Dish America Package: Recieve Only SD channels?

Bluemonick

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Georgia, USA
Is it possible to get the Dish America Package with a SD reciever? Obviously, you wouldnt get the HD feeds, but channels like ESPN that have an SD verison, could you subscribe to the Dish America package and only the feeds that are avaiable in SD and not worry about the HD portion??

Either way, is there any type of override for Dish Network to allow this, or have they allowed this in the past??

The problem is that SD receivers are mpeg-2 only, while the HD channels are mpeg-4 only.

Is it possible to get the Dish America Package with a SD reciever? Obviously, you wouldnt get the HD feeds, but channels like ESPN that have an SD verison, could you subscribe to the Dish America package and only the feeds that are avaiable in SD and not worry about the HD portion??

Either way, is there any type of override for Dish Network to allow this, or have they allowed this in the past??
You could get a 211 receiver and watch it on a SD TV set

You could get a 211 receiver and watch it on a SD TV set

Just try to contact Dish Network. They wouldnt budge on me getting Dish America with SD reciever. We have 301 model I think. I dont care about recieving HD only feeds. Could a Dirt member get us the Dish America package and get less channels (recieve only SD portion??)

We've had this question before. Dish said they cannot activate Dish America (or Silver or Gold...the other 2 HD only packs) without a VIP receiver on the account (211, 411, 222, 622, 722, 922). They cant even add a SD only receiver on the account once you're set up. Has to be a VIP receiver

are you currently a customer?

If so they might be able to upgrade you to a 211k but note they will send someone out to install a new dish to get the HD....yeah I know you dont want HD. But the only other option would be to buy a 211 off Ebay or the dishstore. I bought my 211 for like 110 bucks off EBay shipped

in the past 2 days, it seems I only see dish america with HD channels only. For e.g., 200 CNN HD, but no 200 CNN. My problem is I only get to use a HD LCD TV 3.5 days per week. I share HD TV panel with someone. So the other 3.5 days, I get to view an old TV. Now, why did all the SD channels of the this package disappear? As my old TV is 4:3, so I need to view 200 CNN SD.

There is a setting in the menu to have either HD only (the default) or both SD & HD channels in the guide

but right now it escapes me the settings. I know its under #8 preferences

I have a feeling the account would be tagged with "HD receiver" and when that is removed you'd lose the option for that package

With my Directv system I have 2 R22's which are SD DVR's but HD can be added to it. When I wanted to upgrade to HD I **HAD** to have a "legit" HD receiver (H23 I got) even though I didnt need it otherwise the system couldnt turn on the HD on the 2 R22's.

Since the DISH America packages are only available with MPEG4 equipment. If you have any standard definition equipment on your account it will prevent us from being able to add these packages. If you are interested in switching to one of the DISH America packages and have standard definition equipment, please send me a PM with your phone or account number and I will go over some upgrade options with you. Thanks!

yeah Dish did a software update recently (couple months ago) that defaulted it to HD only if there is a HD channel available (and you sub to it)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts