Dish antenna from inside of the apartment?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

subzerony

Original poster
May 26, 2008
I live in a building which doesn’t allow to install dish antennas is there something I can use from inside of my apartment to have satellite?

but to answer your question..
yes, you can set up a dish inside your apartment. assuming you are in North America, it MUST be a south facing window. Depending on where you are, you will need to take into account that the satellites are higher then you think. When you look at a Dish Network dish you need to think of the angle between the feeds and the face of the dish. I would draw you a picture of what I mean but my scanner is in a semi trailer somewhere in Chicago.

Your odds of success are probsably less than 10%. There is signal loss through the glass/ in ability to aim accurately/ and the obstruction the dish and mount become on the floor.
Settle for cable or move to a more satellite friendly location.

Your odds of success are probsably less than 10%. There is signal loss through the glass/ in ability to aim accurately/ and the obstruction the dish and mount become on the floor.
Settle for cable or move to a more satellite friendly location.

your odds of success are more like 60% or better if your window faces the right way and you have a clear view.

i have seen apartments in many cities with dishes inside upper story windows

i am sure people dont just have the dish sitting at there window and not using them,so i figure they must be getting a signal.

Oh,and NEVER settle for cable,what kind of reply is that anyway? :rolleyes:

Yes, you can do it if you are facing the right direction. If you have lead screens, you'll have to take those out.

And if you have a balcony, they are not allowed to restrict you from putting a dish out there. They may not allow you to attach it to their building.

But a 5-gallon bucket (or nice planter) + 1 bag of quickrete + 1 4x4 post = good mount.

It is very difficult in Southern California with the high look angles - I have tried it with little success. Any kind of overhang is going to kill your signal unless you can get your dish in just the right spot on the floor. It would probably be a bit easier in northern latitudes, but I couldn't say for certain.

You could also attach your dish to the outside of a window frame using clamps or hooks if you really want to get daring. There are also flat-panel phased array antennas that you can attach to the outside of a window with suction cups.

Went on a service call once. Customer installed his dish him self but he could not get signal. The dish was mounted in the center of the living room floor. (I have pictures) right through the hard wood floors It did work and after it was pointed correctly it had good signal.

I have had my dish in my bedroom pointing through my window for two years now. It works great! In order for it to work, however, I have to keep a double-pane up and out of the way, and I replaced the remaining single pane with plexiglass.

Do not give up -- as long as you can get a view of the SE sky, you might have a good chance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts