Dish and Sprint?

CCI just laid fiber to my small town of 962 people. That should increase the speed on our Verizon tower, which is the only carrier here, and was previously fed by copper. It also increased my DSL speeds to 50/10 which is like a dream come true, as I only had 20/1.5 before.

Yea, you should leave everything turned off for at least 30 minutes to be sure, unless you're watching it and see when it finishes. :)

I'm currently in the southern Adirondacks connected to a Verizon tower that's microwave linked to a tower with a fiber backhaul.

Is it that fast when there is a rain storm between the two towers? Microwave is a decent solution, but still not as desirable as fiber. There is a reason the high-speed traders all want fiber connections to the NYSE and NASDAQ networks. Where my parents live in Morris, NY, there is no usable wireless coverage, despite what the maps say. There is a tower ready and waiting for FirstNet and whoever else wants to put antennas on it. Apparently microwave won't work, and the only fiber into town is owned by Frontier (which is down more than up), and Spectrum, who have not been able to fully deploy their DOCSIS 3.1 tech due to backhaul limitations.

Is it that fast when there is a rain storm between the two towers? Microwave is a decent solution, but still not as desirable as fiber. There is a reason the high-speed traders all want fiber connections to the NYSE and NASDAQ networks. Where my parents live in Morris, NY, there is no usable wireless coverage, despite what the maps say. There is a tower ready and waiting for FirstNet and whoever else wants to put antennas on it. Apparently microwave won't work, and the only fiber into town is owned by Frontier (which is down more than up), and Spectrum, who have not been able to fully deploy their DOCSIS 3.1 tech due to backhaul limitations.

We've had a lot of rain here today with no noticeable speed loss. I agree direct fiber is preferable, but it's not always practical depending on the tower location.

People are always complaining about Sprints coverage and being a long time Sprint customer, at times I can agree. But....... There are areas that I have traveled that my wife's Verizon phone is having issues with week signal so I pull out my Sprint phone and have full bars. Also occurs at my daughters college. Same thing, me full bars and hers, hardly a signal. I guess what I am getting at is that I have found over the years that depends where you live and where you use your phone determines what Co. is best for you.

People are always complaining about Sprints coverage and being a long time Sprint customer, at times I can agree. But....... There are areas that I have traveled that my wife's Verizon phone is having issues with week signal so I pull out my Sprint phone and have full bars. Also occurs at my daughters college. Same thing, me full bars and hers, hardly a signal. I guess what I am getting at is that I have found over the years that depends where you live and where you use your phone determines what Co. is best for you.

Yep

That's why we have both AT&T and Verizon cell service. We've yet to find anyplace where one or the other didn't work well, including a number of places where Sprint and T-Mobile where completely absent even with our Max Amp RV booster/repeater.

I am a Verizon guy my damn self. I hope Charlie does whatever it takes for him to help keep DISH and Hoppers going. If he has to purchase Sprint, so be it. I just hope he stays as the man in charge. ;)
Why do you want him to stay in charge? Every year there are multiple outages on Dish! Is he a bad negotiator? Partly to blame? Or is it the programmers fault? Make me understand. I don't get it. It sounds like bad business to me. But, Who am I? Nobody...

Reactions: charlesrshell
Why do you want him to stay in charge? Every year there are multiple outages on Dish! Is he a bad negotiator? Partly to blame? Or is it the programmers fault? Make me understand. I don't get it. It sounds like bad business to me. But, Who am I? Nobody...

It's apparently the greed of the content owners. As an example, if somebody is fortunate enough to get an OTA signal for free I can't figure out why their neighbor should have to pay $1, $2 or even $3 a month for the same channel delivered over satellite.

All the other channels seem to cost more and more every time a contract renewal comes up too so it's a vicious circle with the customer being the loser.

Just my $0.02: I like that Charlie at least tries to keep the content costs down. The content providers have built a house of cards they struggle to pay for without huge price increases to the people who subscribe to their channels. They created new channels almost no one watches, populated with shows almost no one is interested in, so why should we be forced to pay for them just because they want incremental revenue increases to show their stockholders? They apparently cannot achieve that by delivering good content for which they could charge more for advertising, so they try to get the money out of us, the people who don't watch their crap. I say let them deal with Charlie, who is interested in fighting the idiocy.

Is he perfect? No, but you take the bad with the good. Do I wish I still had HBO on Dish? Absolutely, but I am willing to go without to keep AT&T from making everyone pay for the fraction of Dish subscribers that actually watch HBO. I know Dish has the stats, so I'd be curious to know how many Dish customers who subscribed to HBO actually watched a single HBO show in a given week. I'll bet it wasn't anywhere near the total number of HBO subscribers, and I suspect that is one reason Dish wouldn't commit to a minimum number of subscribers.

That's why we have both AT&T and Verizon cell service. We've yet to find anyplace where one or the other didn't work well, including a number of places where Sprint and T-Mobile where completely absent even with our Max Amp RV booster/repeater.

Somebody once posted here that VZW and ATT were considered "primary" carriers while TMO and Sprint were "secondary." There are many areas here where the latter have zero cells on towers that are otherwise occupied by VZW and ATT. TMO tries to get around these physical limitations by adding frequencies that carry farther, but they still lack an actual cell presence. Sprint hasn't tried at all, IMO.

Meanwhile, over the past year, I have seen Verizon actually adding cells in areas that formerly had a gap. Verizon spends the money and does it right. That's why I am loyal.

I think if you live in a major metropolitan area, stay there and travel very little one phone service is about as good as another. If however you travel a lot of backroads or get more than a mile from an interstate with any regularity Verizon or ATT is the only way to go to me. When I want to depend on my service the most is when I am in the middle of nowhere and that is where Sprint and TMobile fail miserably. I went for a ride in the woods a few weeks ago. At one point I was 10 miles from a paved road I still had 2 bars with Verizon. Multiple people I was with had no service.

It's apparently the greed of the content owners. As an example, if somebody is fortunate enough to get an OTA signal for free I can't figure out why their neighbor should have to pay $1, $2 or even $3 a month for the same channel delivered over satellite.

All the other channels seem to cost more and more every time a contract renewal comes up too so it's a vicious circle with the customer being the loser.
I agree. It should be illegal to charge someone for the same product while providing it free to others, how they receive this same product should be irrelevant. Furthermore, since Dish is expanding the market for these channels at no cost to them, one would think it is they that should be paying Dish, not the other way around.

Charlie has been trying to dump dish for years.

Why do you think Echostar and Dish are separate companies?

The video business is done. The future is internet and wireless

Dish was spun out of Echostar to ‘unlock’ the value of both companies. Issue more shares get more capital and a way to issue more bonds.

Reactions: Almighty1
Around here it's AT&T coverage that's doing the expanding, mainly thanks to the public/private FirstNet build out. The government is helping to pay for a first responder's network that regular also customers use.

FirstNet Grows By 50,000 Square Miles of LTE Coverage | AT&T

I guess it all depends on who applies for the grants and uses them. About 10 years ago, VZW received grants from the "Broadband in Rural America" program, which brought the first (and still only) carrier to my town :)

PS- Unless you count US Cellular, which is "roaming" here.

Here's how I look at it. Dish is the only provider with a semi-ala-carte offering in the Flex Pack. They are also the only provider AFAIK that allows customers to drop locals and their related cost. These items would not be possible if not for some tough negotiations which probably led to additional and extended outages over the years. Was it worth it? To me, it was/is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)