Dish and DirecTV once again in talks despite antitrust.

The RV Roam account is $150/month. $200 is you want global coverage.

i'm waiting to hear amazons pricing as i am curious if they will charge for roaming well atleast if one like you has an rv acct.. it seems every time musk opens his mouth there's data caps and the cost goes up. i thought it was supossed to be affordable???

i'm waiting to hear amazons pricing as i am curious if they will charge for roaming well atleast if one like you has an rv acct.. it seems every time musk opens his mouth there's data caps and the cost goes up. i thought it was supossed to be affordable???
I think competition will bring Starlink's pricing in line with market conditions eventually.

I do wonder how many in rural areas subscribe.

I google’d how many Rural Households in the United States, average number was 20 million, if everyone in those areas subscribed to Satellite, they would have 3 million more who subscribe. ( as of now, DirecTV Satellite is under 10 Million, Dish, roughly, 7 Million).

Then of course, how many subscribe in Urban areas, if a 70/30 split, that is almost 12 million in urban, 5 million in Rural.

Then what do the other 15 million in rural areas do for TV, then how many get broadband, for example, I live in a rural area, but I have broadband thanks to the Federal and Florida State Government tossing money at Charter.

The point is, I do not believe Rural areas are the big money for Satellite as many think it is.
now that yttv has sunday ticket maybe football finantics will be the push to get better internet nationwide ( reach quality and minimum bandwith ) will be interesting to see what happens

Reactions: charlesrshell
Cheap Charlie’s Dish Network‘s loss of subscribers is less then DirecTV, right now, Dish loses about 800,000 a year, DirecTV 2 million a year, it is expected that DirecTV losses in 2023 will be about 3-3.5 million because of Sunday Ticket going to YT.
By you. Actually, of course, it seems hard to believe that more customers than actually had ST would leave because it is not longer available. Yes, the inferior service, aimed at a different market segment, had less to start with, and thus is losing less in raw numbers.

It remains true that DISH and DirecTV remain aimed at different market segments. DISH is for cheap people. Always has been. Today it is for cheap people that can't get internet, or cheap people that don't want internet (yes, they exist). Different market segment.
So based on the math, Dish Network should have more subscribers by the end of 2024.
That is not "math". That is predicting a trend based on an assumption, without any facts to support it, will continue. If a woman has a baby this year, the "math" does not say that she will therefore have 15 in the next 15 years.
The math is reason why Dish should not merge with DirecTV and shows that it is about 3 years from being unprofitable.
Like streaming?

Actually, of course, since DBS fills a market niche that no other service can, it will remain profitable for many decades to come.
Sling has over 2 million which shows Cheap Charlie with another win since it is a million more then Stream.
Which would be the other "win"? Having the #2 service in a 2 service market for decades?
Considering DirecTV is now valued at $15 Billion and AT&T paid $67 Billion for it, I would not be talking profits.
You probably would not. We have established you don't understand the difference between market valuation and profitability. I understand the Dish and DirecTV are profitable. 19 out of 20 streamers are not. Not changing soon.

Taken to the extreme, since DBS are supposedly never going to invest in new satellites, etc. why would they ever be "unprofitable". If you buy ESPN for $7 and sell it for $8, that is profit.
DirecTV better hurry up and start building Satellites then and finding some customers.
They will. Because DBS fills a role that no other service can, and that role is, unlike streaming, a path to profit, the Market, which abhors a vacuum will fill that role, for decades to come.

By you. Actually, of course, it seems hard to believe that more customers than actually had ST would leave because it is not longer available.
I wrote 3 million this year, 2 Million is what normally leaves, plus 1 Million out of the 2 Million that still paid for ST.
It remains true that DISH and DirecTV remain aimed at different market segments. DISH is for cheap people. Always has been. Today it is for cheap people that can't get internet, or cheap people that don't want internet (yes, they exist). Different market segment.
Considering cheap people, did you not post that you pay $0 for your DirecTV and share it with your Landlord as part of your rent?
That is not "math". That is predicting a trend based on an assumption, without any facts to support it, will continue. If a woman has a baby this year, the "math" does not say that she will therefore have 15 in the next 15 years.
It is math, loss in 2021 was 4.7 million for pay TV, 5.8 million in 2022, a increase of 22%, the percentage of increase goes up every year.

But since we do not know the level of increase yet, we apply the 22% that we have now, so 2 Million left DirecTV last year, so with the 22% increase, 2.44 million lost in 2023, 2.9 million in 2024, plus the 1-1.5 million additional lost because of DirecTV losing ST, so 6-7 million gone in 2 years, then Dish should buy it .
You probably would not. We have established you don't understand the difference between market valuation and profitability. I understand the Dish and DirecTV are profitable. 19 out of 20 streamers are not. Not changing soon.
Oh I do understand it do you?

Are you telling me when a company(AT&T) buys a company (DirecTV for $67 Billion) their plan is to run it into the ground and losses $52 Billion dollars in value ( now at $15 Billion).

By the way, I looked up how much profit DirecTV has made since AT&T bought them, looks to be, roughly, 30 Billion, so still in the negative then.
Taken to the extreme, since DBS are supposedly never going to invest in new satellites, etc. why would they ever be "unprofitable".
Because they are losing so many subscriber, duh.

And DirecTV loses a much higher percentage of subs compared to Dish.
They will. Because DBS fills a role that no other service can, and that role is, unlike streaming, a path to profit, the Market, which abhors a vacuum will fill that role, for decades to come.
If they never launch another Satellite….how?

Considering cheap people, did you not post that you pay $0 for your DirecTV and share it with your Landlord as part of your rent?

Yes, I live in a luxury gated apartment complex. I don't pay individually for TV, or the internet, or most utilities. And? I wouldn't not pay what I pay now if they started deleting the included things. I did the math when I rented the place.
It is math, loss in 2021 was 4.7 million for pay TV, 5.8 million in 2022, a increase of 22%, the percentage of increase goes up every year.
Because people are sitting around waiting for streaming to come to their town?

"Yes, ma'am, sweetheart, next year we are gonna get us some of that streaming."

Everybody that wants streaming, and can get the internet to support it, has it.
Oh I do understand it do you?

Are you telling me when a company(AT&T) buys a company (DirecTV for $67 Billion) their plan is to run it into the ground and losses $52 Billion dollars in value ( now at $15 Billion).
Apparently you don't understand. Let's use an analogy to get this basic concept down.

Jim believes that the local diner, Eat At Joe's, will make $5000/year. Jim pays Joe $50,000, which is what he thinks it is worth. Turns out that Eat At Joe's, because they put in a new bypass, only makes $2000 profit on-going.

Was buying Eat At Joe's a profitable move for Jim? No. Also not the question.

Is Eat At Joe's profitable? Yes.

Really pretty basic.

By the way, I looked up how much profit DirecTV has made since AT&T bought them, looks to be, roughly, 30 Billion, so still in the negative then.
Actually $30B is a positive number.
If they never launch another Satellite….how?
They will launch satellites as the need arises. The Market, the only perfect thing that can exist on Earth, abhors a vacuum. Since there are, and always will be, millions of rural (and suburban) people who cannot get good internet and never will be, someone will take their money. The question is whether its Cheap Charlie for his Pluto like service, or will people still have the ability to never compromise and get DirecTV.

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo
Actually $30B is a positive number.
Umm no, they paid $67 Billion, made $30 Billion, valued at $15 Billion for a merger or a sale, so still a loss of $22 Billion if sold/merged.

And that value goes down everyday with the loss of subscribers.

Since there are, and always will be, millions of rural (and suburban) people who cannot get good internet and never will be…

Why do you say this? StarLink is already up and running and is moving to global coverage (except near the poles). And OneWeb, Project Kuiper and other similar Internet providers from orbit are coming. For businesses and individuals. Again, near global coverage.

Why do you say this? StarLink is already up and running and is moving to global coverage (except near the poles). And OneWeb, Project Kuiper and other similar Internet providers from orbit are coming. For businesses and individuals. Again, near global coverage.
I don't know the status of Starlink at the North pole, but the South pole, specifically McMurdo Station and other remote sites, are now getting Internet service.

I don't know the status of Starlink at the North pole, but the South pole, specifically McMurdo Station and other remote sites, are now getting Internet service.

So there are some rural areas of our country still waiting for broadband internet and a underpopulated land with no country who owns it -on the South Pole that has internet? :onthego

• Sad
Reactions: charlesrshell