DISH and 4K

I predict that in the next 3 -4 years you will only be able to buy 4K televisions.

This is not a fad like 3D was.

My only wondering is how far is it until we see 8K.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
Agreed on UHD edging out all but the smallest and cheapest screens. And "4K" UHD might breathe new life into 3D.

But I'll be a MUCH harder sell on "8K."

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

If cost were not an object converting WA directly to 8PSK and HEVC would be an ideal situation. Given that Dish has been talking about doing a conversion of WA to 8PSK for a long time, but keeps putting it off, shows just how expensive even phase out of the old QPSK only boxes is going to be.

I suspect they're all gone by now, but a few months ago, if you walked down the aisles at Walmart, especially in front of the electronics area, you'd see big-ass TVs on sale for great prices, e.g. 60" set for $599, 50" for $399, etc. They were all plasmas....
Those were 720p's that were being closed out.

Most people only bought HDTVs because they quit making the tube tvs, so most people are happy with the HDTV image. I don't see the general public jumping on the 4k bandwagon anytime soon. Especially since, the HDTVs life expectancy is 100,000 hours, which is 11 years @ 24/7. So, if it is on 12 hours per day, that is 22 years.

Especially since, the HDTVs life expectancy is 100,000 hours, which is 11 years @ 24/7. So, if it is on 12 hours per day, that is 22 years.

The panel may make it 100k hours, but circuit boards & power supply will probably give out long before then.

...which is why I held off for so long in buying a large flat-panel HD. I'll bet my CRT HD I bought in 2007 will double the lifespan of the flat-panel I just bought.

...which is why I held off for so long in buying a large flat-panel HD. I'll bet my CRT HD I bought in 2007 will double the lifespan of the flat-panel I just bought.

That wouldn't surprise me. Those CRT TVs can handle a lot more smalls surges than a flat panel. If you don't have a flat panel plugged into a good surge protector I wouldn't expect it to make it much past 4 years old.

I've got most of my entertainment system equipment on a UPS...Dish receiver, TV, DVD recorder, Blu-ray player...most things that would be severely affected by a sudden loss of power.

I've got most of my entertainment system equipment on a UPS...Dish receiver, TV, DVD recorder, Blu-ray player...most things that would be severely affected by a sudden loss of power.

That's smart. Most electronics now are so cheaply made and the components are so small they can't handle much power fluctuation.

There are two different elements to this, will most TVs be 4K capable, and will 4K be a standard format for content.

In the next 5 years or so, most mid to high end TVs will probably be 4K. The manufacturers need something to differentiate the higher margin units and the only other features getting any love are curves, OLED, and glasses free 3D, all of which 4K plays well with. The 3D TV hype was as much about getting an extra $100 out of the buyer as anything else. Normal feature creep will push it down to the lower end units over the longer term.

I have real doubts about 4K becoming a standard/routine content format. I doubt we will see USA 4K, TNT 4K, etc in the era of linear TV. Big Brother is not forcing the issue this time, SD would still be much more prevalent if it weren't for the government mandate.

There will be plenty of content over time. VOD, premium content, niche channels and sports - ESPN 3D will likely become ESPN 4K, etc.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Everyone talking about older CRT type TVs, answer this: How many "threw away" a perfectly working CRT after getting a flat-panel ?

We did - I had (2) in the garage thinking we'd use them for something, give them to someone, or sell them in a garage sale/Craigslist. In the end, one went to Goodwill and the other to a homeless shelter. Our 57" rear-projection HDTV is still working and in our son's room.

On Craigslist, some silly people still try to sell them (you know damn well they're thinking "I paid $700 for this 15 years ago!) while most know better and list them for free. I also see them out by the curb for either the scrappers to take (they don't) or garbage to pick up (they won't take anything over 27" or maybe it's 30-something).

Just a few weeks ago, my old 32" CRT was out on the curb waiting for a local recycler to pick it up. Like clockwork, there they were. Mind you, the CRT was working just fine, it just got replaced. A few months back my neighbor had a 55" rear projection on the curb, same recycler, picked up and gone. That TV was a goner, both ways....

When you say "recycler", you mean the folks who usually do this the day before regular trash pickup ? They drive past TVs around here.... Oh wait, no, some do stop -- they cut off the power cord for that small amount of copper ! I'm not kidding either.

When you say "recycler", you mean the folks who usually do this the day before regular trash pickup ? They drive past TVs around here.... Oh wait, no, some do stop -- they cut off the power cord for that small amount of copper ! I'm not kidding either.

No, they come by about once a month, place a very colorful flyer on your house. You put your address on the flyer, attach it to the item and they pick it up on the day that they say they will be by. A while back, I put a dead refrigerator out there and they picked it up...

I predict that in the next 3 -4 years you will only be able to buy 4K televisions.

This is not a fad like 3D was.

My only wondering is how far is it until we see 8K.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
As soon as 4k is widely adopted you will see the 8k tvs hitting the market. It is always about getting the consumer to buy something else. I am completely happy with hd and only wish that the rest of the sd channels would be put out in nothing but HD.

The 57" HDTV we bought years ago wasn't bought solely to get HDTV programming. We bought it because our CRT "broke" (got it repaired for under $100). Outside of this crowd, most people don't buy a new TV unless they "have" to. Yes, some do almost as a status symbol type thing (bragging rights) and then there's a tiny % who do because they "have" to have the latest stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)