Dish America (29.99) vs. AT 120 (39.99)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mrgoodwrench69

Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
I currently had had the stand alone Turbo HD Bronze , now Dish America package for about 2 years now, is it worth going to the Top 120 with free HD? Just wanting the better value. Now that Disney is gone, my kids really don't have any programming to watch. I see the AT 120 has Nick, and with free HD it might be worth switching.... Any comments would be appreciated.

AT120 Free HD has been my package for a while. I think it is a great value. I used some of my savings and joined Netflix for 8.99 a month. That gives me tons of streaming (I use an Xbox) for me to watch commercial free children's programming with my daughter.

All in all, for TV (including Netflix), I pay $48.98 a month. I have one receiver which is a 722K with an OTA module. It is hooked up to both of my HDTV's (1 via component & 1 via HDMI).

yeah, we had that package for a while. you lose a lot of channels going with dish america. since then, we just went with t250. We already have netflix to supplement the movie channels.

I switched from AT120+HD to Dish America, and am very happy. It has everything we watch and much more. We do have Netflix with BluRay and also watch Netflix through a Samsung BluRay player, though.

The biggest benefit of Dish Network to us is the DVR (722k and 211k with EHD). Probably 3/4 of the things we watch are on Network TV, and otherwise it's ESPN, HGTV, and Food Network. We were on a Windows XP Media Center which we were very happy with until MS stopped updating the guide for that.

I was going to say we record a ton of local PBS for the kids. There are 5 PBS digital stations here in Bozeman, MT.

Thanks for the reply's. I think I will just keep my Dish America package, and hope they add additional programming for kids in the future. Switching to AT120 for an additional $10 a month really only gets me 1 or 2 channels that my family would watch.....

someone with netflix please tell me:

do you feel the amount of streamable content is sufficient? i heard awhile back that they did not a lot of movies available via streaming,how is it now?

movies, tv shows?

I was going to say we record a ton of local PBS for the
kids. There are 5 PBS digital stations here in Bozeman, MT.

I'm jealous :) Our only local PBS station shut down this summer, so we're getting one from a neighboring market which Dish doesn't carry in HD. Bummer...

someone with netflix please tell me:

do you feel the amount of streamable content is sufficient? i heard awhile back that they did not a lot of movies available via streaming,how is it now?

movies, tv shows?

We have the Top 250 package with Platinum HD plus Netflix, and I think it's a good mix. Netflix is great, but I'd say 4 out of 5 times if there's something specific we want to watch it's not available to stream via Netflix. But for those times when we're not looking for a specific movie or show, just something within a given category, Netflix is great. Plus it has most of the kid shows our daughter likes.

As for Dish with the Platinum HD add-on, what we do is each week I'll surf through the guide and select all the movies that look good to record, so over time we've built-up a nice collection of HD movies -- most not on Netflix streaming.

So for us it works pretty well to mix the two. And when Hulu Plus is out and available on our Sony BluRay player, I might look at that as well... who knows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)