Dish-Antenna interference?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cah1975

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Is it possible that if my tv antenna and sat. dish are pointing in a direction where the path to their sources intersect with one another that they could cause interference? A couple of times this week some of my Chicago locals lost strength when I had them viewed through my Dish 211. When I turned off the 211 and watched the channels through the tv the channel seemed to keep it's strength better. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? The channels in question are about 60 miles away (no obstructions, just across Lake Michigan) from me and I have a decent antenna with pre-amp.

Doubtful, especially since the dish is looking upward more that it looks like (about 22 degrees above the perpendicular to the rim of the dish).

Also, the 211 does not really turn off, it just goes into stand-by mode, for your experiment to have validity, you need to repeatedly show a one to one relationship between unplugging the 211/re-connecting the 211 and signal loss on your TV.

It is more probable that the TV has a slightly better tuner than the 211.

The signals coming down through the air for DBS are 12.2Ghz to 12.7 Ghz. Your locals are broadcast between 50Mhz and 860Mhz. That's a helluva spread so they aren't likely interfering with each other. Also the antenna band is coming across at probably about 0-1 degrees elevation whereas the satellites are probably 30 degrees for your area. You probably have some terrestrial interference or multi-pathing of your channels on their way to you from the transmitter. The lake itself may be the cause. Different tuners such as your TV and 211 probably have differing abilities to cope with weak or noisy signals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)