Dish anywhere app iPhone versus Android apps regarding fast forwarding.

Phxbro

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
The main reason I got dish was for the dish anywhere app so I can watch live and recorded TV at work. I have the app on my Samsung Galaxy s5 and it works pretty well but my biggest complaint is the fast forward button. Seems to fast forward at 300x speed and when you press play it doesn't stop fast forwarding until about 5 seconds later so all the time I fast forward way too much and I'm playing a game of trying to rewind back and forth. The skip forward 10 seconds or however long it is isn't a good option either because it's too slow. Scrubbing the time bar (if that's what you call it) probably works best but it's a shot in the dark if you go to far ahead and not. So I see my self more and more just watching the commercials on my recorded shows on my phone because I don't want to deal with fast forwarding.

Anyway because I got dish for this one feature I want to make sure I have the best phone to do the job. I would be willing to switch from my S5 to an iPhone if the dishanywhere app is better and especially the fast forward button. Unfortunately I don't have an iPhone to try this out on so can someone give me your experience with the iPhone app?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I tested i t and it took around 4 second from the time I hit fast forward for the video to start fast forwarding. And another 3 seconds from the time I hit play and the time it started playing.

Each time you press the fast forward button (while it is fast forwarding) it fast forwards faster. :) This is on an iPhone 5S

I tested i t and it took around 4 second from the time I hit fast forward for the video to start fast forwarding. And another 3 seconds from the time I hit play and the time it started playing.

Each time you press the fast forward button (while it is fast forwarding) it fast forwards faster. :) This is on an iPhone 5S
Scott it sounds like you experience the same thing I do! Wish I was more familiar with sling and if this is something common. I'll have to wait for someone with an iPhone to reply to clear it all up

This was from an iPhone.

Remember there is latency with the connection, and you are watching something that has been encoded for you phone. The encoding process takes a second or two as well... and there is a slight buffer as well so if you miss data packets you wont notice because it will have tried to get those packets again.

Oh I completely read what phone you had wrong, dyslexic moment I guess

This was from an iPhone.

Remember there is latency with the connection, and you are watching something that has been encoded for you phone. The encoding process takes a second or two as well... and there is a slight buffer as well so if you miss data packets you wont notice because it will have tried to get those packets again.
When you hit the fast forward button one time does it seem to run faster than say pressing the fast forward button one time on the Hopper? I swear when I hit fast forward one time it seems to go 300x.

And I'm asking in general about your iPhone app

Nope first time I hit it, it was a slow fast forward (Maybe 2 times?)... next time I hit it it went faster (Maybe 60x) and 3rd time I hit it is flew! (like 300x)

Nope first time I hit it, it was a slow fast forward (Maybe 2 times?)... next time I hit it it went faster (Maybe 60x) and 3rd time I hit it is flew! (like 300x)
Damn that sounds wonderful. I will have to make sure I hit the fast forward button only one time. Maybe my fat fingers hold it down longer. If that doesn't fix it I think I'm switching to an iPhone

Damn that sounds wonderful. I will have to make sure I hit the fast forward button only one time. Maybe my fat fingers hold it down longer. If that doesn't fix it I think I'm switching to an iPhone

I think that may be your problem. My Galaxy Note 2 works the same. Press FFW once it is kind of slow, press again and it is faster, press 3rd time it is zooming along at 300x. I still find the 30sec skip the best whether on phone, tablet, or sitting in front of the tv. I rarely ever use the ffw buttons.

Just picked up the iPhone 6. Worth it. Especially since I paid $36. Lol. I will have to test the DA out on it when I'm in the right mind and have cognitive function back. Disadvantage to when friends from the army come into town....

Just picked up the iPhone 6. Worth it. Especially since I paid $36. Lol. I will have to test the DA out on it when I'm in the right mind and have cognitive function back. Disadvantage to when friends from the army come into town....
Nice! Looking forward to what your going to say about DA

So just did it. Slurred my counting in my head even. Lol. But it fast forward about one or times, slow, but it always stopped where I hit play. May have taken about two or three seconds to respond, but the screen would pause then play from the same screen on I hit play. I'm not saying noone else, has a different experience, but this baby is working great for me.

I have experienced a variety of different problems with DA and skipping commercials. On my iPad WiFi, like you I just watched the commercials. There were just too many anomalies, including starting the show from the beginning instead of after the commercial. On the PC in my home office, on the same wired Ethernet network, the 30 second skip forward jus inconsistent. Sometimes it goes 60 seconds sometimes 20 seconds. It definitly shows latency, which should not be there with everything plugged into the same router.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts