Advanced TV, Adam Lowy, speaking at the TV of Tomorrow Show in San Francisco Wednesday.

According to a report by Gigaom, Dish is currently in talks with each of the networks it delivers via its traditional satellite service about potentially licensing their content for the new OTT service. And it now appears the new service will be much more than a simple add-on option for the company’s 14 million or so satellite subscribers.

Back in March, Dish came out on top after a grueling six-month retransmission deal negotiation with The Walt Disney Company. Dish made exceptions within its AutoHop feature so that users can’t “hop” over ads during ABC, ESPN, and other Disney-owned network shows until three days after the respective content’s initial air date. In exchange, Dish won rights to throw ESPN and ABC content into its OTT service – we cannot stress enough how big of a deal this is for Dish.

Without ESPN, the provider would have an exceptionally steep hill to climb in terms of getting its new Internet TV service off the ground. Throw in the fact that the deal also netted a mother lode of Disney content for children, and Dish may have a legitimate shot at making its vision work. It’s a lesson that more and more content and service providers are taking to heart: kids and sports bring in subscribers.

Despite the lack of any information of substance from Dish, plenty of rumors of the single-stream service’s cost and individual offerings abound

Got a feeling this will be no deal once it is announced. My issue is that I am loathe to pay $100/mo for the little amount of content I actually watch. Since it is obvious that DISH is looking at ESPN and sports as a focus, they will likely price me out of considering it.

Got a feeling this will be no deal once it is announced. My issue is that I am loathe to pay $100/mo for the little amount of content I actually watch. Since it is obvious that DISH is looking at ESPN and sports as a focus, they will likely price me out of considering it.

Exactly. I would love to have locals and espn only, but they could do that by satellite at an affordable price if they wanted and not tie up my internet connection with it. I figure it will be a package deal that is only slightly cheaper than there existing packages.

I'm looking at both PrivateInt. and VyprVPN. Is there any difference besides Vypr is more expensive? I'm currently on Vypr 3 day trial.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)