Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Triple posted

Original here

I believe they will win the appeal. Whoever the judge is that worked the case is an idiot as are most old judges when it comes to technology. The clear play system filters language and nudity and auto hop isn't even a filter at all. It just simply skips commercials, but the commercials are still technically there. It's two seperate technologies and it's absurd a judge would rule in favor of clear play.

I believe they will win the appeal. Whoever the judge is that worked the case is an idiot as are most old judges when it comes to technology. The clear play system filters language and nudity and auto hop isn't even a filter at all. It just simply skips commercials, but the commercials are still technically there. It's two seperate technologies and it's absurd a judge would rule in favor of clear play.

It was a jury trial. They still might win an appeal. I don't know the technical details of the patent or what DISH does with autohop but it wasn't a judge who ruled against them.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Triple posted

Original here
So, what does this really mean??? Will Dish Customers no longer have access to having Auto Hop on Local Networks???

I have moved to streaming and the skip forward 30 seconds. I never ever watch live TV. The autohopping was a fantastic idea that got destroyed by the networks. Most people do not understand advertising is the main way TV shows are funded,

These patent suits often end up with the parties reaching a licensing agreement.
or a settlement, for example-

On Monday, the companies announced they had settled their ongoing patent litigation, with Dish and EchoStar agreeing to pay TiVo $500 million, including an initial payment of $300 million, with the remaining $200 million to be distributed in six equal annual installments between 2012 and 2017. With earlier payments factored in, Dish's TiVo-related bill will exceed $600 million.

or a settlement, for example-

On Monday, the companies announced they had settled their ongoing patent litigation, with Dish and EchoStar agreeing to pay TiVo $500 million, including an initial payment of $300 million, with the remaining $200 million to be distributed in six equal annual installments between 2012 and 2017. With earlier payments factored in, Dish's TiVo-related bill will exceed $600 million.

Did you miss this part of the agreement?

"Under the agreement, TiVo granted Dish a license for the patent and some "related patents" for the remaining life of those patents, and EchoStar has issued TiVo a license for some of its DVR-related patents to cover TiVo-branded, co-branded and "ingredient-branded" products."

Judge overturns the jury's verdict. Now DISH has WON the lawsuit and won't have to pay.

Last edited:
Judge overturns the jury's verdict. Now DISH has WON the lawsuit and won't have to pay.
I suppose the other party could appeal. Of course Dish should be paying their lawyers to answer the phones-not defend against lawsuits! All hands on deck!