Dish and Comcast on one Coax?

galasub

Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Hello,

I am a new member to the forum. Very honestly, I am a total novice to any satellite – Dish is my first install. As, perhaps, many, I have a question that led me to become a member…

I have Comcast cable and Dish.

Comcast set up:
- I am a long time Comcast customer with Cable, Phone and Internet
- Need to keep the same set-up to keep the high speed internet cost low
- Have only one cable box (converter) for extended basic and Ala carte etc.

Dish set up:
- Dish is installed about a week ago
- Only subscribed for South Asian Mega Pack
- Dish has installed 625 – dual DVR
- Dish box is set up in my basement where Dish and Comcast can be connected to the box

Coax Connections:
- Comcast has a splitter outside of the house with three coaxes
o One coax run to basement (Dish box is here; Dish TV 1)
o Second coax runs from my attic to living room with in wall coax (Dish TV 2)
(I need to and can run another coax from outside and drop it where TV 2 is)
o Third coax runs to basement in home office (used for internet only)

- Dish Connections:
o Dish has their box installed in the basement – as TV 1; where I can connect Comcast and Dish both
o Dish installer took the living room cable from outside Comcast splitter and connected it to Dish; so, I am left without Comcast in my living room at the moment

At the time of Dish install, I had only one TV (Dish TV 2) - a Sharp Aquos with 3 HDMIs, an S Video and one Coax in puts - that works just fine with Dish but NO Comcast.

Now, I am in the market to buy another TV (a Plasma) for the basement. And that is where I am totally confused on how to get things done;

• I would like to keep only ONE coax for my living room TV (as at present) to carry Comcast as well as Dish
    • How do I achieve it? (I do have a DVD player)
    • Is it possible to view Dish in HD on TV 2; If so, how do I achieve it?
  • Will I need another Comcast box to view in HD on TV 2 or is there a box from Comcast that can work like the Dish 625?
I only have a concept of what I want – and will appreciate any/all advice to achieve it.

Thanks in advance!

Well, put on your thinking cap, this gets a bit involved :) I take it it's impossible to get another line into that room.

You can share one cable to carry both "cable" TV and Satellite signal (the line between the dish and receiver) by using a pair of parts called "diplexers". The problem is that the model receiver you have, the 625, is a twin tuner/2 room model and it needs that line to also send information to TV2, usually on channel 73.

Through a real mess of splitters & diplexers you could hook it up to accomplish what your trying to do but you are then sending channel 73 (or whatever chan you set) back up the line to your cable company and even if they don't notice it and complain it usually doesn't work anyway, the cable signal tends to swamp the TV2 output signal from the Dish rec.

If you stopped using the TV2 portion of the 625 and only used it for the basement TV, it would work. You would also get better DVR functionality and PIP right from the 625.

Good Luck,
Brad

Well, put on your thinking cap, this gets a bit involved :) I take it it's impossible to get another line into that room.

You can share one cable to carry both "cable" TV and Satellite signal (the line between the dish and receiver) by using a pair of parts called "diplexers". The problem is that the model receiver you have, the 625, is a twin tuner/2 room model and it needs that line to also send information to TV2, usually on channel 73.

Through a real mess of splitters & diplexers you could hook it up to accomplish what your trying to do but you are then sending channel 73 (or whatever chan you set) back up the line to your cable company and even if they don't notice it and complain it usually doesn't work anyway, the cable signal tends to swamp the TV2 output signal from the Dish rec.

If you stopped using the TV2 portion of the 625 and only used it for the basement TV, it would work. You would also get better DVR functionality and PIP right from the 625.

Good Luck,
Brad
Hello Brad1138,

First, Thank You for your response.

Actually, I CAN run another physical line to the living room from my attic (to TV 2)
Based on it, do you think there is any hope to get where I want to be?

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts