Dish and 3D - missing in action?

3D will be over half the TV market within 3yrs.:D

I really hope you are being sarcastic. I doubt that will be very close. Maybe LED TVs will be in over half of people's homes.

I saw some 3D at Dish's team summit and it looked pretty cool but I could never imagine people watching very much TV in 3D at home.

I really hope you are being sarcastic. I doubt that will be very close. Maybe LED TVs will be in over half of people's homes.

I saw some 3D at Dish's team summit and it looked pretty cool but I could never imagine people watching very much TV in 3D at home.

:up:up:up

I bought Beta. I bought LaserDiscs. I bought HD-DVD.

No 3-D TV for me until there is a universally adopted standard set in stone.

I bought a Quadraphonic 8 track home system...It was my first home system...(of course my home consisted of my bedroom)...I purchased it from the leading A/V store, JC Penney... with a BSR turntable!

:D:D:D:D

I personally hope this 3D technology or trend flops. Maybe it will take hundreds of people going into seizures while watching it at home that will stop it. its going to take forever before there is adequate content anyways

I personally hope this 3D technology or trend flops. Maybe it will take hundreds of people going into seizures while watching it at home that will stop it. its going to take forever before there is adequate content anyways

I hope to get a 3D set soon so I can join the class action lawsuits in a few years. :rolleyes:

I don't understand the people that want 3-D to fail. Is it because you don't want to invest the $ in the technology? The thing is, if you don't like it don't get it! Very simple. 3-D blu-rays will still be regular blu-rays as well. 3-D tv will still be broadcast as HDTV. Gaming will still be HD gaming (for now) so why all the 3-D hating?

Stereoscopic 3-D gaming in HD at home is so great ( in my opinion ), it's amazing how far tech has advanced.

I just hope Dish hops on the bandwagon quickly and starts broadcasting golf and other sports in 'real' 3-D soon. I don't watch soccer at all, but if it were being broadcast in 3-D I would be ALL OVER IT!!!!

Not ready for prime time

I don't understand the people that want 3-D to fail. Is it because you don't want to invest the $ in the technology? The thing is, if you don't like it don't get it! Very simple. 3-D blu-rays will still be regular blu-rays as well. 3-D tv will still be broadcast as HDTV. Gaming will still be HD gaming (for now) so why all the 3-D hating?

Stereoscopic 3-D gaming in HD at home is so great ( in my opinion ), it's amazing how far tech has advanced.

I just hope Dish hops on the bandwagon quickly and starts broadcasting golf and other sports in 'real' 3-D soon. I don't watch soccer at all, but if it were being broadcast in 3-D I would be ALL OVER IT!!!!

My feeling is 3-D just isn't ready for prime time. I needs a huge investment right now on glasses & other outboard stuff. There are several companies working on not needing the glasses. I've read of 2 different ones in the past few months. One is in Europe the other is Asian. I don't hate 3D I just don't like the idea of the prices for things that will go obsolete in a short time. I was 1 of the 1st to go HDTV. In fact I was the only person in my class at the school where I took broadcast engineering to have one (only 2 of the teachers had them). It cost me $1600 for the 32" set & and outboard STB. When I got my Panny plasma it only cost $750. So I will this time wait for the tech to mature a bit.

That I can understand. I too will probably be waiting a bit. I really wish more things would support side by side and checkerboard. I have a 1 year old Mitsu DLP. If I have to buy a $99 adapter, that's not too bad. But, 2 pairs of X102 glasses adds $260 to the deal. If someone comes up with a way to watch WITHOUT glasses, that will be great. IF I don't have to buy a new TV. I already promised my wife this 73" TV will last years and years. Can't go back on that one.

That being said, those that early adopt this tech will be pushing the envelope and the demand for more content. Which will open the 3-D wider for the rest of us on the outskirts looking in.

The glasses are a big drawback, especially for my wife. I still plan to consider 3D when I need to replace one of my TVs, (hopefully years away), but won't pay a big premium.

I personally don't mind wearing the glasses, I just don't like paying $130/pair. They fit comfortably over my regular eyeglasses and don't get annoying after wearing them for hours. What is annoying, is if glasses are a permanent requirement, it sucks that if you have several friends/family over, everyone has to share to enjoy the new tech.

Not everyone can sit down and watch the latest 3-D blu-ray without spending over $1,000 on glasses alone. No thanks!

To me 3D right now is more of a gimmik than of real use. I suspect one day the technology will be there and it will be a must have item (like HD). Avatar is the only movie I have seen in 3D that I thought was enhanced by 3D, the rest the 3D was just really a way to charge more for the movie. I will be skeptical of these new 3D channels until I hear reports that it really enhances the viewing experience when it is shrunk down to a 50" or smaller set. When I have played with the sets in the store it seemed to stand out that the set was small and there was an abrupt cut off in 3D. The theater at least can fill your view.

I will let others invest in all the early adoption. I will buy when I hear/see it really working at least as well as a theater.

I will buy when I hear/see it really working at least as well as a theater.
Agreed. About 4-8 years from now. 8 yrs being the amount of time for mainstream, accessible media my guesstimate. HD took about 15 yrs longer to become consumer reality than thought.

Last edited:
Did someone say feel-o-vision? I have an idea how this could work:

You would have to have a suit with several vibration pads built in. These would be about 1/2" x 1/2" and they would cover the entire coveralls. A sensor could pick up IR commands from the TV set and the IR signals would activate various vibration pads at varying intensity such as from an intensity of 1 (feels like a bug on you) to 5 (feels rougher than a cellphone vibrate). Duration would also be controlled as well.

Here are some examples of when the suit would be activated: You're watching The Mummy and the sandstorm starts blowing towards the screen. The entire suit starts to vibrate and the intensity increases until the sandstorm passes. How about you are watching a movie that has many small bugs like roaches or spiders and the various vibration pads start moving in small specific wandering directions at low intensity. Just makes you want to jump up and shake them off of you! How about you're watching the SuperBowl and an end zone camera shows the receiver making the catch and you feel the "whump" of the ball on your chest?

Don't say it can't happen.

*The HD version will have 1/8" x 1/8" vibration pads.

I saw Bonanza on a 3D set the other night. "The Ponderosa looked fake. Hardly recognized Little Joe.". ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts