Dish and Broadband Connection

russellhess

Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
I just moved my wireless dsl router and modem into the tv stand. I plugged the Dish receiver into the router just because i could really. I also have the phone line connected.

What does having the Dish receiver plugged into my dsl/broadband connection get me? Anything that just having the phoneline plugged in doesn't?:confused:

Aparently nothing much yet... mostly the ability to download some pay-per-view movies (don't know how fast it is, never used it, selection is crappy and prices not enticing.) Also, I believe your receiver will use the internet connection to call back instead of the phone (mine appears to be doing that). In fact, I have three receivers that are also linked through the DishComm option and none appear to be using the phone line anymore.

Eventually, we had been promised the ability to program our DVRs from the web anywhere. Some people tested a beta version of the utility (search in this site for the comments). The rest of us... still waiting.

Cheers,

Aparently nothing much yet... mostly the ability to download some pay-per-view movies (don't know how fast it is, never used it, selection is crappy and prices not enticing.) Also, I believe your receiver will use the internet connection to call back instead of the phone (mine appears to be doing that). In fact, I have three receivers that are also linked through the DishComm option and none appear to be using the phone line anymore.

Eventually, we had been promised the ability to program our DVRs from the web anywhere. Some people tested a beta version of the utility (search in this site for the comments). The rest of us... still waiting.

Cheers,
Not pay-per-view, rather Video on Demand.

Geoff

Which has nothing anyone wants to watch so basically you get nothing. In the future things will look up and we will get more stuff. Or in Dish terms "soon".
I intentionally did NOT make a judgment statement about Video-on-Demand. I agree that everything is grossly over-priced and that there is nothing even reasonably new. My point was that it is not pay-per-view, rather it is video-on-demand.

Geoff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)