DISH and 4K

Have a nice wait!
Next up is the Denon x5200 Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 for 2K.
What a year for A/V!
And what exactly are we supposed to be waiting for? There's no readily available 4K content, or if there is, does anyone really want to watch it? I'll keep my money until it's worth spending it for...and will certainly be a lot cheaper if and when it happens. In the mean time, more than happy with my three beautiful plasmas.

Last edited:
I really think Dish is planning 4K via internet as part of its new OTT service. Far cheaper to achieve and do so this very minute without involving the precious sat bandwidth. Also, no replacement of current boxes because the only REAL efficiency one can achieve for the 4K on sats is the latest MPEG H.265 which is supposed to provide a 50% reduction in data size, but that would require a hardware change-out, something Ergen referred to as "Painful and costly" in the last Quarterly earnings call when discussing his last chaneg-outs for HD and MPEG4, and with a clear emphasis in his voice when he stated so. I don't see Ergen going down that road so soon and possibly ever with his satellite and in home hardware.

I could see Dish having a few 4K channels on the sats, but, instead leveraging its current internet connected boxes to deliver 4K programming via the internet just as Netflix does today. Further the ISP's are greatly increasing downstream speed at no additional cost to the consumer, so the bandwidth will be there for the vast majority of subscribers, but rural areas will continue to have the challenges.

Flat panels won't last much more than 10 years anyway (look at the example above of the DLP that had to be replaced due to picture degradation).

Within 10 years, if there is a manufacturing push for 4K, and the retail stores only carry that, people will be forced to buy them. (Just like for a while people were forced to buy 3D sets unless they went the cheap route.)

So do you think the 4K content will closely follow that timeline?

And what exactly are we supposed to be waiting for? There's no readily available 4K content, or if there is, does anyone really want to watch it? I'll keep my money until it's worth spending it for...and will certainly be a lot cheaper if and when it happens. In the mean time, more than happy with my three beautiful plasmas.

I have 15 4K movies and 30 4K documentaries. Netflix has 4K movies. Amazon 4K streaming in October for Samsungs. MGo steaming movies 4K this fall.
Oh yeah, and there is this thing called upscaling which makes 1080P Blurays look amazing. Oh and a PC in 4K.
No content yeah. This is only the beginning...

Flat panels won't last much more than 10 years anyway (look at the example above of the DLP that had to be replaced due to picture degradation).

Within 10 years, if there is a manufacturing push for 4K, and the retail stores only carry that, people will be forced to buy them. (Just like for a while people were forced to buy 3D sets unless they went the cheap route.)

Thats how I ended up with a 3-D hdtv a year and a half ago. It was on sale and they had no other tvs except 3-d and the extremely large screen tvs I didn't want to pay for.

I have 15 4K movies and 30 4K documentaries. Netflix has 4K movies. Amazon 4K streaming in October for Samsungs. MGo steaming movies 4K this fall.
Oh yeah, and there is this thing called upscaling which makes 1080P Blurays look amazing. Oh and a PC in 4K.
No content yeah. This is only the beginning...
Still, I'll wait a year or three.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

Agreed. I'll buy my next TV when one of my current flat panels dies. Given how cheaply electronics are made these days, it'll be 5-10 years. And knowing how cheaply made TVs are, I won't be spending more than $1000.

Agreed. I'll buy my next TV when one of my current flat panels dies. Given how cheaply electronics are made these days, it'll be 5-10 years. And knowing how cheaply made TVs are, I won't be spending more than $1000.

They are cheaply made to get the price under $1k... But, as with most electronics it would be so dated if it lasted 15 years verses 5-7 years.

My last hdtv , an lcd tv from 2007 I got reduced price at Conns. It lasted from early 2008 when I got it, till 2012 before the picture faded and the details looked washed out. My parents bought it from me for $100.00 and now the picture has a large smear spot on the right side of the picture . My mom used glass cleaner with alcohol and it took the protective cover right off. They refuse to buy another one till they get their money's worth out of that $100.00. My dad has over $750,000.00 in his Ira and he is 75 this year. He loves tv and watching sports ,but won't break down and buy a new one.

I can remember an Emerson Walmart tv ,which was an sd tube top tv, lasted from 1986 till 2004, till I finally donated it to Goodwill. It was still working with no fade of picture. Eighteen years for a tube top tv, not too bad. I can't see an hdtv lasting more than 5 years tops now and having it work at top condition. The manufactures wan't to make sure that you have to upgrade every 5 years or so ,so they can make more $$$$$$$$.

I bought a 42" Vizio hd tv in 2006 and it's still looks the same as when I bought it. For years it was my only tv, while I lived in barracks in the army. I think I still have a few more years with that tv too.

My last hdtv , an lcd tv from 2007 I got reduced price at Conns. It lasted from early 2008 when I got it, till 2012 before the picture faded and the details looked washed out. My parents bought it from me for $100.00 and now the picture has a large smear spot on the right side of the picture.

IMHO you should give them that $100 back!

I really think Dish is planning 4K via internet as part of its new OTT service. Far cheaper to achieve and do so this very minute without involving the precious sat bandwidth. Also, no replacement of current boxes because the only REAL efficiency one can achieve for the 4K on sats is the latest MPEG H.265 which is supposed to provide a 50% reduction in data size, but that would require a hardware change-out, something Ergen referred to as "Painful and costly" in the last Quarterly earnings call when discussing his last chaneg-outs for HD and MPEG4, and with a clear emphasis in his voice when he stated so. I don't see Ergen going down that road so soon and possibly ever with his satellite and in home hardware.

I could see Dish having a few 4K channels on the sats, but, instead leveraging its current internet connected boxes to deliver 4K programming via the internet just as Netflix does today. Further the ISP's are greatly increasing downstream speed at no additional cost to the consumer, so the bandwidth will be there for the vast majority of subscribers, but rural areas will continue to have the challenges.

Its painful and costly $250-500M to launch just one comm bird into geosynch orbit. Also at the moment due to sanctions against Russia no western companies can use their space launch facilities anymore. There is China also but there may be some limitations on what can be launched over there especially if the bird going up has some sensitive dual use technology in it. So basically there are US and European launch facilities and those come with a premium price.

Think about it...pretty sad, can't even say "Launched in America " anymore.

IMHO you should give them that $100 back!
Considering I bought them their 722k receiver , sat dish and installed it myself all for FREE, I think I will keep the $100.00. My mother used the wrong cleaner to wipe the screen with and ruined the protective glare cover and that's what caused the smear on the tv. But I am thinking about buying a new one for their Christmas present this year , but it depends on how much I have for Christmas this year since my wife just retired and quit working. But I am sure my dad can afford one if he really wanted one. He is just cheap. But that's how he got his $750,000.00 in his retirement account. He never blew money on extras while I was growing up and he was born in the depression. He grew up with little and never learned how to enjoy his earnings.

Its painful and costly $250-500M to launch just one comm bird into geosynch orbit. Also at the moment due to sanctions against Russia no western companies can use their space launch facilities anymore. There is China also but there may be some limitations on what can be launched over there especially if the bird going up has some sensitive dual use technology in it. So basically there are US and European launch facilities and those come with a premium price.
And add to all that Ergen's quote from an earlier quarterly conference call when he sad, "If were building Dish Network [still the old name at the time--not renamed just "Dish" yet] today, I would not be investing in satellites." I think that tells us how Ergen views the internet as a delivery system, and lets face it, people don't really care HOW the programming gets to them, just that it is a positive experience. Dish will be using sats for many years, but I do think Dish will become more of a sat and IP hybrid system. After all, Dish is really pushing to get as many subscribers connected to the internet via their boxes for more than just VOD. It's about how some programming may be delivered by Dish in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)