DISH AirTV OTA Adaptor

Scion142

Original poster
Oct 19, 2016
Sunland, California
Does anyone know if DISH's new Air TV OTA adaptor works with the Hopper 3? Apparently, you can order the adaptor separately from the Air TV device but is needed to feed OTA signals into the AirTV. Shouldn't this adaptor also work with the Hopper? Many have tried to obtain an OTA adaptor for their Hoppers and they are either too costly, or unavailable. Just curious...

Reactions: charlesrshell
Scion 142, try talking directly to AirTV. I learned a lot that way. If all you want to do is send your antenna signal to the TV you can do that. The non-sling part on the TV would be a Roku or a Firestick or such. Get one for each TV you want to have use the antenna. The AirTV "black box" broadcasts the antenna signal to your home router (does not use internet, only wifi) and that communicates with the device on the TV.

I was very confused after chatting with a couple of guys at Dish. I kept saying "I don't want Sling I only want to get my antenna signal to the TV." Finally the second one said "contact AirTV."

Reactions: rmoore3d
I don't see how it could possibly work with the Hopper. The AirTV adaptor has to go into the AirTV box to work. The adaptor on it's own does nothing, in fact would block signals. Coming out of the AirTV box you use an HDMI cable to get the signal not USB or Coax. It just is not made to be nor is compatible with watching through a Hopper.
That AirTV adaptor is to get the signal to your TV via an HDMI input because the main function for AirTV is to get live TV to SlingTV or to mobile devices that can use the AirTV app.

In addition for quite sometime I see the Hopper 3/Wally two tuner adaptor readily available even at Walmart.

Tampa8, AirTV has two products. The one available through Dish is the AirTV Player, which the support staff at AirTV calls the "white box." It plugs in to the TV and Dish seems to be unable to talk about it without mentioning Sling.

The device that Scion142 is talking about is the AirTV "black box." It plugs in to your indoor or outdoor antenna and runs the antenna signal over your home wifi router to a device on the TV. The purpose of the "black box" is to get a coax signal from the antenna to the TV if you do not have a coax cable where you want it. The purpose of this device has noting to do with Dish. To use the "black box," you connect a streaming device, such as a Roku or a Firestick, to an HDMI input on your TV and watch your OTA channels this way.

I am planning to get the "black box" to supplement my Dish subscription, in the hope that I will be able to watch local channels when Dish service is disrupted by weather or other outages. We have good line of sight to all of the towers for the major TV stations, and my neighbor can get the local channels via rabbit ears, but we are not able to put the TV where we want to watch it and were an antenna would work, and it would be difficult to run a coax connection from the antenna to a TV.

The "black box" sounds kind of like the Tablo.TV box. Tablo takes the OTA signal, transcodes the signal and then makes the signal available via wifi or ethernet to an app that resides on your TV/Roku/FireTV.

Tablo.TV also has the ability to act as a DVR for the OTA signal.

Cheddar Head, I agree that to me Tablo TV seems to be like the Airtv black box with an added DVR. If I don't want the DVR, it seems like the Airtv would be a more economical way to go -- if it works. Not only is it new, but, other than merman9393, I haven't found anyone who is actually using ti.

Tampa8, AirTV has two products. The one available through Dish is the AirTV Player, which the support staff at AirTV calls the "white box." It plugs in to the TV and Dish seems to be unable to talk about it without mentioning Sling.

The device that Scion142 is talking about is the AirTV "black box." It plugs in to your indoor or outdoor antenna and runs the antenna signal over your home wifi router to a device on the TV. The purpose of the "black box" is to get a coax signal from the antenna to the TV if you do not have a coax cable where you want it. The purpose of this device has noting to do with Dish. To use the "black box," you connect a streaming device, such as a Roku or a Firestick, to an HDMI input on your TV and watch your OTA channels this way.

I am planning to get the "black box" to supplement my Dish subscription, in the hope that I will be able to watch local channels when Dish service is disrupted by weather or other outages. We have good line of sight to all of the towers for the major TV stations, and my neighbor can get the local channels via rabbit ears, but we are not able to put the TV where we want to watch it and were an antenna would work, and it would be difficult to run a coax connection from the antenna to a TV.
With the black box you can also send your locals to your phone or tablet through a app.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts